• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jackrabbit Logo

The Collegian has a front page article on our beloved mascot and logo:
    http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

They also chimed in with this editorial:
    http://www.sdsucollegian.com/media/s...ucollegian.com

I know some people may find the Jackrabbit to be outdated while some may find change to be discomforting. I understand why the Athletic Department would want to look at changing the logo. It is being used in an inconsistent fashion at times, particularly when the track teams still have the "ancient" Jackrabbit on their uniforms.

I hope that the Athletic Department makes minor changes and that SDSU develops a consistent method of using the Jackrabbit and SDSU logos. Even if SDSU wants a new Jackrabbit as its primary logo, the current Jackrabbit should be kept around for use as most of the alums are familar with the logo. In other words, the bookstore should still order some clothing items with the current, or "classic," logo.

Re: The Jackrabbit Logo

One of the problems with logos is SDSU has too many of them. The athletic department uses the "Running" Rabbit and the Stretch SD. The University Admin uses the Campinile (sp). The athletic teams are not consistent, not to mention the colors used by the teams are not consistent. One of the big isssues, as was mentioned in the Collegian arcticle, is trademarks and the use of SDSU and the rabbit logo. I don't know if this is still the case, but a few years ago Scheels in SF was selling SDSU Athletic clothing with a bastardized rabbit logo. SDSU sees no royalties from sales of this merchandise.

I think it's a good idea to look into a new rabbit logo since the Running Rabbit seems to have fallen behind the Stretch SD as the logo of choice for the athletic department. But when the new logo is picked the Running Rabbit needs to be retired. Makes no sense to me to go thru the work of designing a new logo, getting it trademarked, and then still selling the old logo. I know people don't like change, but fact of the matter is SDSU is changing so people are going to have to accept it.

It would be nice to someday see SDSU T-shirts and Sweatshirts in sports clothing stores here in the Twin Cities along side the UND, USD, NDSU, St. Cloud State, Bemidji State, etc. Maybe that will be part of this whole process, to brand SDSU outside of the state of SD.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I admit I've never really cared for the saggy SD logo (is it officially the "stretch SD?" It's the saggy SD to me . . . ).

I like the Running Rabbit a lot. If they updated that to look a bit more "modern" I'd be OK with it.

I'll also admit I prefer "Rabbits" to "Jacks" as the short form of "Jackrabbits." There are lots of "Jacks" running around, lumberjacks, etc. There's only one Jackrabbits.

I like the emphasis on our being "STATE."

From the looks of the Phoenix Design Works portfolio, they like to combine somewhat more realistic cartoons of animal logos with words/initials of the institutions they work with.

So some form of updated Running Rabbit combined with the text "SDSU", "South Dakota State University", "STATE", and/or "Rabbits" would be what I'd be looking for in a new logo.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I like the athletic look of the current running rabbit, after all anyone who has ever seen a live jackrabbit (the animal, not the athlete) on the move knows that is what jackrabbits do.  But I speak with bias because that is the only SDSU mascot that I have known.  As the new jackrabbit is designed into a logo I think that it is important that the letters SDSU are incorporated into it.

I have never liked the current stretched SD logo because the letters SU are not a part of it.  Another thread on this board includes posts expressing distaste with the football officials for referring to SDSU as "South Dakota."  I found that distasteful too but believe that the current SD logo contributes to that misunderstanding.

My requests for the new logo include the following:

1)  A jackrabbit that is kid friendly.  I am always amazed at how the little kids love the jackrabbit mascot.  I think we should keep that because kids should grow up loving South Dakota State University.  Anything other attitude borders on child abuse  .

2)  The letters SDSU or the phrase South Dakota State University.  We should leave no doubt who we are.  I don't think we need to worry about being confused with the SDSU in southern California as long as our colors are right and our rabbit doesn't have an Aztec look about him.

3)  Whatever else I think of (or someone else thinks of) later.

Comment

I personally like the running rabbit. I wouldn't mind a tweek or two, but I've always like the rabbit. I too preferred the old SD (the design just before the saggy SD).

When I was playing we often referred to ourselves as the 'Bits. It's a little confusing and for a while there Stig thought we were referring to each other as female dogs. The saying was 'hum now 'bits. Stig eventually warmed to it.

On a side note - maybe the Argus should take a design cue from the collegian. The collegian site is proof positive that you can have a nice looking and easy to navigate newspaper website.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack
            2)  The letters SDSU or the phrase South Dakota State University.  We should leave no doubt who we are.  I don't think we need to worry about being confused with the SDSU in southern California as long as our colors are right and our rabbit doesn't have an Aztec look about him.
            Just a little story from when the Pride was in the Rose Parade.  After we got done taking our picture in front of the Rose Bowl we walked through the float assembly area and countless people that walked by was said things like, "I'm from San Diego", "Hey, San Diego State", or some other reference to San Diego. And this was while we were wearing our Pride uniforms with the Campanile logo and SDSU below it, and they're white, blue, and yellow, not black and red.  People in southern California will never get it. Also we were asked countless times how come there weren't any African-Americans in the band. We had a couple though.
            The only way to get away from San Diego State is to use the SD State more often. As much is as love just SDSU, it would help referencing us to the rest of the nation when they see SD State on ESPN (if they can actually be uniform and use SD State instead of S Dakta St).  If you think of NC State, you never see them referenced as NCSU, there NC State.

