• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• six universities under one roof

From the Argus Leader:

Rounds pushes for permanent public university system site

From Staff Reports

Article Published: 01/3/06, 4:17 pm

Gov. Mike Rounds says he will ask the 2006 Legislature to approve acquiring land in northwest Sioux Falls to create a permanent location for the state’s public university system.

The governor, joined by members of the South Dakota Board of Regents, announced Tuesday that he will also ask legislators to appropriate $8 million for construction of an instructional classroom building at the new site.

“The bottom line is, public higher education is critical to Sioux Falls and South Dakota’s long-term future. A strong Sioux Falls economy benefits all of South Dakota,” Rounds said. “But to plan for that future, public higher education in Sioux Falls must have permanent space to grow to meet these needs.”

The public university system currently leases space in parts of two buildings on the Southeast Technical Institute campus. “That space already is at capacity and allows us no room for further expansion,” said Regents President Harvey C. Jewett.

Jewett said state Transportation Department property adjacent to Interstate 29 and a mile south of I-90 provides approximately 210 acres of usable land for the incremental growth and development of facilities needed to meet Sioux Falls’ needs well into the future.

Pointing out that Sioux Falls is estimated to grow to more than 300,000 people by 2040, with another 60,000 in the four-county metropolitan area, the governor said he is concerned to hear that only 20 percent of the city’s adult population has a college degree.

“In order to grow our economy, which will be based on innovation and new knowledge development, we must provide a lot more access to higher education,” Rounds said.

Jewett said the Great Plains Education Foundation Inc. has agreed to provide the Board of Regents with $5.8 million to acquire the DOT property at market value, but legislative approval is needed to complete the transaction.

Jewett said the location near two interstate highways is ideal for commuter students, and public infrastructure services are readily available.

“More importantly, the city of Sioux Falls and this community’s leaders support the plan, which should accommodate growth and related development for the next century or more,” Jewett said.

Read more about the plan in Wednesday's Argus Leader.

Re: six universities under one roof

From KELO land

Six Universities Under One Roof
    All of South Dakota's state run universities will come under one roof in Sioux Falls if Governor Rounds has his way.

Right now if a person wants to attend theSouth Dakota School of Mines in Rapid City or Black Hills State University in Spearfish or Northern State University in Aberdeen, you'd have to live in those respective communities or take classes online.

But soon, with the legislature's blessing, you'll be able to earn a degree from one of those institutions while attending class right here in Sioux Falls.

USDS is made up of three state schools. But today the governor and members of the board of regents announced plans to relocate the campus and expand its services.

"This is not a 7th university, this campus will not grant individual degrees," said Harvey Jewett, President of the Board of Regents.

Instead, a person will be able to earn a college degree from one of six state run universities. Something governor Rounds says will meet a growing demand and help this area.

"The bottom line when we get down to it is that public higher education is critical to Sioux Falls and South Dakota in terms of economic success and viability," said Rounds.

The new campus will be built on 263 acres along Interstate 29 and 60th Street north.
    The extra space means more opportunities.

"We think there maybe 15 to 20 additional courses that could be offered here today if we had the room," said Jewett.

USDSU has seen a 65 percent jump in enrollment over the past five years and officials say that will only grow as Sioux Falls and the metro area grows.

"We have to meet that demand and we have to respond to the need."

The state will use a gift of 5.8 million dollars to buy the land and begin building an instructional classroom.

Governor Rounds will also ask the legislature for another 8 million to build additional classroom space.

Comment

Well, this will probably kill off Dakota State U.

Why go to Madison to get a degree you can get in Sioux Falls?

The other institutions have a combination of sufficient surrounding community size, alumni base, and/or institutional identity to survive the Sioux Falls center.

That's my $0.02.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

el presidente:
        What is the take on campus now about this plan? Are there reasons to be concerned? I do know there have been growing pains for the USDSU campus and possibly building a new campus, but does that mean we shut down the other six and move them on wheels to Sioux Falls? You would not think so but it sounds as that is the answers since SF is growing which I dont deny, but thats not a reason to give up the identy of the other six schools.

Comment

From a student perspective the legislative funding of 8 million is an interesting issue we will call it. We still have chairs that say South Dakota State College on them that should be replaced. That 8 million would go along way at improving current academic facilities at a cheaper cost at current universities instead of building new. Getting money for our academic buildings is like pulling teeth and suddenly we have 8 million. The 3.9 million Solberg renovation was done using soley the private dollars of our generous alumni. Other schools are in alot worse shape then we are as well.

Rest assured Filbert is right in saying SDSU can survive any enrollment draw. The one other thing I would point out is that at 263 acres you are looking at a land mass that I think is larger then SDSU not counting agricultural land (still trying to find the actual size of SDSU). Where does this leave them growing to overtime?

I will keep further comments until Gov. Rounds and the Regents have a chance to tell me their side of the story however I'm very cautious as to what this will mean if it goes through.

On the flip side this could be very beneficial long term for all of South Dakota for economic development etc. That is another reason to withold judgement for now. We are in the process of doing research across the state to find out what this is all about. More information coming as I find it.

Comment

I have also talked to the other student government presidents across the state over the last hour and received similar reactions. They have more questions as well.

