SDSU Wellness Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU Wellness Center

I'm not sure how this copy and paste will work. I've attached resolution 05-10-R passed by the Students' Association on Monday night. We have endorsed/developed a revised program plan asking for a $12,053,046 wellness center. We have subsequently asked for a $1.35 GAF fee increase bonded over 20 years to raise the additional 6 million dollars. We are currently in a campaign to get 2000-3000 signatures from students supporting the fee increase. This will be before the BOR on December 15th. If approved it will go to the legislature in January and we could start construction on a $12 million facility on July 1. Student support is pretty strong and the resolution passed the students' association with a unanimous vote. I'm hoping to have a link to the revised program plan up here later this week.

Resolution 05-10-R

Sponsors:
    1. Ryan Brunner, President 2. Tim Wrenn, Vice President
    3. Mitch Fargen, At Large 4. Adam Zobel, Graduate Studies
    5. Blake Schneider, At Large 6. Casey Hall, Arts & Science

Title of Resolution: SDSU Wellness Center

Text of Resolution:

WHEREAS the SDSU Wellness facility has been stalled for 13 years; and,

WHEREAS over 4000 students utilize intramurals sports on campus; and,

WHEREAS the current facility program is not sufficient for student needs; and,

WHEREAS students will have unrestricted access to wellness facilities without scheduling conflicts and interruptions; and;

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the South Dakota State University Students’ Association recommends to the Board of Regents, and the South Dakota State Legislature that they approve the revised facility plan and support a $1.35 General Activity Fee (GAF) per credit increase to construct an optimal wellness, intramural, and recreation facility.

Pass _____ Fail _____ or Roll Call: Aye _____ Nay _____ (Date: / / )

Chairperson Signature: _____________________________

*If passed, attach roll call vote record to this document.

Re: SDSU Wellness Center

Good stuff,
    Is their plans set as to where the wellness center would be and what if would include?
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Is the plan still to attach the new wellness center to frost and hyper. I like this idea as it is close to the majority of the dorms, however it would be nice to see it as part of a football stadium upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Charger13
        Is the plan still to attach the new wellness center to frost and hyper.  I like this idea as it is close to the majority of the dorms, however it would be nice to see it as part of a football stadium upgrade.
        I agree. For 12million i think we need to attach it to the east side of coughlin. I don't know if an opportunity with that much money, approved by the students and legislature (if it does happen) will come along again. If nothing else build it there and add the seats, boxes, extra locker rooms etc. in a few years. Atleast the structure would be there.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

The current plan attaches it to the Northwest end of the Hper. This location is key for the womans locker rooms that are included in the facility. For Title IX compliance we need new locker rooms which are part of the expansion attached to Frost. I will have to look but I believe a locker room/field house additions are in the plan for Coughlin but I don't know the timing.

As for the the new wellness facility:

1. It will include student health and counseling getting rid of West Hall

2. Locker rooms, Weight rooms, cardiovascular, aerobic, and other rooms, track, climbing wall, 2 or 3 gyms and a multipurpose room/gym.

3.The fee increase adds the intramural/recreation part. The gyms, climbing wall etc. It also allows us to move the track and put it above the courts. In the current plan, the track cirlces the weight rooms and cardio and aerobic rooms. Moving the track above the basketball courts allows us to increase the size of those rooms. We would essentially be replicating a frost arena with a track minus the seating and adding a climbing wall.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente
            The current plan attaches it to the Northwest end of the Hper. This location is key for the womans locker rooms that are included in the facility. For Title IX compliance we need new locker rooms which are part of the expansion attached to Frost. I will have to look but I believe a locker room/field house additions are in the plan for Coughlin but I don't know the timing.

As for the the new wellness facility:

1. It will include student health and counseling getting rid of West Hall

2. Locker rooms, Weight rooms, cardiovascular, aerobic, and other rooms, track, climbing wall, 2 or 3 gyms and a multipurpose room/gym.

3.The fee increase adds the intramural/recreation part. The gyms, climbing wall etc. It also allows us to move the track and put it above the courts. In the current plan, the track cirlces the weight rooms and cardio and aerobic rooms. Moving the track above the basketball courts allows us to increase the size of those rooms. We would essentially be replicating a frost arena with a track minus the seating and adding a climbing wall.
            Thanks for the information and explanation, el_presidente. Can you fill us in on the process that is involved here? Who does the resolution go to? What's the process for moving from a resolution of support to a building project on the regents' list?

