DI envy (probably a good thing)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DI envy (probably a good thing)

I have noticed a lot of sniping from fans of our former Conference mates, UNO and USD, I thought it was time to bring this post back to the top.

jackmd wrote:

After reading all the posts from concerned USD, UND, UNO, and even timid SDSU fans (hereon referred to as "you&quot, I thought it was time to give all of you your own subject under which to post. DI envy seems most appropriate, after all it is jealousy that underlies the feelings expressed by those oppossed to SDSU's move.

Sure, there are feeling of inadequacy and inferiority also, but you can't blame us (SDSU supporters) for that. As a former first lady once said:

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt 1884-1962, American First

So, post away. Some of us welcome your concern and hope that you keep SDSU in the forefront. I am certain it also helps you deal with the feelings of inadequacy, inferiority and envy that have resulted from the bad choices you have made thus far in your life. No worries, I anticipate you'll continue to make the same poor decisions in the future.

So, wish us luck if you have the respect and self-esteem to do so. If you don't, do what you have to do to protect your fragile ego. We're going to be here regardless.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

2003-2004 SDSU vs. USD

Men's Golf USD (USD Men won NCC title.)
      Women's Golf SDSU (NCC Tourney - SDSU 5, USD 6)
      Women's Volleyball USD (Women swept SDSU in two dual matches.)
      Women's Volleyball USD
      Women's Soccer USD (USD Women have never lost to SDSU.
      Men's Cross Country SDSU (SDSU men won NCC title.)
      Women's Cross Country USD (USD Women won NCC title.)
      Football SDSU (Oct. 25 in Vermillion.)
      Women's Swimming USD
      Men's Swimming USD
      Women's Swimming USD (Dec. 19 Double Dual)
      Men's Swimming USD (Dec. 19 Double Dual)
      Women's Swimming USD (Jan. 10 Double Dual)
      Men's Swimming USD (Jan. 10 Double Dual)
      Women's Basketball SDSU (Jan. 9 in Brookings)
      Men's Basketball SDSU ( Jan. 9 in Brookings)
      Men's Swimming USD (NCC Meet - USD 2nd, SDSU 5th)
      Women's Swimming USD (NCC Meet - USD 4th, SDSU 6th)
      Men's Track USD (NCC Indoor Meet - USD 3rd, SDSU - 4th)
      Women's Track USD (NCC Indoor Meet - USD 2nd, SDSU - 6th)
      Women's Basketball SDSU (Feb. 28 in Vermillion)
      Men's Basketball USD (Feb. 28 in Vermillion)
      Men's Basketball USD (Semifinals of Wells Fargo NCC Tourney)
      Women's Softball (Split Double Header March 17)
      Women's Softball (Split Double Header April 6)
      Women's Softball USD (NCC Conference Tourney)
      Men's Baseball (Split Doubleheader in Brookings May 1)
      Men's Track USD (NCC Outdoor Meet - USD 2nd (178 pts.), SDSU 4th (69 pts))
      Women's Track USD (NCC Outdoor Meet - USD 1st (230.5 pts.), SDSU 6th (69 pts.))

Total USD 23 SDSU 9

One Footnote: USD finished 2nd and SDSU 5th in the NCC Conference Cup Race

Comment

Great post SPORTSFAN. And under the appropriate thread considering only someone with DI envy would take the time to tally up the past season's head to head by trying to make a point.

Here's a couple tidbits for you. USD's volleyball team went over two decades before beating SDSU in a match. That would be all of the '80's and all of the 90's. SDSU volleyball - two trips to the Elite Eight under the current coach. USD volleyball - two wins over SDSU last year. Very impressive.

In football, the brass jug that was played for will forever (FOREVER) rest in the Ginn Trophy room at SDSU. Just a nice little reminder of our years playing lesser competition.

Women's basketball - I do believe SDSU holds a pretty good upper hand over the past decade or so, including a little thing called the National Championship. Congrats though on getting Mandy Koupal.

USD does have tremendous track and field teams which they should be proud of. They have basically been the most successful squad at USD...ever.

Keep tracking the past and bringing up times when USD beat SDSU. We are moving on up (someone throw in the theme from "The Jefferson's" for me).

Comment

Originally posted by SPORTSFAN
          2003-2004 SDSU vs. USD

This is fact.  Here is the all-sports honor roll from the last 20 plus years.

I bolded the years that SDSU has won.  SPORTSFAN, why don't you go through and bold the years USD has won?  Looks like SDSU women 4, SDSU men 11 including 4 of the last 5 years.  You may also note the domination by the current DI schools.  Let me help you out, UNI, NDSU and SDSU.

Womens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1982-83 South Dakota State, 1983-84 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1984-85 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1985-86 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1987-88 North Dakota State, 1988-89 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1989-90 North Dakota State, 1990-91 MSU, Mankato/North Dakota St., 1991-92 St. Cloud State, 1992-93 North Dakota, 1993-94 South Dakota State, 1994-95 South Dakota State, 1995-96 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1996-97 St. Cloud State/South Dakota State, 1997-98 Northern Colorado, 1998-99 North Dakota State, 1999-00 North Dakota State, 2000-01 North Dakota, 2001-02 North Dakota, 2002-03 Nebraska-Omaha, 2003-04 North Dakota.

