The Jackrabbit Logo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Jackrabbit Logo

I am pretty sure it is Dawson-Boyd High School. And I think you are right JD, it is the Blackjacks.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I was looking at the Kansas University floor on their website and I was wondering if SDSU could put a big running rabbit logo in the middle of Frost Area like the Jayhawks have. Here is a picture of the Jayhawk logo on their court.

http://kuathletics.cstv.com/genrel/0...ai.html?pic=13

I can't seem to figure out how to post a picture. Anyhow, with the Rabbit logo being redesigned I think it would be cool if they put a big rabbit on the floor. I understand this all costs money and the university athletic department has more pressing issues with scholarships funding, facility upgrades, adding more assistant coaches and coaching salaries, but I do like what KU has done with their floor.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
        I was looking at the Kansas University floor on their website and I was wondering if SDSU could put a big running rabbit logo in the middle of Frost Area like the Jayhawks have.  Here is a picture of the Jayhawk logo on their court.

I can't seem to figure out how to post a picture.  Anyhow, with the Rabbit logo being redesigned I think it would be cool if they put a big rabbit on the floor.  I understand this all costs money and the university athletic department has more pressing issues with scholarships funding, facility upgrades, adding more assistant coaches and coaching salaries, but I do like what KU has done with their floor.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
        We discussed this very issue about 1.5 years ago. It would be sweet (at least Jack1979, myself and NorCalJack think so). But, I remember someone saying certain administrators aren't real fond of the running rabbit so it probably won't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
          [quote author=NorCalJack link=1160660665/30#31 date=1165512129]I was looking at the Kansas University floor on their website and I was wondering if SDSU could put a big running rabbit logo in the middle of Frost Area like the Jayhawks have. Here is a picture of the Jayhawk logo on their court.

I can't seem to figure out how to post a picture. Anyhow, with the Rabbit logo being redesigned I think it would be cool if they put a big rabbit on the floor. I understand this all costs money and the university athletic department has more pressing issues with scholarships funding, facility upgrades, adding more assistant coaches and coaching salaries, but I do like what KU has done with their floor.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
          We discussed this very issue about 1.5 years ago. It would be sweet (at least Jack1979, myself and NorCalJack think so). But, I remember someone saying certain administrators aren't real fond of the running rabbit so it probably won't happen.
          [/quote]

I don't think it's so much that certain administrators aren't fond of the current Running Rabbit, but that it's a) a lawsuit from Time Warner waiting to happen and/or b) impossible to market successfully because of a).

We need a new Jackrabbit logo, that's pretty much all there is to it. Once we get one (especially with the coveted (R) Registered Trademark beside it), I would not be at all surprised to see it prominently displayed on the Frost Arena floor.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
            [quote author=Rabbitlivinginverm link=1160660665/30#32 date=1165535546][quote author=NorCalJack link=1160660665/30#31 date=1165512129]I was looking at the Kansas University floor on their website and I was wondering if SDSU could put a big running rabbit logo in the middle of Frost Area like the Jayhawks have.  Here is a picture of the Jayhawk logo on their court.

I can't seem to figure out how to post a picture.  Anyhow, with the Rabbit logo being redesigned I think it would be cool if they put a big rabbit on the floor.  I understand this all costs money and the university athletic department has more pressing issues with scholarships funding, facility upgrades, adding more assistant coaches and coaching salaries, but I do like what KU has done with their floor.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
            We discussed this very issue about 1.5 years ago.  It would be sweet (at least Jack1979, myself and NorCalJack think so).  But, I remember someone saying certain administrators aren't real fond of the running rabbit so it probably won't happen.
            [/quote]

I don't think it's so much that certain administrators aren't fond of the current Running Rabbit, but that it's a) a lawsuit from Time Warner waiting to happen and/or b) impossible to market successfully because of a).

We need a new Jackrabbit logo, that's pretty much all there is to it.  Once we get one (especially with the coveted (R) Registered Trademark beside it), I would not be at all surprised to see it prominently displayed on the Frost Arena floor.[/quote]

Yes, I now remember that aspect of it as well.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...D=200661221012
              Some more news on the new Jackrabbit logo.
              South Dakota State University is looking to a New York City firm to create its new jackrabbit mascot.

