X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MID CON SITE Visits

jack100 posted this over on the Bison Board:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...sportsweb.html

Interview with SDSU AD about MIDCON Site Visit.

The quality of the line to Dr. Oien isn't great but always good to get info straight from the source. Interesting the talk of merger in regards to the GWFC and other football conferences. You gotta think Dr. Oien is talking about the Gateway.

Go State!  

Comment

Chris Solari will be on with Chris Culhane on the Zone 1570 talking about the upcoming Mid-Con visits at around 4pm this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
        Chris Solari will be on with Chris Culhane on the Zone 1570 talking about the upcoming Mid-Con visits at around 4pm this afternoon.  

Dang it, I was on the phone and only cought the last 2 or 3 min. Anything new?

Go State!

Comment

Not really. I do give Culhane credit he is not afraid to branch outside of the Coyote World. Solari feels this is a done deal and they will try and get in finalized before the school year begins this year as the Big Sky is still lurking out there. Having the Jacks Swimming and Diving team in the Mid-Cont has been helpful and having a relationship with Douple by forming the Great West.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Go State!

Comment

I heard something interesting on the radio Monday when I was in Brookings.  910 was reporting that as part of the site visit, Commissioner Douple and a few others from his party would be going out to Spearfish to visit the Board of Regents while they meet.  I ment to post this sooner but I was traveling most of the week.  Not sure what to make of this other then they will get a chance to see the Beautiful Black Hills.   8-)

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                I heard something interesting on the radio Monday when I was in Brookings.  910 was reporting that as part of the site visit, Commissioner Douple and a few others from his party would be going out to Spearfish to visit the Board of Regents while they meet.  I ment to post this sooner but I was traveling most of the week.  Not sure what to make of this other then they will get a chance to see the Beautiful Black Hills.    8-)

Go State!  
                I wonder what days they'll be out here?  The Sturgis Rally runs from Aug 7 - 13.  That ought to give them something to do while they're in the area.

Comment

I heard something interesting on the radio Monday when I was in Brookings. 910 was reporting that as part of the site visit, Commissioner Douple and a few others from his party would be going out to Spearfish to visit the Board of Regents while they meet. I ment to post this sooner but I was traveling most of the week. Not sure what to make of this other then they will get a chance to see the Beautiful Black Hills. 8-)

Go State!
                  One of the concerns that will be addressed is the lukewarm support the board has shown for the D1 move over the past few years. I suspect the Mid-Con wants to make sure its new member isn't going to be yanked back to D2 on the whim of some board member. Before you say "that's impossible" think for a minute about the performance of the SD BofR over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
                    One of the concerns that will be addressed is the lukewarm support the board has shown for the D1 move over the past few years. I suspect the Mid-Con wants to make sure its new member isn't going to be yanked back to D2 on the whim of some board member. Before you say "that's impossible" think for a minute about the performance of the SD BofR over the years.
                    I would think they would like some guarantees that no matter how much whining another state institution does about the problems of finding new NCC members, it will not affect SDSU.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I heard something interesting on the radio Monday when I was in Brookings.  910 was reporting that as part of the site visit, Commissioner Douple and a few others from his party would be going out to Spearfish to visit the Board of Regents while they meet.  I ment to post this sooner but I was traveling most of the week.  Not sure what to make of this other then they will get a chance to see the Beautiful Black Hills.    8-)

Go State!  

Isn't this a little odd? I understand the SDBOR are having their scheduled meeting in Spearfish, but since the MidCon people are the guests of SDSU and essentially the SDBOR, don't you think the Regents should be coming to Brookings to vist with them. :-/
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

The makeup of the Board of Regents has changed from when the D-1 move was being proposed years ago. Three members, President Harvey Jewett, Vice President Randy Morris and member James Hansen were appointed by Gov. Janklow in 97, 01 and 95, respectively. The remaining members are all Rounds appointees from 03 and later. They are: Tony Ven Huizen, a Briggs Scholar and 05 summa *** laude grad of State who is now in law school at USD--he's an 03 appointment by Gov Rounds; former SDSU baseball standout Dean Krogman is the Board's Secretary, he's an 03 Rounds appointment; Terry Baloun, former Wells Fargo President, is a Northern State U grad and an 04 Rounds appointee; Richard Belatti is an 03 Rounds appointee, undergrad at St. Thomas and then USD med school; Kathryn Hanson is an 05 Rounds appointee with degrees from Black Hills State (BS), Iowa State (MS) and SD School of Mines (PhD); Carole Pagones, an 03 Rounds appointee with a degree from Western Michigan U.