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
              Thanks for the information and explanation, el_presidente. Can you fill us in on the process that is involved here? Who does the resolution go to? What's the process for moving from a resolution of support to a building project on the regents' list?
              We have made a request for it to be a full board item on the Regent meeting in December. On December 15th we will ask the regents for approval of the building project. If approved it will go to the state legislature in January then if approved construction would start July 1. The senate resolution is part of the revised facility plan package that will be on the Regents agenda. I have asked our webmaster to create a "wellness" page with all of this documentation on the senate website at http://sa.sdstate.org. I am hoping it is up tomorrow afternoon. I am out of the office tomorrow through next Monday (I'll be at NDSU and Kentucky) but I will be checking back.

Comment

Congratulations to the students for their vision and stepping up to the plate financially. A first class wellness center will not only serve the current student body (and members of the community) but it will be a tremendous recruiting tool for the university in general.

This will add to an already outstanding university.

Comment

My congradulations also. I recall this project was orginally part of the SDSU Foundation Visions campaign in 1993 where 50 million was raised. We reached the goal, but somehow the Wellness Center  project was only partially  funded. In addition,  I recall that in  the SDSU Foundation working with the City of Brookings in using their second penny sales tax revenue that was intented for the Wellness center, the revenue was shifted to the Performing Arts Building. That project appeared at the time to have a higher priority. And it did as the balcony in Doner Auditorium was structucally unsafe. Arts are important to as part of the whole campus and without a decent facilty for the various  plays and concerts, these events could not happen.

You have to commend the students for moving forward on this measure. I think I was helping pay for the Staduim for State Bonds(CSA) when a student in the early 1960's.   Now that was a issue with so much light and heat and strong opposition. (See College on Hill)

I am happy that there appears to be no oposition amongst the student body so far and hopefully  the students will support this project. Maybe the lack of public opposition is because its a facility that benefits the students. With Staduim for State, some students in the late 1950's and early 1960's were adamantly opposed as it did not improve their education facilities and only the free riding jocks and the dummies who like to watch football would benefit from a new staduim.  Believe it or not that was the preception.

I am sure el-presidente and his contingent of leaders will explain to the BOR how this facility benefits the entire student body. The students have to want to get off the couch and do some human body wellness.  We wonder where the students were in the last two games and maybe most were working out on their own some where. Who knows ;D I believe in giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Again congradualation on what has been accompolished so far and good luck with the rest of the procedures that make this project reality.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente

We have made a request for it to be a full board item on the Regent meeting in December. On December 15th we will ask the regents for approval of the building project. If approved it will go to the state legislature in January then if approved construction would start July 1. The senate resolution is part of the revised facility plan package that will be on the Regents agenda. I have asked our webmaster to create a "wellness" page with all of this documentation on the senate website at http://sa.sdstate.org. I am hoping it is up tomorrow afternoon. I am out of the office tomorrow through next Monday (I'll be at NDSU and Kentucky) but I will be checking back.
                    As a faculty member, I'm grateful to the student association for providing leadership on this initiative. Thanks to you and your colleagues, el_presidente. A wellness center will be a great addition to the campus for decades to come.

Comment

The Wellness Center was kind of a running joke when I was a member of the football team. Pretty much every incoming freshman was told the Wellness Center was going to be completed by their Sophmore/Junior year. I even saw a model of the proposed final product. Coach Daly used to keep it in his office. Not sure if Stig inherited it, or not. I was too busy looking for rice krispie bars from Mama Stig when I was in his office. At any rate, the Wellness Center joke was our way of laughing off the smell and sorry state of the current lockerroom. I hope the Center finally becomes a reality.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I would think that locating the new center as part of coulglin would make more sense. New lockerrooms for football, softball, baseball, and track and field could be put there. With the softball and baseball fields being closer in proximity as well. I am certainly not going to bite the hand that feeds me though, I'll love it where ever they put it.

Comment

Nice work el_presidente. I am impressed with your agenda and how athletics is being addressed. This wellness center will be a great addition to our campus.
                          I may have to treat you to beverage when I see you in Champaign on Friday!!

GO JACKS BEAT THE ILLINI !!

Comment

Is the track mentioned in the posts one suitable for competition or just a jogging track? (I have the impression its a jogging track.) Just curious.

Comment

Speaking of tracks, SDSU and Brookings High school might have the worst track and field facilities around. Does anybody have the scoop on this situation. A revamped track complex on campus with some help from Brookings high would be alright to me. Could open up the possibilities of bringing in some meets both high school and college. I'm not sure how South Dakota does there state track meets, but wouldn't that be a big draw of people into Brookings.

Comment

Working...
                              X