Frost Arena Capacity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Frost Arena Capacity?

The answer is either somewhere in Area 51 or burried with the WMD's in the Middle East. Either way finding the answer, or getting an answer won't happen any time soon.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
      My question is where in the heck are the other 700+ seats that weren't filled last night. I counted about 100 seats in the reserved section that were empty (Obviously not an exact science), and the bleachers around me were packed to the corners. There were also a number of fans standing throughout the game in the corners of the arena as they couldn't find a seat. If that was 5700+ through the turnstiles, I don't know if Frost truly holds 6500.
      I'm sure that some season ticket holders purchased tickets to support SDSU, but they were unable to use the tickets for whatever reason. I had heard that 6200 tickets had been sold (plus the ~200 that were available on Sat.), so I was surprised by the 5719 number.

The capacity of Frost at this point can't be anymore than 6000. The concern over continually-reduced capacity isn't just for basketball games, but for spring graduation, especially if SDSU consistently has large graduating classes. Yes, Frost as a building has a lot of life left in it, but some work is needed for it to be a top-notch D-I facility for the next 30-40 years.

JimmyJack, I understand the importance of increasing the value of the seats. Two points here:
      1) You need the students to be there and you need to set aside a considerable chunk of seats (more than just the student bleachers) for them. Look at the energy from that section last night. Yes, students will pay for postseason games, but getting them (at this point) to pay for all games (in addition to the student fee) is a big stretch.
      2) SDSU shouldn't price itself out of the market. This is still an area with a lot of blue-collar workers. Their kids (and the workers themselves) are a major source of future students. Maximizing revenues is good, but it shouldn't come at the cost of alienating a large part of its fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
        My question is where in the heck are the other 700+ seats that weren't filled last night.  I counted about 100 seats in the reserved section that were empty (Obviously not an exact science), and the bleachers around me were packed to the corners. There were also a number of fans standing throughout the game in the corners of the arena as they couldn't find a seat.  If that was 5700+ through the turnstiles, I don't know if Frost truly holds 6500.
        I believe the 6500 includes the west end bleacher section that was not pulled out. If not, I will tell you that SDSU counts admissions and accruately reports them...always. (Unlike some other places I could, but will not, mention!!!) And remember, also that the crowd in the bleachers depends upon how tight everybody is packed together...fans like to leave six inches on each side when they can do it.

Regardless, the 5719 people were the most active I've seen in quite awhile at Frost!! Let's hope we can duplicate it (both size and intensity) for this week's game (I'm picking the Hoosiers to be our visitors...they are ranked 57th in the last NCAA RPI ratings, compared to our 49th ranking.) Should be a heck of a game!

Comment

I was surprised at the announced attendance, but if you assume there were 6,400 tickets sold, only 1 out of 10 didn't make it to the game. Consider also that most tickets were purchased before the game date and time was known.

I think another 500 or so could have crammed into Frost, definetly in the student section and bleachers. There wasn't that many people standing either.

With this arguably one of the biggest games in SDSU history and they were almost all avid fans of State, the capacity should be just fine even for post season.

I state again, supply short of demand, will cause increase demand. I urge someone who has studied economics to agree or discount this statment.

Yes prices could be raised, but I think the prices are right where they should be. Look for even more ticket buying frenzy if the Hoosiers come to Frost this week.

Comment

I didn't even realize there was one section of bleachers not used, and that would account for some missing capacity.  I sat on the West end on the opposite side of the section that was unused, so basically in an identical section of seats.  If I had to guess I would say there could be close to another 100-150 seats in that one section (We had ten in our row and I would assume there are about ten rows in those bleachers) - But we were packed in pretty tight.  Taking into account that section, the unused reserve seating, and some space throughout the arena in GA, I would say 6500 is close if not a little low for estimated capacity.  For future games, I would say scrap the souvenior stand and open the seats.  There has to be somewhere else in the arena we can set up that stand.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

6,000 vs. 10,000-12,000. Hmmm?

If success follows into the future, especially on the men's side, I think the core of avid State fans will increase. The law of supply and demand will still hold true at 10,000, we'll just have a bigger base. We packed Frost in the past with alot more people, the potential is there to exceed even that. If a sold out 6,000 Frost is all we hope to expect in the future then I am dissappointed to say the least. We should expect to sell-out larger capacities in the future. Future, not next week, or next year, but in 5-10 successful years I think we can and should.

Comment

Agreed, future not now. We have to assume when people are dissapointed with capacity they are talking in terms of the present not the future. I believe this is the only game that was at so called max capacity since the transition. I just don't see capacity crowds for home games, unless it is the last game and will determine the conference standing champion. If that isn't the case, I think SDSU will have a few years to make adjustments.

Comment

Did anyone see if the first couple of rows in the wood bleachers were filled behind the student section. I know all season they weren't becasue the people couldn't see over the standing students.

Comment

They were filled, mostly with students like me who didn't get there soon enough to fit into the student section (don't worry, it won't happen again!)  seeing wasn't a problem though, we were standing too!

Comment

Yea I was there standing in line early and I sat in the third row of the student section. When We played the bison I started up in the wood bleachers but we got yelled at by the fans behind me for standing up.

Comment

It sounds like the new Chairback seats in the upper south side of the arena will be elevated so the fans can see over the student section. Maybe some added revenue in the NIT will help make this project a reality this year rather than next. I assume this will take down the capacity even further although I did hear the seats would form a bowl around to the bleachers on the end. I wonder how this is possible as it would appear this configuration would block the upper exists. Maybe someone else can paint the picture how this will look.

Comment

Why are they going to reduce capacity even more. We filled frost on Saturday. I look for our attendance vs. Iona/Indiana to hit 6000.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                            6,000 vs. 10,000-12,000. Hmmm?

If success follows into the future, especially on the men's side, I think the core of avid State fans will increase. The law of supply and demand will still hold true at 10,000, we'll just have a bigger base. We packed Frost in the past with alot more people, the potential is there to exceed even that. If a sold out 6,000 Frost is all we hope to expect in the future then I am dissappointed to say the least. We should expect to sell-out larger capacities in the future. Future, not next week, or next year, but in 5-10 successful years I think we can and should.
                            Frost will be changing more in the near future. The upper level bleachers on the south side will be replaced with seat back chairs. Both end bleaches will be replaced by bench seats like the student section. They will be placed on a platform to improve site lines. That means even less capacity. Its obvious what that means, fewer tickets, higher prices, and hopefully an increased bottom line. Frost can hold about 6200 right now but about 400 of those seats are pretty poor as far as site lines are concerned. If you want to be assured of tickets in the future you better start buying season tickets now. I don't there are any plans to replace Frost on the current "campus blueprints".
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

They better fix the upper level steps (south end) before they change anything in there. If there ever was a fire in there during a game it would be bad.

Comment

I wonder if there is any consideration in turning the old press box on the upper west side of the arena into suites?

Comment

Working...
                                X