Huge Mid-Con news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Huge Mid-Con news

Fred's words - As for the future, recent additions to Division I competition such as IPFW, North Dakota State and South Dakota State would like to join Valparaiso and IUPUI in the league. With CSU out, optimism for expansion is up.

But SDSU athletic director Fred Oien, like everyone else, knows that nothing official can be done until the summer when the university presidents from the conference meet with conference commissioner Tom Douple.

"How this will affect anything for us is ultimately up to the Mid-Con," Oien said. "I don't think we're going to assume anything."

On Thursday the Mid-Con office said there is no comment at this time regarding expansion.

SDSU is already an associate member of the Mid-Con in men's and women's swimming and diving.

"We would be a strong member in any conference that would see fit to have us," Oien said. "We'd be very honored to have that opportunity. (The Mid-Con) has institutions that are like ours. We will watch carefully." .

My observations - Mid-Con is better for Rabbits because they sponsor tourney in all but wrestling, football, and equestrian that SDSU sponsors. For NDSU, I was unaware that they've dropped swimming. Shame, because they had a nice pool, very similar to State's HPER. Wrestling, and Football all that's missing for Bison in Mid-Con.

In Big Sky, add baseball, wrestling, equestrian, swimming to not in that conference activities. The only thing added is a super football conference. But IMHO, the Great West can be right there with Big Sky, we just need about 1-2 more schools with schollies to join us.

Comment

Highlights from a Fargo Forum story (sub. site, but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=Sports

Expansion up for discussion

By Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
      Published Saturday, April 22, 2006

Mid-Continent Conference Commissioner Thomas Douple said Friday the league plans on addressing expansion.

Whether that includes North Dakota State may not be known for a while, but Douple indicated the league will discuss adding schools over the course of the next few months. He said the presidents of the eight league schools are on board with the issue.

“It would be a discussion topic, no doubt about it,” Douple said.

Expansion came to the forefront this week when Chicago State notified the league it is dropping affiliation in favor of independent status. It will leave the Mid-Con, which is based in Chicago, with eight members at the conclusion of this school year. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
        Never once did I consider that Chicago State would leave the Mid-Con.  If anything I thought it would be the other way around (and of course, maybe it was, but the conference decided to be magnanimous in the method of CSU's departure).

The Mid-Con's going to have to do something.  Eight is way too close to seven which is the minimum league size for basketball, especially when one of your remaining eight is Centenary.
        I was thinking the same thing about Centenary. I wonder if that will be addressed at the summer meeting in addition to expansion. Man, I can't wait to have conference games again in all sports but in basketball more than anywhere else.

KEEP RUBBING YOUR LUCK RABBIT FEET JACKS FANS!!!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The topic of the Mid-Con possible expansion is generating a lot of discussion.  Even some of the people who post on the new Coyote board are mentioning it as a possible future home for Coyote athletics.

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com...ead=1144552782

Comment

Originally posted by West_River_Jack
            The topic of the Mid-Con possible expansion is generating a lot of discussion.  Even some of the people who post on the new Coyote board are mentioning it as a possible future home for Coyote athletics.

http://coyotesports.proboards100.com...ead=1144552782
            I think the reality is that most of the remaining NCC schools are starting to realize that they are quickly looking at being a day late and a dollar short on future considerations. I say that with no malice, just the facts. Would you want to be in USD's shoes? At least UNO has a possible alternative with the MIAA, but USD has 2 options. Play with a bunch of schools thought to be lesser Universities or try to go into D1 with a very small level of possibility to get into a conference. Realistically, if USD went D1, the only way they'd get into a conference is if a new one was started and they were asked to join. Otherwise, they don't have any options. The Mid Con will be full. The Big Sky already decided they weren't interested. It's definitely a bitter pill to swallow because they were many of the people chiding SDSU for going D1 in the first place. Now they'd love to be in our shoes. So would UNO for that matter, despite what the people on this thread claim.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Over on the Bison Board, it has been reported by Steve Hallstrom on WDAY that NDSU and SDSU are "all but in" to the Mid-Con for baseball. I would guess if SDSU got two more teams (I would guess Softball would also be in) into the Mid-Con as associate members it would bode well for our chances to become full members of the Mid-Con. 8-)

Go State!

Comment

The Indianapolis Star ran a story today about IPFW chances at getting into the Mid-Con, not a lot of news here but I thought this was interesting:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...446/-1/ZONES01

Mid-Con commissioner Tom Douple said expansion will be looked at in depth at the June meeting of school presidents.

"We're looking at all the options for the conference," said Douple, former athletic director at Mid-Con member Southern Utah.

"There are a lot of schools involved, and certainly Fort Wayne is in that group, along with others."

Two other schools prominently mentioned as possible expansion targets are independents South Dakota State and North Dakota State. . . .

So it looks like the Mid-Con will be super serious about expansion! 8-)

Go State!

