Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruits

Originally posted by KSjack View Post
    Are we in the being successful crowd or making coaches crowd? I wanna be successful. If that means letting kids go back to the farm then that’s what it means. If you are a 3 time state champ why aren’t they going Fargo? I want proven prospects that have had national success then grabbing a handful of non proven prospects PRAYING that 1 or 2 pans out. Just because they might take lower scholarships doesn’t change the time commitments. Take the time to recruit proven prospects!! I don’t get why this is even a question. Once the quality of South Dakota high school wrestling rises then take the chances. I’m not being a downer either as I hope by the time my nephew makes high school they are at the level of quality wrestling!! Also I know numerous state champs/placer who never never wrestled collegiately who are GREAT head coaches. Wrestling in college has nothing to do with that! I myself wrestled juco 1 year and now a head coach of a youth club. Do I think I’m less bc I didn’t wrestle d1-d3? No, being a wrestling coach is all about helping the kids love the sport as they learn about it! I know guys that only wrestled jv in high school and are amazing youth coaches. I’d rather flame out on a 1 time state champs from a respected state who wrestled national tournaments then a 3x state champ who didn’t regardless of state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am not arguing that we should fill to upper half of out depth-chart with all local guy, that would be stupid. But we aren't going to get 40 Fargo all-Americans in the room. When we can get a top flight guy from South Dakota, I think that we should try to do that (Maybe we get a guy like Kellyn March over a guy like Caleb Gross). That's not always possible and where somebody is from shouldn't move the needle tremendously here. But, more importantly, when we're filling out the bottom half of our depth chart with projects and depth guys it make a lot of sense to shop local. I have no problem with guys like Copestick, Lakeman, Rucklos and Mcconville, but why not take a look at the Turman brothers, Michael Lusk, Dante Colecheski, or Logan Warzecha. There would be no drop off in talent, it would help build the sport in the state and they are almost certainly cheaper. I just googled him, and it looks like Michael Lusk is actually in Brookings going to school anyway. He's a three time state champ, four time finalist. Why not give this guy a phone call, buy him some text books and get him in the room rather than trying to convince Dalton Lakeman to move 2,000 miles away from home?

I live on the East coast and I'm from Minnesota; I have never even seen a SD high school match in person but I see a lot of value in investing in the betterment of South Dakota high school wrestling. The reason that Iowa is such fertile recruiting ground is the vast number of successful college wrestlers that have turned around and given back to the community. They've helped out at high schools, put on clinics, started freco clubs and camps. South Dakota have comparable interest in wrestling to Iowa. They have a quarter of the population, but they also have a quarter of the collegiate wrestling opportunities. If we build the infrastructure, we can have comparable results over time.

There are tons of youth coaches that do great work and don't know the finer points of a cross-wrist tilt, but the higher level that you coach, the more that you need to know and, outside of Legends of Gold, there aren't a ton of places that you can go to learn very high-level technique in state That's why SoDak has so many wrestlers but so few great wrestlers. J Rob's wrestlers transformed Minnesota high school wrestling when he was there, Ben and Max Askren are doing the same in Wisconsin right now. It may take a while for this to bare fruit, but it will and they won't be worse for having done it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
      I am not arguing that we should fill to upper half of out depth-chart with all local guy, that would be stupid. But we aren't going to get 40 Fargo all-Americans in the room. When we can get a top flight guy from South Dakota, I think that we should try to do that (Maybe we get a guy like Kellyn March over a guy like Caleb Gross). That's not always possible and where somebody is from shouldn't move the needle tremendously here. But, more importantly, when we're filling out the bottom half of our depth chart with projects and depth guys it make a lot of sense to shop local. I have no problem with guys like Copestick, Lakeman, Rucklos and Mcconville, but why not take a look at the Turman brothers, Michael Lusk, Dante Colecheski, or Logan Warzecha. There would be no drop off in talent, it would help build the sport in the state and they are almost certainly cheaper. I just googled him, and it looks like Michael Lusk is actually in Brookings going to school anyway. He's a three time state champ, four time finalist. Why not give this guy a phone call, buy him some text books and get him in the room rather than trying to convince Dalton Lakeman to move 2,000 miles away from home?

