Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frost Arena Capacity?

Originally posted by tdhummel
    They better fix the upper level steps (south end) before they change anything in there.  If there ever was a fire in there during a game it would be bad.
    Well you know if you read some other threads about campus improvements, you would see they plan on fixing those this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
      I wonder if there is any consideration in turning the old press box on the upper west side of the arena into suites?
      I was thinking the other day that it might be cool, not sure if it is practical, to turn the GA offices and Wellness weightroom on the north end of the gym into some corner suites.

That might be pretty sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
        [quote author=tdhummel link=1173939865/15#28 date=1174267778]They better fix the upper level steps (south end) before they change anything in there.  If there ever was a fire in there during a game it would be bad.
        Well you know if you read some other threads about campus improvements, you would see they plan on fixing those this summer.[/quote]
        I'm one who has previously posted this project of converting the south side bleachers will happen this summer. I've heard recently though that it in fact won't happen this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
          [quote author=tdhummel link=1173939865/15#28 date=1174267778]They better fix the upper level steps (south end) before they change anything in there.  If there ever was a fire in there during a game it would be bad.
          Well you know if you read some other threads about campus improvements, you would see they plan on fixing those this summer.[/quote]

You're very knowledeable about SDSU....but you have to realize that not everyone has their face glued to this website 24/7

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
            [quote author=thebluehatman link=1173939865/30#30 date=1174268191][quote author=tdhummel link=1173939865/15#28 date=1174267778]They better fix the upper level steps (south end) before they change anything in there.  If there ever was a fire in there during a game it would be bad.
            I'm one who has previously posted this project of converting the south side bleachers will happen this summer.  I've heard recently though that it in fact won't happen this summer.  [/quote]

Btown is right. The legislative bill that would have provided the bonding for capital improvement projects at all 6 universities was changed the last days of session to give money to technology on campuses instead. It could still happen this summer depending on priorities but the funding is not secured by the state. M and R fees could still go towards the project.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
              [quote author=JACKGUYII link=1173939865/15#29 date=1174268020]I wonder if there is any consideration in turning the old press box on the upper west side of the arena into suites?
              I was thinking the other day that it might be cool, not sure if it is practical, to turn the GA offices and Wellness weightroom on the north end of the gym into some corner suites.

That might be pretty sweet.  
              [/quote]

A few years back a few of us in the athletic department were talking about that idea. Biggest issue with that is any modifications to those areas would require bringing access for individuals with disabilities to the "suites". Meaning an elevator of some sort. There's not enough space to run an elevator to either location, so pulling that off could be near impossible.

Now, if laws have changed in the last four years or our logic was flawed back then it could be a possibility, but I wouldn't think so.
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Thinking about it, you're right Catchemall, in the current arrangement I don't see how they would be able to comply with the ADA.

Are the new seating arrangements that have been talked about in the upper level going to be permanent? I would think different things could be done once the Wellness Center and the Student Athlete Dev. Center are completed. Those two buildings would render the running track expendable, wouldn't it?

Comment

Are the Student Athlete Dev. Center plans finalized at all, or is it just rumors?  They won't be able to do anything to the HPER track until that building is constructed with another indoor track.  
                  And why would they change the south bleachers to "seat back chairs" if it reduces seating?

Comment

Originally posted by proudbunny
                    Are the Student Athlete Dev. Center plans finalized at all, or is it just rumors? They won't be able to do anything to the HPER track until that building is constructed with another indoor track.
                    And why would they change the south bleachers to "seat back chairs" if it reduces seating?
                    No, and no. The Dev. Center is next up for facilities, there may be low-key fundraising going on right now (I don't have inside info there) but it's much more than rumors, as conceptual designs are showing up in various sports' media guides for SDSU.

I think the thought on changing the upper deck south bleachers to seat-backs is to increase the available inventory in reserved seating in the building.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by proudbunny
                      More reserved seats at an increased premium equals more money over a season than 1 or 2 sellouts with more GA seats available. That, my friend, is it in a nutshell. A 5000 seat capacity is more than adequate for the duration of a BB season right now. That limits access for some fans to post-season games and prime events (like NDSU) but leaves plenty of seats for other games. As I have said from the beginning of the transition, if you want to be assured of seats to future games at Frost you better budget for season tickets and make the investment.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It doesnt seem to me that they need more reserved seating at this point. Only if the current allottment are sold out for the regular season. Once they get to that point, then more seat back reserved seats might make sense. Having more reserved seats just for playoff games doesnt make sense since for those games you can basically set your price and sell as many as you can. Twelve dollars for this weeks game in gen. admission is dirt cheap. You could have sold them for $15 this weekend and had the same crowd.

