SDSU Wellness Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU Wellness Center

I will be watching closely to see how it is paid for.

Comment

SDSU wellness center just passed the senate 31-1 with 3 excused. Next stop is the governor and then the March Regents meeting!

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente
        SDSU wellness center just passed the senate 31-1 with 3 excused. Next stop is the governor and then the March Regents meeting!
        It's probably in here somewhere, but when will construction start and when do you expect the center will be done?

Thanks again, el_presidente, for what you and the students are doing here. It's a great legacy that you'll leave for future generations of students and for the community.

Comment

On balance, the Wellness Center will do as much for recruiting new students to SDSU as does the move to Division I. When prospective students visit the campus, the Wellness Center will be a major selling point.

Believe it or not, many students in the Northeast corner of South Dakota opt to attend NDSU, in part, because they have a wellness center.

All alumni and friends who deeply care about SDSU should be very proud of our students. They have made a statement about our future.

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
            It's probably in here somewhere, but when will construction start and when do you expect the center will be done?
            We cannot start until July 1 when the bill would become law. Depending on how things go with the Regents we could start then. Technically, we have to wait for regental approval at the March meeting before we can start the building design and bid the project. If we have to wait until March, then the start date might not be until August or September. I would say October as the worst case scenario.

Construction will be about 18 months.

Comment

News story from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/60302002

Way to go El_Presidente! 8)

Go State! ;D

Comment

brunner is my homeboy yo...we'll hopefully see him tomorrow night at the last home game...btw i signed that petition already go campus improvements.

Comment

You will see me tomorrow night. I was in Alabama last week and missed the games and I have to leave for D.C. on Saturday morning, but that gives me Friday night to yell one last time.

Comment

The wellness center has received final passage from the regents! A building committee will appointed and planning will begin. Completion is slated for early spring 08. Construction will start in Spring of 07. Look for a 12.1 million dollar wellness center in 18 months.

SDSU tuition went up 6.8% this year and the system went up 5.9%. For the extra .9% we get our building and operating costs.

Update on school break down for GAF after Title IX, 3% CPI, and GAF increases:

USD: $22.95
                    DSU: $22.55
                    SDSU: $22.30
                    BHSU: $20.60
                    SDSMT: $20.20
                    NSU: $19.30

Comment

Great news and congratulations to all who made this a reality. Why a year until construction begins as I thought it would begin this spring. Do we need to collect the additional dollars first? Are all the amenties in the new facility determined?

Comment

Argus Leader article on the new Wellness Center. 77,000 square feet is big!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                          Great news and congratulations to all who made this a reality. Why a year until construction begins as I thought it would begin this spring. Do we need to collect the additional dollars first? Are all the amenties in the new facility determined?  
                          The timeline we wanted has been delayed slightly. We wanted construction to begin July 1 with an 18 month completion plan. Instead construction is starting later but will be 12 months. Basically, the completion date of spring 08 has not changed just the timing has been changed.

The dollars are there and will be bonded shorty. The contents of the facility will be finalized soon. We met with an architect last week to discuss student perspectives with priorities. The bid can be for 12.1 million max so the idea is to make priorities so that we get a facility that meets campus needs. Several things are included in the facility plans as "optional" that way what the regents approved has some flexibility for campus.

Full copies of the plans are on the senate website at http://sa.sdstate.org/wellnesscenter.html

Comment

All hail el_presidente! 8-)

From the Brookings Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...30&page=23

‘Dynamic Duo’ leave their mark on SDSU

If buildings were named for students, South Dakota State University would have a pair worthy of the distinction.

When the $12-million Recreation and Wellness Center opens on campus in spring 2008, patrons can thank Ryan Brunner of Nisland and Tim Wrenn of Grand Forks, N.D.

The center was a dormant issue for years, but Brunner and Wrenn, the 2005-06 president and vice president of the SDSU Students’ Association, led a student drive to make the facility a reality. It was a key plank in their platform when they ran for office and the central focus of their administration. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                            X