• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DI envy (probably a good thing)

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
    USD grads who became governor of SD 9
    SDSU grads who became governor of SD 1
    (and his daughter is attending USD)

Guess the leaders of the state come through little Vermintown.
    Irrelevant.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Shortfan: That's just a dumb statement.

So what. SDSU can claim the only Senate Leader. Now is it your turn? Who cares! Where is this going to end? Maybe the change in the governors office shows that USD string (?) of governors is now ended and a new era is starting.

Look, SDSU has decided to go to Division I. USD is Division II. If that bothers you so much, go talk to those in control at USD. Do you really expect to somehow make USD's image better by criticizing SDSU? You can't be serious!

USD is charting its own course and that's fine. SDSU is now Division I and why do you care? [There can be only one explanation and JackMD has been saying this all along: jealousy.]

Comment

I thought it was time to bring this back to the forefront as a reminder to those who don't seem to understand what true all-around athletic dominance SDSU demonstrated in the NCC.

Of the all-sports honor roll: SDSU women 4, SDSU men 11 including 4 of the last 5 years. You may also note the domination by the current DI schools UNI, NDSU and SDSU.

Womens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1982-83 South Dakota State, 1983-84 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1984-85 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1985-86 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1987-88 North Dakota State, 1988-89 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1989-90 North Dakota State, 1990-91 MSU, Mankato/North Dakota St., 1991-92 St. Cloud State, 1992-93 North Dakota, 1993-94 South Dakota State, 1994-95 South Dakota State, 1995-96 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1996-97 St. Cloud State/South Dakota State, 1997-98 Northern Colorado, 1998-99 North Dakota State, 1999-00 North Dakota State, 2000-01 North Dakota, 2001-02 North Dakota, 2002-03 Nebraska-Omaha, 2003-04 North Dakota.

Mens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1970-71 North Dakota St., 1971-72 Northern Iowa, 1972-73 Northern Iowa, 1973-74 Northern Iowa, 1974-75 Northern Iowa, 1975-76 Minnesota St., Mankato/South Dakota St., 1976-77 Northern Iowa, 1977-78 Northern Iowa, 1978-79 South Dakota St., 1979-80 South Dakota St., 1980-81 South Dakota St., 1981-82 North Dakota St., 1982-83 North Dakota St., 1983-84 North Dakota St., 1984-85 North Dakota St., 1985-86 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1987-88 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1988-89 North Dakota St., 1989-90 North Dakota St., 1990-91 North Dakota, 1991-92 South Dakota St., 1992-93 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1993-94 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1994-95 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1995-96 South Dakota St., 1996-97 South Dakota St., 1997-98 St. Cloud St., 1998-99 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1999-2000 South Dakota State, 2000-01 South Dakota State, 2001-02 South Dakota St., 2002-03 South Dakota State, 2003-04 North Dakota State.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Read my post about yesterday's Jackrabbit Club meeting Brookings under Football- Cal Poly. So many good things going on at SDSU. Yes the loss at MU was tough to deal with, but we came out a better team because of it. It certainly will not hurt our budget by going to Missoula.

Other things including the equestrian team where the support as indidicated has been unbelieveable. Alums have come forward with donations of cash, horses and willing to lease horse for the team.

Also AD Oien mention talks with 3 D1A football teams for the future with guarentees of 400 to 600k. Let the envy begin USD, as more is scheduled to come.

Also Brad Lowery was the athlete of honor at the meeting and he talked about the decision to stay with the SDSU even though he had a very good chance to win a D2 individual cross country championship. Brad put the guys he started with first and decided to stay.
          He feels and I have no reason to disagree, his brilliant running career will continue after leaving SDSU. He will graduate with a 3.75 GPA he indicated.

Comment

And this nine would include William Janklow. Enough said.

Comment

I will keep the political debate out of this, but I do have an interesting "normal life" type story about SDSU and our move to D1.

Past weekend I was honored to have participated in Cousin Matt's (SDSU asst basketball coach & Augie basketball grad) wedding in Okoboji, Iowa. The groomsmen included 3 (4 if you include Matt) Augie Basketball grads, 1 USD basketball grad and 2 SDSU football grads. The bride was an Augie volleyball grad (3 time all-american and most highly decorated athlete at the table as Matt's dad intentionally pointed out in his speech). Most of my uncles played basketball in college for schools not SDSU. Many are big Augie fans.

However, (and here's my point - shut it Wulf) the two football scores everyone was talking about was the Notre Dame score (Best man a grad of ND) and the SDSU score. Not once was the USD score mentioned or even wondered about. Same for the Augie score.

