MID CON SITE Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MID CON SITE Visits

At the close of the 6:00 news on WDAY tonight Steve Hellstrom announced that the Mid Cont officals will visit NDSU on August 7, 8 and 9th.

Has anyone heard dates for the SDSU visit? One would think that the SDSU visit would either proceed or follow the NDSU visit.

Re: MID CON SITE Visits

well it probally wouldn't be at the same time now would it???

Comment

Originally posted by jacks81
      well it probally wouldn't be at the same time now would it???

No the visits will not be the same time since Steve the WDAY guy mentioned that they would visit with a number of people on campus. So its more than viewing the facilities its also about visiting about academic programs and the commitment to D1. It would be impossible to visit both campuses at the same time without splitting the delegation of visitors or having a double delegation, which not be a saving in air fares. My guess the delegations maybe the same people but they would visit all three different campuses at different dates.

Comment

I'm guessing that the visit will likely take place in one of the two weeks following NDSU unless they are going to try to squeeze two visits in one week. I'm certain that the Mid-Con committee will want to visit the SF airport and the Birdcage (to host a Mid-Con baseball tourney sometime down the road) in addition to the SDSU campus......

Comment

There seems to be an idea that the site visits are mainly about facilities. I disagree. My impression of what the site visits are about is more about meeting the athletic and academic staffs, going over compliance and financial data, and getting a sense of how serious the institution is about being successful in Division I.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Another good Gem by Solari
            http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...607060333/1002
            But as SDSU President Peggy Miller said, that has nothing to do with traveling to South Dakota.

"It's pretty complicated to set this up because, having three schools, it's going to take a good bit of organization," Miller said. "We told them we'd be glad to accommodate their schedule."

The still-to-be-determined date of the planned visit, likely in early August, makes it difficult for many college leaders because fall semester classes at their institutions will be about to begin.

Still, the Jackrabbits' staff has plenty of things to get ready for when the Mid-Con representatives do get there. Tom Douple, the league's commissioner, likened their site visit to the ones the NCAA conducts when it certifies institutions - academics and athletics will both be carefully studied. Aspects such as budgets and staff, facilities, event management and sports history will be reviewed.

"There's a lot of work to do," said Fred Oien, SDSU's athletic director. "It's not a foregone conclusion at all."

Comment

Here is the link to the Fargo Forum article this morning about the site visit. I think the news of specific dates hit late yesterday so it appears the article was put together in short fashion. There is not as much detail as Chris's article which apparently was more planned.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/ind...section=sports

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                At the close of the 6:00 news on WDAY tonight Steve Hellstrom announced that the Mid Cont officals will visit NDSU on August 7, 8 and 9th.

Has anyone heard dates for the SDSU visit? One would think that the SDSU visit would either proceed or follow the NDSU visit.
                From today's Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...607060333/1002

.  .  . Dates for expansion or the presidents' next meeting have not yet been set. Oien said the league's brass has told SDSU to be prepared for a visit sometime in the first two weeks of August.  .  .  .

Comment

According to a post on Bisonville the IPFW visit is set for Aug. 2-4.

Comment

The date has been set for officials from the Mid-Continent Conference to visit South Dakota State University.

A seven-member team will make the site visit to the Brookings campus Aug. 9-11, SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien said.
                    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/60706018

Comment

Thanks for the update, bluehatman. I had thought the Mid-Con would have wanted three full days on each campus, but the scheduled timeframe should be long enough for them to get a feel for the campus, staff, and the direction we want to go. Way to go, Jacks!!!

Comment

Well one advantage of having NDSU/SDSU back to back is that it will show how easy it is to get from one school to the other.

Comment

If I remember correctly (admittedly a big if), I thought Douple said in an interview that it was unlikely that the same team would be visiting each school because of trying to get schedules to work. All that would be the same was that there would be a president, A.D., facilities dir., etc. Might be wrong on this, but it seems to make more sense that any one of those taking a 9 days off two or three weeks before school starts.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                            The date has been set for officials from the Mid-Continent Conference to visit South Dakota State University.

A seven-member team will make the site visit to the Brookings campus Aug. 9-11, SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien said.
                            http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/60706018
                            Very interesting. In another thread, Jerry O. said that football media day at SDSU is Aug. 9th. The athletic department is going to be pretty busy, I'd say.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Paperwork can be reviewed anywhere. Certainly the Mid-Con reps will be looking at the paperwork, but a lot of what is going on is the Mid-Con showing up and saying "impress us". They want to talk to all the people involved, make sure all the paperwork is in order. It's sort of like when you decide to buy a car, and you have a mechanic take a look at it before you sign the paperwork. Impressing the with the facilities is helpful, as is showing that the campus and community is excited and committed to the Mid-Con. Making the visitors feel welcome and wanted goes a long way in any deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X