Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Mid-Con Ivite speculation

Default Re: Mid-Con Ivite speculation

Quote Originally Posted by jackphd

There is no time for "warmest congratulations" in journalism.
    That is what is wrong with your profession. Too many of your contemporaries have lost the human touch that people crave.

As I have said again and again, that's not their job.
    You have said many times what their job is not. I would like to hear what you think their job is.

Perhaps you would enjoy a state-run media system where you wouldn't find icky, negative stories. North Korea would be a good choice for that.

As I recall you were the one who "wasn't sure" you wanted that kind of press. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

With all due respect to the journalists, and those who teach them, I still say Whitney has absolutely no idea where the line is between his opinion and fact, and just plain smarminess. Is he supposed to be a cheerleader for State? No. Is he necessarily supposed to walk out of bounds to rain on the parade the day they announce? I say heck no. I haven't looked at the Fargo Forum article announcing this for NDSU, but I'd be willing to wager they didn't spend as much time as they thought they could get away with telling us how poor the Mid-Con was. Are they not good journalists? Do reporters report, or do they make the story? It's not hard to tell what Whitney's opinion is from his article. Then again, this is cours de rigeur for the Argus in general, so I'm not surprised.

So, I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by SoDak
    With all due respect to the journalists, and those who teach them, I still say Whitney has absolutely no idea where the line is between his opinion and fact, and just plain smarminess. Is he supposed to be a cheerleader for State? No. Is he necessarily supposed to walk out of bounds to rain on the parade the day they announce? I say heck no. I haven't looked at the Fargo Forum article announcing this for NDSU, but I'd be willing to wager they didn't spend as much time as they thought they could get away with telling us how poor the Mid-Con was. Are they not good journalists? Do reporters report, or do they make the story? It's not hard to tell what Whitney's opinion is from his article. Then again, this is cours de rigeur for the Argus in general, so I'm not surprised.

So, I guess we'll agree to disagree.
    I think I share this sentiment. Matt Zimmer often has a flavor to his take on the Twins that stinks of Whitney's influence. Stu seems to be trying to polish his journalistic integrity by being a bit controversial. I'm not asking for a Sid Hartman homer at the Argus but they do need someone better than Whitney, Garry, and Zimmer, at least when it comes to local DI athletics. Don't care who you are, DI athletics with a conference affiliation is HUGE for the state of South Dakota, HUGE. Whitney's article didn't come across as understanding that and I'm not sure he does. That, to me, is a scary thought.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

I am not going to pile on Stu Whitney, although I can not argue with most of the comments toward him. I bet he enjoys reading this thread and probably has a smile on his face. If he indeed respects SDSU, he has not shown it publically in his writings. This is all I am going to say.

I think we need to continue supporting our Jacks like never before. We are going to make an impact on the Mid Con. When you consider all the issues at Chicago State, its no surprise that the Mid Con presidents were unaninimous on all three new members. We have the commitment on campus to be a good D1 member and Mid Con conference member. To me that is all that counts. Let Mr. Whitney use is ink any way he wants. We can't stop the press, unless we change the US Constitution and that would be more than what we bargined for.

Quote Originally Posted by Haldersham
    I am not going to pile on Stu Whitney, although I can not argue with most of the comments toward him. I bet he enjoys reading this thread and probably has a smile on his face. If he indeed respects SDSU, he has not shown it publically in his writings. This all I am going to say.

I think we need to continue supporting our Jacks like never before. We are going to make an impact on the Mid Con. When you consider all the issues at Chicago State, its no surprise that the Mid Con presidents were unaninimous on all three new members. We have the commitment on campus to be a good D1 member and Mid Con conference member. To me that is all that counts. Let Mr. Whitney use is ink any way he wants. We can't stop the press, unless we change the US Constitution and that would be more than what we bargined for.
    Agreed, my post kind of sounds like whining, not what it is at all. SDSU, the Mid-Con, and DI are a lot bigger than the Argus and won't be affected one bit by what Whitney or anyone else writes. Good, bad or ugly the print really doesn't matter here. DI is not a popularity contest, its reality. Thing are going great and should continue to. Its all just frosting from here.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.