ESPN Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESPN Poll

Concerning the question of rivalries in the poll, I am a little surprised some of you former players are allowing the revisionist history to take place.

By the way, MJA, tonight is "Dukes of Hazzard" night at the Birdcage, with James Best on hand in person, and a "daisy dukes" contest as well.

Comment

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, there is nothing "revisionist" about it. The question is "Best rivalry?". Since we no longer play USD I don't consider them a rival. If ESPN had asked best all time rival, opening it up to past rivalries, I would have voted differently.

Over at the North Dakota poll UND vs NDSU isn't even a choice. So I really think it makes sense (even from a USD prospective) that the NDSU vs SDSU rivalry is running away with the vote. That is unless you are talking about the big Skyforce vs Wizard rivalry, in which case I wouldn't be able to help you.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Our friends down in Vermillion had a busy weekend stuffing the ballot box.
        1) Most memorable sports moment?

42.4% Adam Vinatieri kicks game-winning field goal vs. Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI (2002)

25.2% Univ. of South Dakota wins NCAA Div. II basketball title (1958)

15.0% South Dakota State wins NCAA Div. II basketball title on Sid Bostic's 40-foot shot (1963)

8.4% Adam Vinatieri kicks game-winning field goal vs. Panthers in Super Bowl XXXVIII (2004)

5.4% Billy Mills wins gold in 10,000-meter race at Olympics (1964)

1.8% Josh Heupel leads Oklahoma Univ. to win in Orange Bowl and national title (2001)

1.1% Orlando Magic select Mike Miller with fifth overall pick in NBA draft (2000)

0.6% Carrol Hardy pinch hits for Ted Williams, only player ever to do so (1960)

2) Favorite sport?

48.0% Basketball

34.0% Football

5.0% Baseball

4.4% Rodeo

4.1% Fishing

1.6% Golf

1.2% Hockey

1.1% Auto racing

0.5% Soccer

3) Favorite pro team?

49.7% Minnesota Vikings

17.1% Denver Broncos

13.0% Minnesota Twins

8.4% New York Yankees

4.7% Chicago Cubs

3.6% Green Bay Packers

2.2% Minnesota Timberwolves

0.7% Colorado Avalanche

0.5% Minnesota Wild

4) Favorite state team?

33.0% South Dakota State (basketball)

30.1% Univ. of South Dakota (football)

27.2% South Dakota State (football)

5.5% Sioux Falls Skyforce (basketball)

4.2% Univ. of South Dakota (basketball)

5) Best rivalry?

56.9% South Dakota State vs. North Dakota State (football)

38.6% Univ. of South Dakota vs. South Dakota State (football)

4.4% Sioux Falls Skyforce vs. Dakota Wizards (basketball)

6) Best homegrown product?

45.2% Billy Mills (track and field)

26.0% Mandy Koupal (basketball)

11.2% Sparky Anderson (coaching)

6.5% Mike Miller (basketball)

3.4% Derek Miles (track and field)

2.5% Casey Tibbs (rodeo)

1.7% Becky Hammon (basketball)

1.5% Josh Heupel (football)

0.8% Frank Leahy (coaching)

0.6% Garney Henley (football)

0.5% Dave Collins (baseball)

0.1% Jack Maders (football)

7) Best in-state college or pro career?

33.0% Adam Vinatieri, South Dakota State

27.0% Mandy Koupal, Univ. of South Dakota

22.2% Jim Langer, South Dakota State

10.9% Adam Timmerman, South Dakota State

4.1% Derek Miles, Univ. of South Dakota

2.8% Lyle Alzado, Yankton College

8) Favorite personality or historical figure?

32.9% Tom Brokaw (newscaster)

32.2% Crazy Horse (Lakota leader)

19.3% Sitting Bull (Lakota leader)

8.9% Tom Daschle (politician)

2.4% Cheryl Ladd (actress)

2.3% Laura Ingalls Wilder (author)

1.1% Hubert Humphrey (politician)

0.5% George McGovern (politician)

0.3% Mary Hart (teleivision)

0.1% Shawn Colvin (musician)

9) Best place to watch an event?

37.6% DakotaDome (Univ. of South Dakota football)

37.0% Frost Arena (South Dakota St. basketball)

25.5% Coughlin Alumni Arena (South Dakota St. football)

10) Have you been to South Dakota?

92.2% Yes

7.8% No

Total Votes: 46,201

Comment

The Dakota Dome is ahead of Frost Arena for "best venue"? That's ridiculous.

Look, Rabbits, it's like Chicago politics: Vote early and vote often.

Back to voting. I have 30 minutes to spare.

Comment

The Dome is running away with it. ???

Comment

I also see that Mandy Koupal is catching up with Billy Mills (Best homegrown product, category) and Adam Vinatieri (Best in-state college or pro career, category). That is just plain embarrassing. Who outside of the region has heard of Mandy Koupal? :

Go State!

Comment

I assure you some one has designed a program to repeatedly vote.  Someone sympathetic to SDSU needs to do the same (I can't) or the results will favor USD.  Either way, its not a big deal.  They'll mention the poll results for 10 seconds on Wednesday and then they will be forgotten forever.  

By the end of the day all answers will favor the current trend. Mark my words. Some USD computer geek is pleasuring himself while he reads these posts. Good for him.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

USD's athletic director sent an e-mail to USD alumni encouraging them to vote. I've seen the e-mail.

Last Friday (8/5) around 36,000 people had voted. As of today (8/8) that number has increased to 56,439.

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                    USD's athletic director sent an e-mail to USD alumni encouraging them to vote.  I've seen the e-mail.

Last Friday (8/5) around 36,000 people had voted.  As of today (8/8) that number has increased to 56,439.
                    If the letter alone has lead to 20+ votes per hour all with the same result then kudos to the USD alums. I favor the "conspiracy theory".
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

At least the amount of votes shows how passionate SD fans are about their sports?  On a side note, of all the states ESPN has covered so far, I've yet to remember one poll result for that state.  I'm not even sure I've seen them cover the poll results for any given state.  I'm sure they do, but I don't remember seeing any.  The piece is going to be about the Rally, Mt. Rushmore and probably Deadwood.  Besides that, I'm not looking for anything too insightful.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

If the letter alone has lead to 20+ votes per hour all with the same result then kudos to the USD alums.  I favor the "conspiracy theory".
                        Hmmm. Today we're running about 500 votes per hour (total now at 61,000+) so my money is on automation and not grassroots support. I have a friend who works at ESPN.com. I think I'll ask him if he can find out where the votes are coming from. My guess is they're all from a single IP address.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                          Hmmm. Today we're running about 500 votes per hour (total now at 61,000+) so my money is on automation and not grassroots support. I have a friend who works at ESPN.com. I think I'll ask him if he can find out where the votes are coming from. My guess is they're all from a single IP address.
                          Ah, connections! ;D

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                            Concerning the question of rivalries in the poll, I am a little surprised some of you former players are allowing the revisionist history to take place.

The more I read this post the more I realize that Mike_H really doesn't know that much about SDSU and our rivals, current or former. Just an observation.

Comment

I smell a rat on this deal and the stench is coming in on a southern breeze.

Comment

From 9:22 pm last night (8/8) to 8:30 am this morning (8/9), 5,317 votes were cast. That is about 480 an hour. Some people don't sleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X