Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDSU athletics to increase marketing efforts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU athletics to increase marketing efforts.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...31/1002/SPORTS
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Re: SDSU athletics to increase marketing efforts.

Haven't we read this story before? How many times are we going to hear about them "increasing marketing efforts" before they actually do it? I understand everything takes time, but how about if they just start doing it instead of talking about it.

Comment

At least they're talking about SDSU...getting the name out there is important in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher
        Haven't we read this story before? How many times are we going to hear about them "increasing marketing efforts" before they actually do it? I understand everything takes time, but how about if they just start doing it instead of talking about it.
        The big dollars have gone to scholarships (up to 205 from 80-something) and facilities. Scholies are budgeted at $12,000 each, so that's a significant stack of cash. SDSU did hire a marketing director (Micah Grenz) who has done everything he possibly can without spending much money. So it's not like they haven't been expanding their efforts.

Actually, if you think about it, expending money on marketing without a conference would have been very difficult and very expensive without much payoff. Now, with a conference and regular opponents to promote, it is a good time to spend some money and add staff in marketing. If you understand that everything takes time, surely you understand that we're all of three years into this thing.

When it comes to marketing, about the dumbest thing you can do is just start throwing money into advertising without the staff in place to research audiences and messages, plan campaigns, and evaluate the results. Just throwing money into advertising may please the hardcore fans who already come to your events, but it doesn't reach those potential new audiences effectively.

I'd say the hiring of a top-level administrator focused on marketing is a very timely development.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Amen Jimmy Jack, you are right on. If collegewatcher has read this story before...on this board anyway it was over the discussion of Nancy Neiber's retirement and her replacement. The department has only so much money with tremendous demands everywhere...and everybody wants their particular interest taken care of RIGHT NOW! Nancy's retirement gave the department the chance to use that money to put it into staff to tie together all the marketing efforts and move onward and upward.

Comment

Yes Jimmy Jack, I am aware of all your points, and I understand them. My point is, just do it already.

jack#1, I have heard the story in interviews over the past 3 years with various folks from Fred to Micah to many of the coaches. I have heard it talked about in terms of moving games to Sioux Falls, to the long time talk of moving games to Rapid City. I have heard about it in fundraising. I have heard about it when the USD billboards went up, and when SDSU merchandise was tough to get. I have heard it in the discussion of coaches shows and television contracts. Need more examples?

I know it takes time, and I am actually willing to wait if that is what it takes to get it right. But I would like to see actual results this time since they are supposedly making an effort again.

Comment

Yes Jimmy Jack, I am aware of all your points, and I understand them. My point is, just do it already.

jack#1, I have heard the story in interviews over the past 3 years with various folks from Fred to Micah to many of the coaches. I have heard it talked about in terms of moving games to Sioux Falls, to the long time talk of moving games to Rapid City. I have heard about it in fundraising. I have heard about it when the USD billboards went up, and when SDSU merchandise was tough to get. I have heard it in the discussion of coaches shows and television contracts. Need more examples?

I know it takes time, and I am actually willing to wait if that is what it takes to get it right. But I would like to see actual results this time since they are supposedly making an effort again.
              Stig show starting this fall.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Cool. Nice step.

Comment

It would be great if SDSU had deep pockets and could do all sorts of things.

I wonder how effective the USD Billboard signs have been since they were put in place along I-29. If they were impacting SDSU, would we not be running a deficit. Why is our athletic donor giving up from say five years ago? Maybe  the billboards have helped SDSU more than they have USD.

My point is marketing and promotion costs money. Not everything works. I dont have a clue about how SDSU should operate in this area. So I will assume a new person hired will have the right insight at this point in time to make an impact and increase the exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack

I plead ignorance on this - details on the Stig show anyone???
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

OK - just read the article. The job descpription is basically Keith Mahlum's from before his move to the Foundation to focus soley on fundraising. Hopefully they can find someone with the skills and competence to manage all of those efforts effectively.
                      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

A former ticket manager comes to mind for the position! ;D

Grow the mustache back out and he would be a lock.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll
                          [quote author=JimmyJack link=1184527092/0#6 date=1184626792]

I plead ignorance on this - details on the Stig show anyone???[/quote]

Produced by Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, modeled on the Kirk Ferentz Show (simple talk segments interspersed with highlights and features). Taped on Sunday nights. That's all I've heard.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Sorry, I obviously wasn't very concise in my point to you, collegewatcher. You may have heard it all from all of the above, but the fact has been that there is not enough administrative staff to do it all. All of our fan boards want us to add coaches to every sport, but the fact remains that the budget can't grow until the money is raised. This is not Keith Mahlum's job (athletic fundraising), but a new spot focusing on marketing the program to grow the attendance and interest in all sports. Yes, they have talked about marketing, but with the current staff tasked mainly to raise money, the marketing/season tickets/game attendance area has been stalled. The person hired to take the position will be tasked with changing that.

Comment

Where will this show be broadcast?
                              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                              X