Mens All-Sports Honor Roll: 1970-71 North Dakota St., 1971-72 Northern Iowa, 1972-73 Northern Iowa, 1973-74 Northern Iowa, 1974-75 Northern Iowa, 1975-76 Minnesota St., Mankato/South Dakota St., 1976-77 Northern Iowa, 1977-78 Northern Iowa, 1978-79 South Dakota St., 1979-80 South Dakota St., 1980-81 South Dakota St., 1981-82 North Dakota St., 1982-83 North Dakota St., 1983-84 North Dakota St., 1984-85 North Dakota St., 1985-86 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1986-87 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1987-88 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1988-89 North Dakota St., 1989-90 North Dakota St., 1990-91 North Dakota, 1991-92 South Dakota St., 1992-93 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1993-94 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1994-95 Minnesota St., Mankato, 1995-96 South Dakota St., 1996-97 South Dakota St., 1997-98 St. Cloud St., 1998-99 Minnesota State, Mankato, 1999-2000 South Dakota State, 2000-01 South Dakota State, 2001-02 South Dakota St., 2002-03 South Dakota State, 2003-04 North Dakota State.

Just the facts, Jack.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

SDSU has had great sucess over the years but is leaving the NCC on a low note. Very good men's and women's basketball but not much else going on right now.

Comment

SPORTSFAN...not true. There are other sports. One I'm close to is Cross Country. SDSU has dominated the NCC...the men have won the last four in a row.

Comment

SDSU has had great sucess over the years but is leaving the NCC on a low note. Very good men's and women's basketball but not much else going on right now.

Irrelevant.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

My point is that USD dominated SDSU this past year and you guys are always saying how crappy the U is. Would think it would be better to go out and up on a high note.

Comment

The U is crappy. On that there is no debate.

Comment

We beat USD in Football, we went further in the NCAA playoffs then USD in Men's and Women's basketball and we beat USD in the last meeting ever of Baseball.  You can have your swim team dominance, Women's soccer etc.  How did the USD debate team do?  :  State won the battle of the sports that matter to most fans.

Most importantly we are now D-I so who cares about USD, unless you are talking about University of San Diego.

Comment

My point is that USD dominated SDSU this past year and you guys are always saying how crappy the U is. Would think it would be better to go out and up on a high note.
                        Its alright to think that, you're just wrong.

There is no comparison between the athletic success of SDSU vs. USD or the support for athletics at SDSU vs USD.  Thats why we are DI and you are DII.  Academically there is an argument and therefore I will refrain from stating that the U sucks.  Its obvious that they aren't as good as they think they are, but thats a tough problem to fix.  

I will say one thing, Coyote athletics and Coyote fans (all 3 of them) do suck.

Now, go spend some more money on a medical school building located in a town with no teaching hospital so they have to continue to ship medical students to Sioux Falls, Yankton, and Rapid City for clinical and even some basic science training. I'll just never understand the logic there. My money is better spent at SDSU, its that simple.

Comment

Total USD 23 SDSU 9

Nice post "Sportsfan". I can tell that your a real "sportsfan" by reading your brilliant post. Who else could have come up with the logic that each swim meet is worth a football game, especially when there are 7 swim meets a year. Seriously, saying that winning some swim meets has the same effect as winning a football or basketball game is beyond stupid. Lets look at the main sports for this season.

Men's bball: USD +1
                          Football: SDSU +1
                          Womens bball: SDSU +2

Overall: SDSU +2 for the season, or SDSU 4, USD 2
                          I could tell you the last ten year record in these sports, but I hope you can see the trend now. USD is half the school that SDSU is ;D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Academically there is an argument and therefore I will refrain from stating that the U sucks.
                            Having degrees from both institutions, there is NO way that I would even give USD an argument in that area. USD always says that they are academic institution because of the med & law schools. However, these two schools produce a very limited amount of advanced degrees. I would suspect, tho I have never looked at the figures, that SDSU and USD probably produce about the same number of advanced degrees. And of USD's "premier" school's, the law school is in the same boat as the med school since most students intern in Rapid City or Sioux Falls, and work elsewhere also. Vermintown is Vermintown and will always be Vermintown.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

USD grads who became governor of SD 9
                              SDSU grads who became governor of SD 1
                              (and his daughter is attending USD)

Guess the leaders of the state come through little Vermintown.

Comment

Since the U has the State's only law school it figures that they would produce more politicans. I am not sure what that has to do with D-I Athletics?  But I will play your silly game.  Looks like, just like NCAA athletics, the future/present is much brighter at SDSU then it is at the D-II school to the south.

Mike Rounds Current Gov. of South Dakota and SDSU Alum

Tom Daschle Current United States Senate Minority Leader and SDSU Alum

Comment

Working...
                                X