Comment

Any chance that UND could wrangle an invitation from the Mid-con if announce moving up? Seems that programs already in transition, through transition would get preference.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
                    Any chance that UND could wrangle an invitation from the Mid-con if announce moving up?  Seems that programs already in transition, through transition would get preference.
                    Hard to say, UND's President did an interview last night and he still sounds like a guy who wants nothing to do with D-I.  Here is a link to the video you can watch and make up your own mind.  

http://www.in-forum.com/av/index.cfm...;type=tvscript

My guess is someday when UND has a new President and moves up, if the Mid-Con had an opening, they might be a canidate but they are not going to be in the mix this time around.

Go State!  

Comment

I read this over on the Bison Board.

Originally posted by DORMIE
                      I kinda think that the Big Sky might be SOL.  They've been spending too much time thinking they have to have mountain schools and don't want any plains schools in the mighty BSC.  Well they may have sat on the pot too long.  The Mid-Con has asked us to send all the info on the school so they have it for their meeting this month.  Don't be surprised if were in the Mid-Con by the end of the month.  It's a perfect fit.  We don't have to add tennis,  they have everything we have except wrestling and football, which we already have conferences for, and it's a natural for us for recruiting atheletes and students.  How many students do we get from the west.  Also being in the papers in Chicago, Indianapolis and Kansas City would be great exposure.  Let the BSC take the school of mines from the north if they ever make up their mind and drop the shoe.

I don't know DORMIE and I don't know how accurate his info is, but if it is true that the Mid-Con has requested info (You gotta think that we too have been asked for this info) that would be a very positive step as it would mean thay are reviewing schools not just having a meeting to see if they want to have another meeting to review schools (like our frineds in the Big Sky would do).  I will point out that the Mid-Con Presidents don't meet until June, sooo again I have no idea if this is accurate.  Can anyone confirm or deny that the Mid-Con has asked us for such info also?

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                        Over on the Bison Board, it has been reported by Steve Hallstrom on WDAY that NDSU and SDSU are "all but in" to the Mid-Con for baseball.  I would guess if SDSU got two more teams (I would guess Softball would also be in) into the Mid-Con as associate members it would bode well for our chances to become full members of the Mid-Con.  8-)

Go State!  

Here's a little interesting info from NDSU's baseball coach tonight on the local radio sports show:

Some light was shed on this during Prime Time Sports tonight.

Scott Miller had Coach McLeod on the show tonight.

Coach McLeod stated that he was contacted by the Valpo coach before the Valpo series and he mentioned that Chicago State left the conference. He then stated that he thought that NDSU would be extended an invite (didn't mention just baseball/softball or all sports). The Western Illinois coach also told Mitch that he thought NDSU would become a member of the Mid-Con, and has arranged for Mitch to meet the AD of WIU when the Bison head to Macomb, Ill. later this week.

I know it's not much, but it seems to me that the possiblity of full Mid-Con membership has much better odds for the SU's than the Big Sky at the moment.

Comment

this could be the start of things starting to look brighter on the horizon line for our conference search. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by DORMIE
                            It's a perfect fit.  We don't have to add tennis,  they have everything we have except wrestling and football, which we already have conferences for, and it's a natural for us for recruiting atheletes and students.  How many students do we get from the west.  Also being in the papers in Chicago, Indianapolis and Kansas City would be great exposure.
                            I agree with Dormie as far as recruiting. In all other sports besides football we usually recruit from the midwest, and hardly ever in the west. Even in football we do not recruit heavily in the west, but we have been getting some good players out of Arizona lately. I hope the Great West can stay alive. If would like us to play Cal Poly and Davis as out of conference basketball games every year as well just because there is name recognition. Then we would be playing all the Great West teams in both football and basketball. It would also be easy for them to travel to the Dakotas and play both us and NDSU and we could do the same in Cali. I think with the Dakota schools in the Mid Con, that conference will become stabler and a better all around conference. It could become as strong as the Horizon which would be great for basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit
                              Any chance that UND could wrangle an invitation from the Mid-con if announce moving up?  Seems that programs already in transition, through transition would get preference.
                              More news out of Grand Forks:

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=126264 (sub. site but it is free)

Report: University of North Dakota stakeholders like Division II

Associated Press
                              Published Tuesday, May 09, 2006

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) - University of North Dakota faculty members, employees, students and season ticketholders believe UND should remain in NCAA Division II in all sports except hockey, says a survey obtained by the Grand Forks Herald. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Looking like da Sioux may talk themselves out of D-1 yet.

Likewise, I am doubting that even if they did move up that they would have any more a conference invite (either Mid-con or Big Sky) than we've seen the last two years.

I understand the Atlantic Sun situation. They're frantically trying to get enough to move forward. Likewise, I'm a bit surprised, but not terribly, that UCA found a conference home right away.

I hope that a situation exists that will allow us to either grow the GWFC (my preference) or get into the Gateway with the other three sliding into Big Sky.

No fat ladies singing yet, so we'll see....

Comment

Working...
                                X