Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: six universities under one roof

Default Re: six universities under one roof

The master plan for the 263 acres and 27 buildings is not new information as it was detailed in a Argus Leader article some time ago. I too have to believe for the President's of the Public Universities to be in support of this large of a project there has to be something promised to them in return. I have said on this forum SDSU has many buildings on campus in need of major mechanical and physical repair and nobody is doing anything about it as the claim is there is no money?

SDSUFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII
    The master plan for the 263 acres and 27 buildings is not new information as it was detailed in a Argus Leader article some time ago. I too have to believe for the President's of the Public Universities to be in support of this large of a project there has to be something promised to them in return. I have said on this forum SDSU has many buildings on campus in need of major mechanical and physical repair and nobody is doing anything about it as the claim is there is no money?
    I missed the article in the Argus about the long range plan. Though it's news to me, I am not surprised as you have to have some planning somewhere along the line.
    I am not familiar with the Foundation whose funds were used to purchase the DOT land, so have no idea who these people are and what they represent. If by accident I get on the Great Plains Education Foundation's mailing list and am requested to submit a donation, they will certainly get nothing from me, but maybe I am fighting future progress here. Who knows.

As possessive as USD has been with offering accounting courses at other state assisted campuses such as SDSU, I can not see them being very generous when the powers in SF say we need the Med school here in Sioux Falls.

In the print edition of tonight's Brookings Register there is an article about the Mayor of Brookings announcing his intentions of running for re-election. He talks about the USDSU issue and how it could affect SDSU in that with Sioux Valley and Avera being the big players in medical technology, they could demand that medicine, pharmacy and nursing all being moved to Sioux Falls. The mayor went to say he felt that the City Brookings basically had a dog in this fight and thats why he wanted to run again.

That said, I would agree, the presidents were promised something, and that may be that they would still controll the course offering and faculty of courses offered at the USDSU. It still seems difficult for me to see how a new Sioux Falls State University will ever come into being, but its the future here that we are speaking of and any thing is very plausible at this point and if the poltical clout is there some day to change everything, then so be it. I think I will be pushing up daises by the time that SFSU becomes a reality. :

When you got a mayor of SF who appeared to be well connected in the city political system saying no thanks to a second term, followed by now 9 candidates for mayor, I just dont see any unified efforts amongst the Sioux Falls folks. The Sanford guy with the big bucks has p@@sed a few people at USD off with his name on the Medical school. So no matter how much dough you have you can not always control things completely. Stay toned folks, it aint over yet.

I think, what it all comes down too, correct me if I'm wrong... are we willing to run down the rest of the state for the sake of a growing Sioux Falls? I don't know about the rest of you, but it really irks me when the thought of our university administrators and SA presidents seem to sellout on the plan. To me the only feasible option to anything in S.F., is to close DSU and split up the programs between USD, SDSU, and the undeniable newly planned university in S.F.

Maybe "el presidente" can tell me something different and maybe I'm totally off base. I definetely think that there is some shady dealings happening here.

SDSUFAN -- I don't think the Great Plains Education Foundation needs contributions from anyone. It seems to have plenty of cash to give away. As I understand it, the money is left over from a very profitable, government sanctioned student loan business in Aberdeen.
    At least the foundation is trying to advance the cause of education somewhere in a state that usually has universities fighting over table scraps from Pierre. If money is so tight, close DSU. Close NSU. Combine BHSU and Mines into one university. Keep SDSU. Keep USD. Then let the three remaining universities offer more classes in the state's largest city and job hub. It's time to focus on future education needs, not the past.
    This space for lease.

SDSUFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jacked_Up
    SDSUFAN -- I don't think the Great Plains Education Foundation needs contributions from anyone. It seems to have plenty of cash to give away. As I understand it, the money is left over from a very profitable, government sanctioned student loan business in Aberdeen.
    At least the foundation is trying to advance the cause of education somewhere in a state that usually has universities fighting over table scraps from Pierre. If money is so tight, close DSU. Close NSU. Combine BHSU and Mines into one university. Keep SDSU. Keep USD. Then let the three remaining universities offer more classes in the state's largest city and job hub. It's time to focus on future education needs, not the past.
    Thank for explaining Great Plains Education Foundation.