• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge Mid-Con news

WOW this is HUGE for us!  

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p.../APS/604191227

Chicago St. Withdraws From Mid-Continent

The Associated Press

Chicago State said Wednesday that it is withdrawing from the Mid-Continent Conference.

Chicago State president Elnora Daniel said in a statement that the university will seek membership in a new conference that reflects its evolving institutional profile, which includes expansion and enhanced "access to other metropolitan communities."

The Cougars will compete as an NCAA Division I independent during the 2006-07 school year, but will play nonconference contests against Mid-Con schools in volleyball and men's and women's basketball.

"We have enjoyed our tenure in the Mid-Continent Conference and look forward to future athletic successes," Daniel said. . . . (read more)

This dropes the Mid-Con to 8 teams and you could add say two Dakota schools and get to a nice number of 10. You could also add IPFW and Utah Valley State and go to 12 and give SUU a travel partner. This is big, big news!

Go State!

Re: Huge Mid-Con news

From the Mid-Con Web site:

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3889

Chicago State to leave the Mid-Continent Conference

ELMHURST, ILL. — The Mid-Continent Conference and Chicago State jointly announced today that Chicago State will withdraw as a conference member, effective June 30, 2006.

The Cougars will compete as an NCAA Division I independent during the 2006-07 school year. However, CSU will play non-conference contests against Mid-Con schools in the sports of volleyball and men’s and women’s basketball.

“We respect the decision of [Chicago State] President Elnora Daniel to relocate Chicago State’s athletics programs and are here to assist in any way that we can in that process,” Mid-Continent Conference Commissioner Tom Douple said. “We wish Chicago State the best of luck in its future endeavors and in the next steps in the progression of its athletics programs.”

“We have enjoyed our tenure in the Mid-Continent Conference and look forward to future athletic successes,” President Daniel added. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

The Mid-Con almost has to look at expansion now, and I would think SDSU and NDSU would be the front runners.  At the very least this will make the Big Sky take a better look at us for fear of loosing us to the Mid-Con.  Wow!

On a side note I wonder why Chicago State would leave on there own. I almost wonder if they were asked to leave or if something else is driving this. What teams leave a conference before finding a new one?

Comment

This may be the reason why (posted earlier):

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas.../story/9272381

Ten for Tuesday: One rejection Alford may regret

Feb. 28, 2006
        By Gregg Doyel
        CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

. . . The NCAA is looking into the Chicago State athletic department three years after finding major violations by the women's basketball program. Two Mid-Continent men's basketball teams told SportsLine.com they've been advised to find non-conference replacements for 2006-07 in case Chicago State gets a department-wide death penalty, which would be the first since SMU football in 1987. . . .

Go State!

Comment

I would also say with the Mid-Con down to eight members, expansion in the near future is very possible and SDSU/NDSU would be given serious consideration.  I can't see any other schools leaving a conference to join the Mid-Con.  

I'm still debating if I want to see us in the Big Sky or Mid-Con.  For football I would love to be in the Big Sky and those are the schools we are more familiar with.  However, for the other sports and recruiting I believe the Mid-Con is a better fit.    

Comment

Story from the NWI Times:

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/04...5600145aac.txt

Go State!

Comment

Highlights from the Fargo Forum (sub. site but it is free):

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=124200

Chicago State departure from Mid-Con big news for Bison

Jeff Kolpack, The Forum
              Published Thursday, April 20, 2006

The most critical news for North Dakota State on Wednesday was not whether Tim Miles took a job, popped a zit or decided to stay in Fargo. . . .

No, the key piece of information for the Bison has to do with the big picture. Having a good basketball team is one thing. Getting into a conference is another.

They may have finally caught a break.

Chicago State announced on Wednesday night that it is leaving the Mid-Continent Conference in favor of independent status. That leaves the Mid-Con at eight teams and perhaps a renewed vigor on expansion.

The pieces are too easy to put together.

1) By getting one of its low-budget teams out of the league without even a fight, Mid-Con presidents can now focus on attracting schools that are serious in their athletics. That would be NDSU and South Dakota State.

2) New Mid-Con commissioner Thomas Douple is very familiar with NDSU and SDSU. As the former athletic director at Southern Utah, he helped formulate the Great West Football Conference, of which NDSU and Southern Utah are members. SUU is also a Mid-Con member.

3) Geographically, the Mid-Con is the best NDSU and SDSU can hope for. The University of Missouri-Kansas City men’s basketball team was pleasantly surprised how easy of a flight it was to Fargo when the Kangaroos played here in January.

Rumors of Chicago State’s departure have been out there since early March. The CBS SportsLine Web site reported two Mid-Con men’s basketball teams were advised to find nonconference replacements for Chicago State in 2006-07.

The problem probably stemmed from the women’s basketball program, which was put on probation for two years in 2004 for repeated violations. . . .

Finding a league is the last major hurdle for the school’s Division I reclassification.

Hope sprang a year and a half ago that the Big Sky Conference would open its doors. They closed when only Northern Colorado was accepted and there doesn’t seem to be much movement in the Sky to open them again.

But here comes the Mid-Con. It’s doubtful the league would want to remain at eight. Centenary College (La.), another low-budget Mid-Con member, failed at making a bid to get into the Southland Conference last fall.

If Centenary succeeded, the Mid-Con would be at seven schools at the end of this school year. That’s not enough to be considered a viable league.

Eight is not enough, either. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

This is great news for us. I would think we'll find a home real soon!

Comment

It certainly won't hurt our chances that we are already associate members of the Mid-Con in Men's and Women's Swimming. 8-)

http://www.mid-con.com/release.asp?RELEASE_ID=3398

Go State!

Comment

All good things come in time. Those involved in the decision to move up to DI even without a conference understood that. Now, we need to remain proactive and continue an open dialogue with all who will listen.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Home sweet home in the Mid-Con???

Comment

IF the Mid-Con offers, then it ACCENTUATES making the GWFC work. Then we both need a 6th team to join the GWFC, with the most likely candidate being the Sioux. Likewise, UND makes sense to "add" when adding SDSU/NDSU to ANY conference.

IF BSC offers, then GWFC folds, and our Cal/SUU partners scrambles in Indy condition. Again, IF UND jumps, and IF BSC comes calling, it appears it'll be a 3 pack of Dakota schools joining.

Still like the idea of a GW all-sports, but Cal schools are happy for Big West for the non-football. Both SDSU & NDSU need conferences for our other sports.

Whatever happens, I hope that the two SU's continue our long tradition & rivalry and find a conference together!

IPFW also interested in moving to Mid-Con. Does this leave UND without a conference to join? Do we (SDSU) care what occurs with UND if they leap to D-I?
                        I believe we do care, for the football card. Of course the long rivalry doesn't hurt either.

Comment

There has been a lot of talk about Western Kentucky leaving the Gateway Football Conference to move up to I-A and join the MAC. If that happens SDSU and NDSU may end up in a Mid-Con/Gateway combo which would be pretty cool. That being said, first things first let's get into an all sports conference! 8-)

Go State!

Comment

the rumor mills a moving this morning. isn't youngstown state in the midcon? i remember a former sioux falls ball start john sieverson when to some midcon school i believe. maybe im mistaken.

Comment

Getting involved in either conference is instantly great news for our school and athletic programs, especially basketball. I think our mens team would have had 3-5 more wins in the Mid-Con last year and who knows how our women would have faired. I would think they could have realistically had the best team in the conference. No matter what, it's great news.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X