I'm not saying the Augie fans and USD fans are all converting to SDSU fans. That won't happen and there was still plenty of ribbing back and forth amongst the grads to prove it (felt good to say I was 4-1 over both schools). However, our scores are gaining increasingly more prevelance and relevance in the local sports scene. To the point where our scores will eventually drown out the other two much like the NCC teams used to do to Dak State and DWU.

"You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

One other thing. Augie grad Matt handed out SDSU tees as part of his groomsmen gifts. Gotta love it.

In case Matt glances at this board, I have to say I've had alot of good weekends in my life, but the 2 weekends involving his bachelor party and wedding were right up there as some of the best.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum

However, (and here's my point - shut it Wulf) the two football scores everyone was talking about was the Notre Dame score (Best man a grad of ND) and the SDSU score.  Not once was the USD score mentioned or even wondered about.  Same for the Augie score.

I'm not saying the Augie fans and USD fans are all converting to SDSU fans.  That won't happen and there was still plenty of ribbing back and forth amongst the grads to prove it (felt good to say I was 4-1 over both schools).  However, our scores are gaining increasingly more prevelance and relevance in the local sports scene.  To the point where our scores will eventually drown out the other two much like the NCC teams used to do to Dak State and DWU.
                  For the past 3 weeks most of the people at work (I work for the Judicial system) have been talking about the SDSU score every Monday rather than USD. This might have more to do with my support of SDSU (and the mini SDSU helmet on my desk) than it does with our move to D1, but the point remains the same. In fact, I had to come to the defense of USD to a USD grad last week. I had to convince him that USD had a good football team last year and appears to be even better this year. SDSU is gaining some good attention in the Black Hills. It's BHSU, SDSU and then the Montana schools out here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

For the past 3 weeks most of the people at work (I work for the Judicial system) have been talking about the SDSU score every Monday rather than USD.  This might have more to do with my support of SDSU (and the mini SDSU helmet on my desk) than it does with our move to D1, but the point remains the same.  In fact, I had to come to the defense of USD to a USD grad last week.  I had to convince him that USD had a good football team last year and appears to be even better this year.  SDSU is gaining some good attention in the Black Hills.  It's BHSU, SDSU and then the Montana schools out here.
                    I wish Keloland TV would take note of this and realize that nobody cares about USD. Why is everyone in SD going to get to watch the USD game this weekend on TV, but not the SDSU game. Thats not right. Our game should be on there instead of USD, at the very least they should televise both games. Keloland must be intentionally trying to get low ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by SDsportsFan

I wish Keloland TV would take note of this and realize that nobody cares about USD.  Why is everyone in SD going to get to watch the USD game this weekend on TV, but not the SDSU game.  Thats not right.  Our game should be on there instead of USD, at the very least they should televise both games.  Keloland must be intentionally trying to get low ratings.
                      USD pays KELO to televise this game. KELO will put whatever you want on as long as you pay them.

Comment

Actually...KELO's broadcast is a part of their corporate sponsorship with the U...the U doesn't pay (at least much) for the broadcast...the deal is pretty much straight up barter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm

USD pays KELO to televise this game.  KELO will put whatever you want on as long as you pay them.
                          Then maybe we should pay them to put our game on, because I bet there will be a lot of people who would like to see the game that won't be able to make it.

Comment

I'm more concerned about raising money for scholarships and physical improvements then being on local TV.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                              I'm more concerned about raising money for scholarships and physical improvements then being on local TV.  

Go State!  ;D
                              I could not agree more relating to scholarships and facility improvements. All cost money, but are the priorities to benefit SDSU in the long run.

I think this KELO coverage of the UNO-USD game is kind of a knee jerk reaction. As far as the comment," its not costing USD anything", we dont have all the facts here. At best it may be a wash, but its an attempt to take the SD exposure away from SDSU and the D1 athletics that are continuing to develope.

I think folks at USD are very worried about SDSU.
                              They are akin to whistling in the dark as they walk by a cemetary late at night.

USD has had a habit of not made decisions that are good for USD, but rather decisions based on how we can out do SDSU. Televising the game on KELO is exactly what is at work here.

Comment

I disagree with 89. I think we should be concerned that USD is on TV and SDSU is not. I read another post somewhere else that all Montana games are on TV locally. I think NDSU also gets at least some of its games televised locally. SDSU needs to have games televised locally to support its move to DI. It would sure do a lot to provide exposure and get new fans, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                                X