One could also point out that going to school is about more then just going to class. Extracurricular activities, student organizations, and campus involvement are proven to improve student retention.

Part of the USDSU (soon to be name change) arguement is that they are serving nontraditional/older students. I would like to see the statistics on current enrollment by age and status. We are also duplicating programs which encourages would be freshman to stay in Sioux Falls to go to school. This breaks into what I pointed out above about the "college" experience.

On the flip side again it helps low income people who maybe couldn't afford to live in Brookings and go to school. They can live at home at 18, go to school part time, and work part time to support their family.

Comment

While I agree that this will be somewhat harmful to the current 6 state universities, I think the positives for South Dakota far outwiegh the negatives. For the non-traditional student, USDSU offers opportunities that many people would never have otherwise. Many people with families, full-time jobs, etc. in Sioux Falls are not able to commute the 50, 60, 80 miles one-way that it takes to get to Madison, Brookings, or Vermillion. I can't imagine the extra expense it would take to drive 450 miles a week, let alone extra expenses for children or whatever. USDSU is giving these people a chance to better themselves and the community by getting a degree.

I have friends who have been taking classes while working over the last few years, and I don't know that either of them would be able to do it if they had to commute for every elective and filler class that it takes to get a bachelor degree.

I honestly don't think that most traditional college student fresh out of high school are drawn to USDSU like the other state universities. Kids still like to party, follow athletics, and get independance from their parents don't they? Or were me and my friends the only ones who liked to do that at college?

Comment

I agree with you on every point. That was the purpose of USDSU in the first place and I support the current USDSU and even some improvements like the 15 million education research center. The question would be, do we need to expand to 263 acres to fill that misson?

I will admit I'm kind of whining because part of that 8 million would do wonders for the needs of some of our academic buildings. Also, the 263 acres gives me notions that eventually you will see residence halls, development and a 7th regental university. Some say that would be great and others don't.

I have also asked several questions about USDU. I would like to know the long range plan for USDSU. The information I've seen concerns me about a 7th regental university that would have several thousands students. I am slightly concerned that there is no "public" long term plan for USDSU. SDSU has a 50 year plan.

This could end up being a very good thing and information and research may show that. At this time though students have been kept completly in the dark which raises immediate questions. Even though my posts haven't been positive about this, I will hold my ultimate decision on whether to support or not support based on the information we get from analysis, discussion, and research.

Modification: I would add that Rounds has been a great friend to higher education and I trust his decision based on his history. However, I will continue to do research.

Another thing is Rounds doesn't concern me. But who is going to be in his place 10 years from now? Whoever that is could get wild ideas and create similar situations to when we almost lost the engineering program. This is an incredibly insightful, bold, and visionary move by Rounds. My questions are not to defeat his proposal but  to understand it and regulate it to make sure that the 30,000 students at our current universities are treated well in the process.

Any feedback both positive and negative from anyone is greatly appreciated and any questions are of course welcomed.

Comment

Thanks el presidente. I thought you would be the most informed on this board about this topic. Its certainly is one to watch. USDSU could become a Boise State who knows.

Comment

Link to an Argus story in today's paper on this topic:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...601040325/1001

Go State! ;D

Comment

It will be interesting how this plays out in the Legislature. The non-traditional student issue needs to be addressed. Here are a few other thoughts:

SDSU has deferred maintenance items totaling $175 million dollars. That's not new buildings ... it's taking care of the physical plant of the existing campus. That figure continues to grow each year.

In time, that campus in Sioux Falls will become the largest college in South Dakota from a headcount standpoint.

Beware when an effort is made to build a football field somewhere on those 263 acres of land. When a football field is built, an autonomous, flourishing institution will follow.

And so it goes.

Comment

I will say that 263 acres does seem like a lot of land to service the needs of non-traditional students in the Sioux Falls area.  I come to this conclusion based on information gathered from the Men's Basketball Media Guide which states that SDSU has a 271 acre campus.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Alumguy
                          In time, that campus in Sioux Falls will become the largest college in South Dakota from a headcount standpoint.  
                          I intend to spend the time until that happens explaining to my friends in the media the big, big difference between headcount and degree-seeking FTEs.

Alumguy is right: There is a certain institutional inertia that is built up over time. This land deal is just more evidence of that. If USDSU can remain an adjunct to the other universities, it can be a good thing for SDSU. I'm going to try to remain hopeful. Our department has interest in expanding our graduate programs to Sioux Falls, for example, which would be great. It's a situation that bears watching, though. It's a good idea to offer classes down there, but we don't need an "urban" state university in a small city like Sioux Falls.

Comment

I think the key here is how the BOR structures the leadership at USDSU. If its a six way partnership between the existing institutions, then I would think it will be a non-traditional commuter institution. Once the BOR decides they need a president or a chancellor then look out! Here comes the football staduim.

Comment

One way to keep Sioux Falls State University from happening would be to write the appropriation bill with a clause saying that in order to allow SFSU to offer its own degrees, the Regents would first have to close TWO other universities.

Better yet, change the State Constitution to that effect.

Since even Lord Janklow was barely able to close USD-Springfield, that will pretty much guarantee that SFSU would never happen.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X