Can Argus correct online error?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Argus correct online error?

Today’s Argus (1-15-20) has a story tracking former South Dakota high school athletes now playing D-1 football. Brian Haenchen (his duties include covering USD) is the author. I subscribe to the online version of the Argus. There’s a glaring error in the story and I hope the online version can be corrected (seems unlikely). For the summary on the seasons of former South Dakota high school athletes playing at SDSU, the group is listed under North Dakota State. Ouch.

The article is otherwise, an interesting read.
    Last edited by JackJD; 01-15-2020, 08:09 AM.

Re: Can Argus correct online error?

Why does it seem unlikely that the online version can be corrected?
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Also, I went and found the article and it's already fixed.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sp...el/4467211002/
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Why does it seem unlikely that the online version can be corrected?
        My online subscription is for a pdf of the newspaper. I just checked and the pdf copy of today's Argus that I access going through the internet, has not been corrected. While it may be correctable from a technology point of view, I assume it would require a scan to pdf of either the entire paper with the page corrected, or at least a scan of the corrected page which is then substituted in place of the incorrect page. Too much time and effort for an error that will appear obvious to those who follow SDSU football.

If one checks the online version going through the Argus website, the article is correct. The website version shows the story was first published yesterday at 2:15 pm and it shows it was "updated" at 4:30 p.m. yesterday.

I just checked the pdf edition that subscribers receive -- error is still there. That suggests to me that the print edition has the error...although I do not know if the Argus has more than one run of the print edition (for example, many newspapers have a first run which goes out for rural delivery, mail etc., and one or more subsequent print runs for local delivery. In those cases, there can be differences between an early edition and a later edition with the differences being corrections but also may include breaking news or updated news).

First-world problems.

Comment

My online subscription has the bogus report.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The version of the paper that I see as an online subscriber has not been fixed, either. It probably can't be fixed because it's a replication of the paper edition. That's unfortunate because, in reality, SDSU has more players from South Dakota than all of the other schools combined. The Argus should do an entirely new story on the subject.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
            X