These are serious people who are donating a lot of time to this state. I think the last thing they'd think about is unwinding SDSU's D-1 move. The Mid-Con visit is a nice courtesy call out of respect for the State's flagship university. And, maybe, they're real curious about Sturgis!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                          The makeup of the Board of Regents has changed from when the D-1 move was being proposed years ago.   Three members, President Harvey Jewett, Vice President Randy Morris and member James Hansen were appointed by Gov. Janklow in 97, 01 and 95, respectively.  The remaining members are all Rounds appointees from 03 and later.  They are:  Tony Ven Huizen, a Briggs Scholar and 05 summa *** laude grad of State who is now in law school at USD--he's an 03 appointment by Gov Rounds; former SDSU baseball standout Dean Krogman is the Board's Secretary, he's an 03 Rounds appointment; Terry Baloun, former Wells Fargo President, is a Northern State U grad and an 04 Rounds appointee; Richard Belatti is an 03 Rounds appointee, undergrad at St. Thomas and then USD med school; Kathryn Hanson is an 05 Rounds appointee with degrees from Black Hills State (BS), Iowa State (MS) and SD School of Mines (PhD); Carole Pagones, an 03 Rounds appointee with a degree from Western Michigan U.

These are serious people who are donating a lot of time to this state.  I think the last thing they'd think about is unwinding SDSU's D-1 move.  The Mid-Con visit is a nice courtesy call out of respect for the State's flagship university.  And, maybe, they're real curious about Sturgis!
                          Could not have said it better.  +++++++. Finding a conference plus not increasing student fees to pay for D1 move were the two key considerations that the BOR made in 2001 or whenever BOR made that decision. Having Mid Con officals meet with the BOR will probably put the icing on the cake. Lastly, the last BOR meeting was in Brookings was it June? I believe SDSU still has private planes that will work for travel to Spearfish and anywhere else they want to go. I would not get too excited about this request. My guess is that President Miller has alreay got Mid Con people on the BOR agenda.

Comment

I don't think it is a concern that they may want some reassurance. My guess is that they are just crossing the t's and dotting the i's. It was an issue with the BOR when SDSU made the move, double checking with them now shows that the Mid-Con wants everything in order. My previous comment was meant to be more of a shot at the whiners than anything else.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

South Dakota State campus preparing for Mid-Continent visit
                              Chris Solari
                              csolari@argusleader.com
                              July 20, 2006

A few chosen excerpts.....

In less than three weeks, the flowers around Brookings will be in full bloom, and the town's jazz quartet will blow some tunes at the Music On Main in downtown.

At the same time, South Dakota State officials will have a full schedule of schmoozing representatives from the Mid-Continent Conference in an attempt to secure membership.

"We're excited - who wouldn't be excited with the notion that we'll at last be able to finish this part of our strategic plan?" Athletic Director Fred Oien said. "Obviously, there is some caution. But at the same time, we're very optimistic."

Conference affiliation is important for a school to solidify schedules and travel each year. It also helps build the rivalries that make college athletics interesting to fans.

Many of the get-to-know-each-other sessions, which are scheduled from Aug. 9-11, will focus on the school's academic make-up, the surrounding community and athletic budgets and facilities.

The visit won't be limited to Brookings, however. SDSU leaders will take their guests to Sioux Falls, where they will show them Sioux Falls Stadium and Howard Wood Field.

Oien said both venues could be used to host conference tournaments in baseball and track, and that officials want to also assess Sioux Falls Regional Airport and the city, since some teams would stay here.

"It's important that they see Sioux Falls," Oien said.

With the Jackrabbits having just laid claim to the highest grade-point average in the nation among women's basketball teams, Coach Aaron Johnston said academic accolades are an important component of getting an invitation.

"Those are the first things a conference looks at, even before athletic success," he said. "I don't think it necessarily blows the doors open for the Mid-Continent, but it shows we are serious about academics."

Read the whole story at:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...39/1002/SPORTS

Comment

Having been on campus over the weekend it sure seems there is a lot of sprucing up to do prior to the Mid Con visit. The campus has a tired look to it and could use some fresh paint and weed pulling etc. I know we can't exactly do an overhaul in 2 weeks, but thought there would be a concentrated effort by the engineering dept to freshen up things? Maybe some last minute things are planned? Doesn't help that the main street into Brookings is all torn up. We should take nothing for granted. The rain falling should help make things look a little greener!

Comment

Working...
                                X