Ron Lenz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Lenz

A very nice article on Ron in the Sunday Argus. Chris Solari comes through again.

Re: Ron Lenz

Here's the link to the Argus article.

Excerpt:
    BROOKINGS - The names Josh Ranek, Mark Tetzlaff and Shannon Schlagel are synonymous with South Dakota State sports history.

So, too, is Ron Lenz.

Lenz, SDSU's sports information director who has seen almost every special moment in Jackrabbit athletics the last 30 years, will retire June 30.

"There's probably not enough file cabinets to store all the things Ron knows about our history and program here," says Fred Oien, SDSU's athletic director.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Another story this time from the Aberdeen American News:

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...l/14858758.htm

Lenz focused well on SDSU

By John Papendick
      American News Sports Editor

Ron Lenz has been reporting on the sports scene in this state for a majority of his 62 years. He is retiring as sports information director at South Dakota State at the end of this month.

I hope ideas about him writing a book about South Dakota sports, or at least sports at SDSU, turn into reality. This man knows so much, and I hope he permanently inks those memories in the form of a book sometime, somewhere, somehow.

In the 1960s, my childhood was linked - chain linked - to SDSU athletics. Every newspaper I got my hands on was immediately flipped to the sports pages to see if any Jackrabbit teams were mentioned. I was especially in love with Jim Marking and his Jackrabbit basketball teams.

I was definitely "Running with the Rabbits," and it would be nice to have a knowledgable guy like Lenz to capture those memories of Marking and the many other SDSU legends in a book. In this world of fast-changing job markets, there may never be another person like Lenz who could do as good of a job with a SDSU history book.  .  .  . (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Not just one, but two Lenz articles in the Aberdeen American News today:

http://www.aberdeennews.com/mld/aber...s/14858757.htm
        Legend's retirement leaves void in South Dakota sports
        By John Papendick
        American News Sports Editor

The last four decades of the South Dakota sports scene has been analyzed, reported and viewed through the eye of a legend.

Ron Lenz, who lost his right eye to a grenade in Vietnam in 1967, has always loved taking the pulse of sports in South Dakota. Even though the South Dakota State sports information director is ready to retire June 30, his heart beats strong and loud for his career.

"I was always blessed to have a job where I thought it was fun to get up and go into work," said Lenz. "I never dreaded coming into the office. When you can get paid to cover sporting events, that is a great deal. You are not going to get rich in this business, but at least I am doing something I enjoy."
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I would snap up a Ron Lenz book the day it came it out.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

From the Register:

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...31&page=23

Foggy’ Lenz now focusing on life after Jackrabbits on retirement

BY LONNY ANDERSON

For Ron Lenz, covering sports at South Dakota's largest university has been a lifelong passion.
            More than that, it’s been a life.
            Lenz, 62, has been the South Dakota State University sports information director (SID) since 1977 and has seen nearly every memorable sports moment – from the baseball team's national tournament run in 1984 to the 2003 women's basketball national championship – in the past 30 years.
            On June 30, Lenz will retire after nearly 29 years at SDSU, leaving behind him a profession that was much more than just a job. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Huge void to be filled with Ron retiring. You just can't replace the knowledge and stories he would share. He will certainly be missed.

I dropped Ron an email of congratulations/thanks last week, and had a response back within five minutes. Showed me that no matter how busy he may be, he still takes the time to chat with anyone.

Thanks Ron!!
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Since I'm a sports director at a South Dakota radio station (surprise! surprise!) I get a lot of e-mails from SDSU and Ron Lenz... here is his last posting as SID for South Dakota State.

Well, the day is here – so it’s my last chance to say goodbye and more importantly, thank you.

I’m turning in my keys this morning … and I have no idea what I’ll be doing next week …

It has been a fun ride and I sincerely thank all of you for helping make it that way … now I’m looking forward to having more time to myself although every weekend I’ll probably ask myself what can I do to kill time … I’ve always been a “viewer” not a ‘doer” when it comes to sports so I don’t golf, bowl, etc … and I have no intention of taking up new activities. Bought a hammock and a new grill – does that give you a hint of what I’ll be doing, at least until the mosquitoes get too bad …

I’m staying in Brookings and still live a block from campus so I’ll be around.

As Bob Hope used to say, "Thanks for the memories" and I'll see you down the road. Two days from now, you’ll be asking, “who was that guy who used to be at South Dakota State?”

And we'll all say with a loud voice... "THAT'S RON LENZ; DYED-IN-THE-FUR YELLOW AND BLUE!" Thank you, Ron, for everything!
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                X