Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recruits

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Dakota Galt. Went to Arizona State is now at UMary.
    Is that someone we'd consider a miss?
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
      Considering he's at Mary now, I'd say no.

Comment

No. But it seems like Wombat wants all SD kids to come to SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
          I'm just going off of active rosters, so that should give an idea of wrestlers who graduated high school in the last 4 or 5 years.

A trend that I'm seeing is that outside of a couple, most SD wrestling talent is either going to SDSU, D2 or not wrestling in college. Outside of the two I found wrestling for NDSU and Nebraska, they just aren't out there. Makes me wonder if there is more of a need for coaching some of these kids in national tourneys during the summer. Our local high school in Kearney, NE has been sending top talent to Fargo Nationals for a number of years. Only one of those kids is at a D! program and the rest are at D2. Phillip Moomey is a kid I tried to get to Brookings, but he's at Cornell and doing well. He won Fargo Nationals and represented the US at an international tourney because of his exposure at Fargo. He'd likely be wrestling D2 if it were not for that exposure. Maybe we need more kids from SD competing at that level.

Wombat - you may be on to something. Not specifically that Hahn's staff needs to work SD better, but that the talent in the state is not being challenged and exposed to more by not competing nationally.
          Or it could be the talent just hasn't been there the last few years.

I also don't really like leveling criticism to a coaching staff when it comes to recruiting if they are successful. Likely no one on this board has a true understanding what is going on with recruiting within the program. If they do they are so connected to program they wouldn't dare divulge that information here. At the end of the day there are sooooo many variables involved in the process (academics, desire to wrestle at this level, maybe they hate SDSU, team needs, etc.) that it's impossible to be critical of a successful program.

I've said this before, but I went to high school with a two-time state champion. He absolutely could have wrestled collegiately, but he literally had no desire to wrestle after high school. He was completely burned out. A lot of these kids have been wrestling since they were 5.

Comment

Wombat - I'll ask my question again...who do you think this staff, or the staff before them, missed on in SD the last five years when SDSU wrestling has been relevant at the D1 level and had a chance to recruit talent? Who is having success elsewhere (as a starter, backup, etc.) that should be at SDSU if the staff would have put a little effort into SD as you referenced?
            Dan Stiebral, Tyler Waterson, and now Cooper Voorhees and Kylen March would be some DI people off the top of my head that would fit the bill. Colby Kost, Clayton Walstrom, Wyatt Turnquist, Tanner Brengle, Brandon Carroll, and Lincoln Turman have done well at the DII level and would be useful to have in the room.

More impressive to me is the list of people who didn't go on to wrestle who we possible could have snagged: Alex Aesoph, Chase Sigdestad, Barrett Wren, Cooper Baloun, William Turman, Spencer Stockman, Michael Lusk, Trey Hage, Donte Colicheski, Logan Warzecha, Andrew Sorenson, Peyton Smith, Dylan Hanisch, Eddie Miller, Spencer Sarringer, John Lemer, and Ryley Ostbye are some names that I came up with though I haven't done a ton of research on all of them.

Comment

No. But it seems like Wombat wants all SD kids to come to SDSU.
              I'd posted a couple of times here and on theguillotine that I was not high on Galt or Casperson coming out of high school and was more than happy to see them go somewhere else. For the record my hope here is >9 SD wrestlers on the roster. I think maybe 12-18 is a good number for a 40 person roster. Hopefully a couple can make the starting line-up

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
                I'd posted a couple of times here and on theguillotine that I was not high on Galt or Casperson coming out of high school and was more than happy to see them go somewhere else. For the record my hope here is >9 SD wrestlers on the roster. I think maybe 12-18 is a good number for a 40 person roster. Hopefully a couple can make the starting line-up
                So a “no” on Casperson who was recruited by multiple Div I programs, but a “yes” on some wrestlers who decided not to wrestle in college?

Comment

I'm sure the previous staff would have liked to had Casperson in their room but there is a reason Casperson went out west and now has come back to SDSU. Someone posted on another board that Casperson was only a one timer. Well technically yes, he was a shoe in his senior year but bumped up to wrestle Hutmacher in one of the best matches I've seen at a state tournament. If I remember correctly his Soph year he got caught in the first match (he beats that kid 99/100) and battled back through wrestle-backs for third. Should / Coulda / Woulda been a three timer. I would take him in my room any day.

Comment

Frustratingly enough, I've changed my mind on this. I took some time to look at some past rosters and some rosters from other teams and 9 South Dakotans is actually pretty good when you compare it to NDSU's 4 North Dakotans or Wyoming's 5 *insert whatever you call someone from Wyoming*. I'm still bummed about not having any native starters and I still think March and Voorhees were bad misses for them. Some day I hope they're able to build wrestling in the state to where it makes sense to keep more of these guys home and I hope something is done to keep some of the better South Dakotans wrestling. I do think that it makes sense to have local wrestlers in the room for the added value that they produce, but nine isn't awful. It's actually the most they've had since 2016.

Comment

So a “no” on Casperson who was recruited by multiple Div I programs, but a “yes” on some wrestlers who decided not to wrestle in college?
                      Correct. I don't think he has much upside. I once predicted that Schoon would end up being the better wrestler in the end. I'm excited to see if I'm right. Of course, I didn't like Connor Brown coming out of highschool either, so we'll see how he does.

Comment

Frustratingly enough, I've changed my mind on this. I took some time to look at some past rosters and some rosters from other teams and 9 South Dakotans is actually pretty good when you compare it to NDSU's 4 North Dakotans or Wyoming's 5 *insert whatever you call someone from Wyoming*. I'm still bummed about not having any native starters and I still think March and Voorhees were bad misses for them. Some day I hope they're able to build wrestling in the state to where it makes sense to keep more of these guys home and I hope something is done to keep some of the better South Dakotans wrestling. I do think that it makes sense to have local wrestlers in the room for the added value that they produce, but nine isn't awful. It's actually the most they've had since 2016.
                        The word you are looking to insert for Wyoming is hicks.....I will show myself the door.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I said it about 50 posts ago (nice banter BTW) but state lines in college recruiting are simply not a big factor in the grand scheme of things. Someone mentioned "icing on the cake" and I think if you polled coaches on what their take is on getting a kid to commit and he's from your home state, it's just that - "icing on the cake". Not a deal breaker by any means and when you live in a state with less than one million people (like SD), you simply can't remain competitive if you focus on that as a college coach.

Comment

This has been a great discussion! We are always going to miss on some recruits and hit hurts even more when they are local. We've done that in every sport and we've had lots of discussion on the football board. I also think we need to consider our home state to be a little bit bigger than just the state border. If you look at the number of quality recruits from southern Minnesota, northwest Iowa and even portions of Nebraska, those kids are local.

Comment

Brandon Valley wrestles Pierre at BV tonight @ 6pm. If you are close come watch the Schunkes and Klinkhammer. There is also a set of freshman twins that are getting some of my more savvy wrestling fans excited. Stick around afterwards and watch the BV/ Harrisburg girls BB game. SDSU has offered BV freshman Hilary Behrens prior to the start of the season.
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Side note since the Wombat mentioned Connor Brown he is listed under the roster for Mizzou at 133.

Comment

Working...
                                X