As an aside, FIX THE DAMN STEPS coming out of the southeast corner of Frost. What an embarrassment! That just didnt happen overnite. For crying out loud. A couple ratty old pieces of plywood blocking them. Im sure thats real impressive to someone looking the campus over. There is no excuse for that. And now they pay the price because they cant fill all the bleachers up.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
                          It doesnt seem to me that they need more reserved seating at this point.  Only if the current allottment are sold out for the regular season.  Once they get to that point, then more seat back reserved seats might make sense.  Having more reserved seats just for playoff games doesnt make sense since for those games you can basically set your price and sell as many as you can.  Twelve dollars for this weeks game in gen. admission is dirt cheap.  You could have sold them for $15 this weekend and had the same crowd.  

As an aside, FIX THE DAMN STEPS coming out of the southeast corner of Frost.  What an embarrassment!  That just didnt happen overnite. For crying out loud.  A couple ratty old pieces of plywood blocking them.  Im sure thats real impressive to someone looking the campus over.  There is no excuse for that.  And now they pay the price because they cant fill all the bleachers up.  

Didn't you see bluehatman snip at me about the steps earlier.... I agree about the steps.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
                            It doesnt seem to me that they need more reserved seating at this point.  Only if the current allottment are sold out for the regular season.  Once they get to that point, then more seat back reserved seats might make sense.  Having more reserved seats just for playoff games doesnt make sense since for those games you can basically set your price and sell as many as you can.  Twelve dollars for this weeks game in gen. admission is dirt cheap.  You could have sold them for $15 this weekend and had the same crowd.  

As an aside, FIX THE DAMN STEPS coming out of the southeast corner of Frost.  What an embarrassment!  That just didnt happen overnite. For crying out loud.  A couple ratty old pieces of plywood blocking them.  Im sure thats real impressive to someone looking the campus over.  There is no excuse for that.  And now they pay the price because they cant fill all the bleachers up.  
                            What you say makes some sense (re season tickets), but one needs to understand that the drive is going to intensify to sell reserved seat season tickets. With conference affiliation starting next year with a good solid schedule in January and February; eligibility for post-season the following year; success at the women's level and a turn-around (yes, I believe a pretty big turn around) coming on the men, season tickets sales will be moving up, and I think fairly rapidly -- that is a major goal for the department.

So: you can't sell season tickets unless you have reserved seats for the buyers, and you can't wait until all the reserved are gone, and start thinking about putting in more reserved seats. As noted elsewhere, it is not even certain exactly when that project will start, but it is on the burner.

Finally, JackMD has it right: fewer seats, higher demand means higher value for tickets (come on, supply side economics at work). And season tickets are preferable because you are not subject to the whims of weather, level of the competition, conflicting events, etc. Just plan on  getting your season tickets and also be aware of the seating priority system and how you can improve your seats by supporting SDSU athletics!!! I've had mine for 36 years and will be giving mine up when the call (from above or below) comes!

Comment

While I'm wound up, I'll go one step further! If anybody out there wants to make a large donation to fix the steps, I can assist you. The department has hundreds of priorities on money, with the biggest one being coming up with the money to expand the scholarship need (football: 27 more scholies at $12,000 per year). You do the math. So dissing the department for not fixing the steps is out of order. Nobody knew at budget time the last two years, that we would host WNIT games and see the first need for additional seating this year since we moved to D-I. Give them a break...please. I am personally familiar with the financial stress the department has to deal with in raising the money and funding all the priorities. Just one more example: to get into the Mid-Continent, we have to fund an additional men's assistant coach and women's assistant coach (in basketball). We don't have a choice if we want to be in the conference, so again...if you've got extra money over and above what you are donating now, I can point you in the right direction.

Comment

Sorry Jacksfan, your out of order. The steps are the problem of the campus facility managment staff not the athletic department. SDSUs failure inregard to M and R is well known throughout the state. Steps leading into a building that are falling apart is a risk managment and a life safety issue. There is no excuse for it period. Im not alone in my feelings. I have talked to important alumni who were there this weekend and they were equally embarrassed. Its pretty basic. Keep your buildings and grounds maintained before you start adding other stuff. Its the way most sane people deal with their homes and the way sucessful businesses deal with their property. Quit making excuses for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X