And drawing a new rabbit comes with a New York price tag: $6,000 so far, which is more than a full year’s tuition for a South Dakota student to attend the Brookings school.

Since 1972, SDSU has been synonymous with the Bugs Bunny-like Jackrabbit.
              In just a couple short months, that will all change.

The school wants to shed its cartoony mascot for something a little more sophisticated and appropo for a Division I school.

Derek Peterson, University Bookstore director, said Associate Athletic Director Rob Peterson showed him an advertising program from the Division I Independent Baseball Tournament earlier this year.

“When we looked at other schools, you could see that we needed to take a look,” he said. “It made us look dated. ... (Our mascot) looks more Walt Disney or cartoonish than pro-line.”

Comment

I found that "full year's tuition" line a bit over the top. Pulling comparisons out of the sky isn't really useful. Where does it stop? President Chicoine's salary is more than a full year's tuition for 50 students. Tad Perry, with his two salaries (remember? he retired and got rehired, with full pay and full retirement pay), is paid enough to cover the tuition for 80 students. The university budget for paper clips is more than full tuition for two students. What is the point?
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I also found the references to Halbach and Crickard towards the end of the article confusing. There is no explanation as to who those guys are. It is obvious but it is usually stated.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                    I also found the references to Halbach and Crickard towards the end of the article confusing. There is no explanation as to who those guys are. It is obvious but it is usually stated.
                    Yup. Bad editing.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                      I found that "full year's tuition" line a bit over the top. Pulling comparisons out of the sky isn't really useful. Where does it stop? President Chicoine's salary is more than a full year's tuition for 50 students. Tad Perry, with his two salaries (remember? he retired and got rehired, with full pay and full retirement pay), is paid enough to cover the tuition for 80 students. The university budget for paper clips is more than full tuition for two students. What is the point?
                      I agree it's over the top. It does show you the bargain that is an SDSU education, though.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

It looks like the Argus editors finally took a look at Ms. Brandert's copy and cleaned it up a bit . . .

Mascot makeover: Bugs Bunny look-alike to become lean, mean jackrabbit
                        Student Association President Alex Halbach added the rabbit was bulky and big-boned.

Firm representatives are taking their job seriously. They even sought rabbits in test fields on the edge of campus - a task that impressed Halbach.

"They went on kind of a mini hunt to find jackrabbits in the field to see how they move and run," he said. "I don't know how many firms would go around in a truck chasing jackrabbits."
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Much better.

Go State!

Comment

I'm sure it was never officially sanctioned but in the sixties I remember sweat shirts with a big, vicious looking beast with fangs-- undoubtedly some kind of horrible radiation inspired mutation. A bit paunchy too, maybe a lineman type rabbit. Looked a lot more macho than the Bugs character of the last 30+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                              [quote author=NorCalJack link=1160660665/30#31 date=1165512129]I was looking at the Kansas University floor on their website and I was wondering if SDSU could put a big running rabbit logo in the middle of Frost Area like the Jayhawks have.  Here is a picture of the Jayhawk logo on their court.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                              We discussed this very issue about 1.5 years ago.  It would be sweet (at least Jack1979, myself and NorCalJack think so).  But, I remember someone saying certain administrators aren't real fond of the running rabbit so it probably won't happen.
                              [/quote]

I think this was discussed earlier too, but here is my thoughts anyway.  I would like a logo that showcases the state of South Dakota and the SD logo.  Here are some examples.

University of North Carolina
                              http://tarheelblue.cstv.com/faciliti...th-center.html

University of Indiana
                              http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/facilitie...-assembly.html

Texas A&M University
                              http://www.aggieathletics.com/facilities.php?FID=11

University of Texas
                              http://www.texassports.com/index.php...article_id=124

We...ARE...STATE!
                              SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

I have always liked the state outline on the courts. I think it would be a good look at Frost.

Comment

Working...
                                X