I live on the East coast and I'm from Minnesota; I have never even seen a SD high school match in person but I see a lot of value in investing in the betterment of South Dakota high school wrestling. The reason that Iowa is such fertile recruiting ground is the vast number of successful college wrestlers that have turned around and given back to the community. They've helped out at high schools, put on clinics, started freco clubs and camps. South Dakota have comparable interest in wrestling to Iowa. They have a quarter of the population, but they also have a quarter of the collegiate wrestling opportunities. If we build the infrastructure, we can have comparable results over time.

There are tons of youth coaches that do great work and don't know the finer points of a cross-wrist tilt, but the higher level that you coach, the more that you need to know and, outside of Legends of Gold, there aren't a ton of places that you can go to learn very high-level technique in state That's why SoDak has so many wrestlers but so few great wrestlers. J Rob's wrestlers transformed Minnesota high school wrestling when he was there, Ben and Max Askren are doing the same in Wisconsin right now. It may take a while for this to bare fruit, but it will and they won't be worse for having done it.
      Do you know that Michael Lusk wants to wrestle collegiately?

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
        Kansas wrestling sucks compared to SD. Lol. Like I stated before, we have had as many AA's from SD.

Maybe lay off the sauce when posting KSJack.
        Bruh.. I grew up and wrestled in Minnesota. Went to school at SDSU. Moved to Kansas for a job. I agree wresting blows in kansas which is why I never once said recruit it. But, Kansas did just have a cadet world team member. When was South Dakota’s last one? I’ll wait.

Comment

I was talking to Terry Pack (Legends of Gold) the other day. He was telling me California has only 1 HS class of wrestling so even though a kid from California (eg Dalton Lakman) isn’t a state champion he could very well end up being a contributor in college.

Comment

Originally posted by KSjack View Post
            Bruh.. I grew up and wrestled in Minnesota. Went to school at SDSU. Moved to Kansas for a job. I agree wresting blows in kansas which is why I never once said recruit it. But, Kansas did just have a cadet world team member. When was South Dakota’s last one? I’ll wait.

Hutmacher.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
              Hutmacher.
              What team did he make? He was a Fargo champ but never wrestled for a cadet or junior team I believe.

Comment

Recruits

Hutmacher is mostly irrelevant to this conversation tbh. Way to tough to turn down a football scholarship to Nebraska
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                  Hutmacher is irrelevant

Witness is correct on this.

Comment

I wish every state champ from SD wrestled in national freestyle tournaments and especially Fargo. Rotert got the HS ranking he did just by showing up in Fargo

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      Witness is correct on this.
                      I accidentally hit post before explaining why tbh but Nash was always going to play football in college. Major D1 scholarship, better chance after college to be successful, etc.

Comment

Let's keep to discussing posts, not posters please.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          I accidentally hit post before explaining why tbh but Nash was always going to play football in college. Major D1 scholarship, better chance after college to be successful, etc.
                          Agree, was just using Hutmacher as an example of a good SD high school wrestler.

I thought he made the Cadet team, but didn't go (KSJack is may be right that he didn't make the team).

No one is saying to throw scholarship money at projects. Just keep the guys in state that can contribute, Voorhees will do well for WY.

Comment

Yes, California presents a unique recruiting landscape and measuring the quality of a wrestler by state placing is not always the best way to do it. JJ Everard was an example of someone who couldn't rise to the top in California but was a very good wrestler in college. It is a bit of a gamble though. Nobody from California is going to South Dakota for free and, if they don't work out, you could have a guy who was an unknown commodity out of high school sitting on scholarship for five year. You can save that money by investing and local wrestlers. Even if they're bad, they can still bring fans to the meets, spread the culture, and help to build relationships with future boosters.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              Do you know that Michael Lusk wants to wrestle collegiately?
                              Never met the guy. Good story though, right?

Comment

Anybody know how many if any of our wrestlers are on full scholarship ?

Comment

Working...
                                X