It would be nice to someday see SDSU T-shirts and Sweatshirts in sports clothing stores here in the Twin Cities along side the UND, USD, NDSU, St. Cloud State, Bemidji State, etc.  Maybe that will be part of this whole process, to brand SDSU outside of the state of SD.
            I totally agree with this.  If updating the rabbit to something more marketable, then I'm all for it.  I hate going into almost any sporting goods store in the cities and seeing UND and NDSU, but nothing from SD.  I remember once a couple years ago looking to see if there was any thing SDSU in the Mall of America and found one SDSU stocking hat, and right next to it was one from USD. That was all I could find from SD.
            Go State! Go State!

Comment

I like the running rabbit. Don't mind the stretch SD but agree that our logo needs to clearly define that we are South Dakota State University. I like SD State much better as an abbreviation than S. Dakta St. or whatever ESPN is using. I don't think people confuse SD State with San Diego State, maybe I'm wrong. I see NDSU is now NDSU on the ticker. Nationally, we will never be SDSU, the Aztecs have that secured.

The campanile is great and more professional when it comes to academics but it should be of no consideration when it comes to athletic logos. I'd also like to see a commitment to the yellow and blue. That may mean eliminating the navy and gold stuff that is out there, I admit I have some of those articles. No way you can satisfy everybody but I think a focus on the State part and the Jackrabbit with yellow and blue are key points. I'm visually challenged, though, and probably not the best person to ask.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I too like the running rabbit and have never been a big fan of the stretch SD. I am very interested to see the new design looks like.

Go State!

Comment

I like the stretch SD and the running rabbit.

Comment

Hi folks - Jeremy Fugleberg here, editor-in-chief at The Collegian. Just to let you all know - we'll be following up the logo story all the way - next issue we'll look at marketing and trademark issues. Also, we'll try to get up potential logos on our website, if they get released between issues.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksjournalist07
                      Hi folks - Jeremy Fugleberg here, editor-in-chief at The Collegian. Just to let you all know - we'll be following up the logo story all the way - next issue we'll look at marketing and trademark issues. Also, we'll try to get up potential logos on our website, if they get released between issues.
                      Thanks, Jeremy!
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Welcome Jeremy . . . sounds like you really want to make SD State a focal point for others to notice. What it the best way to do that, whether it be the stretch SDSU logo or the running rabbit, I don't know. All I know is . . . . LET'S GO RABBITS!!!! Keep winning, and everything else will take care of itself!!

Comment

Just a tidbit from stuff we're working on -- apparently using "jacks" is a problem, because as was mentioned earlier in the thread, 'jacks" doesn't necessarily mean jackrabbits. It sounds like "Jacks" will continue to be used, but only regionally, where people would know what it means.

I'm torn on the saggy SD, and I've never been a big fan of the grinning rabbit, personally. I do completely agree everyone (athletics, etc) need to get on the same page regarding a look. Just from a marketing perspective, I think its confusing to not to have consistent colors, fonts and logos. Keep the campanile as an academic logo, but lets still get a new, sharp look that we all use. The campanile looks silly on backpacks -- akin to marketing a state using the state seal (booring).

Another tidbit to throw out there -- I don't know what we'll get yet, but many schools who are rebranding are going with face-forward, tough-looking animals. I just don't know how you do "fast" when it's coming right at you, so I don't know if it'll work with a new bunny.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksjournalist07
                            Just a tidbit from stuff we're working on -- apparently using "jacks" is a problem, because as was mentioned earlier in the thread, 'jacks" doesn't necessarily mean jackrabbits. It sounds like "Jacks" will continue to be used, but only regionally, where people would know what it means.

I'm torn on the saggy SD, and I've never been a big fan of the grinning rabbit, personally. I do completely agree everyone (athletics, etc) need to get on the same page regarding a look. Just from a marketing perspective, I think its confusing to not to have consistent colors, fonts and logos. Keep the campanile as an academic logo, but lets still get a new, sharp look that we all use. The campanile looks silly on backpacks -- akin to marketing a state using the state seal (booring).

Another tidbit to throw out there -- I don't know what we'll get yet, but many schools who are rebranding are going with face-forward, tough-looking animals. I just don't know how you do "fast" when it's coming right at you, so I don't know if it'll work with a new bunny.
                            I'm ready for a new look . . . and looking forward to seeing what the Phoenix Design Works comes up with.

Let's Go Rabbits!!!"
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think the biggest concern for me is that making a rabbit seem tough would only end up being silly at best. It's a rabbit. Monty Python had a classic bit in the Holy Grail regarding the idea of a ferocious rabbit. The humor in the bit was the fact that this "little, little bunny" was causing havoc. If we came up with a mean looking rabbit to for whatever reason, we're part of the joke. That's why I favor merely tweaking the running rabbit if anything.
                              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                              X