Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruits

I enjoy watching wrestling, but am far from knowledgable. I saw the Dynamite Dozen listed in the Argus recently and was wondering if we have a shot at any of these guys. I know some are seniors and are committed elsewhere and for various sports. How about the others?

DYNAMITE DOZEN: 1, Nash Hutmacher, CHA; 2, Lucus Anglin, VER; 3, Damion Schunke, BV; 4, Eli Kadoun, SFR; 5, Isaac Klinkhammer, BV; 6, Brenden Salfrank, AC; 7, Cooper Voorhees, RCS; 8, Riley Hollingshead, SFR; 9, Wyatt Jungclaus, RCC; 10, Ty Althoff, WAT; 11, Cael Larson, RCC; 12, Owen Warren, YNK.
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Re: Recruits

Lucas Anglin signed with SDSU.
    https://gojacks.com/news/2019/11/25/...path=wrestling

This list doesn’t include Kellyn March? March is going to NDSU.

*above list is the Class A Dynamite Dozen n

Comment

Well Nash is going to Neb for Football, so he's out.

Comment

1. Hutmacher is committed to Nebraska for football
        2. Anglin is committed to SDSU
        3. Schunke is a very good prospect for us, he also has a very talented bigger little brother in eight grade who is going to be very good. We're going to have to compete nationally to get him.
        4. Kadoun is good but not a blue chipper, I would like to get him, but he's not worth investing a lot of money in.
        5. Klinkhammer has gone back and forth with Kadoun this year. I don't think he's a must get, but he might be good to bring in.
        6. Salfrank is good, but we don't need any more little guys
        7. Voorhes could be a very good project for the Jacks. I would love to see them bring him in. I like his style and he's shown good study improvement over the past few year. I think we can make him into something if we bring him in.
        8. Holdingshead looks to be a good DII or DIII prospect, he would be a depth guy for us at a weight were we don't need him.
        9. Jungclaus actually has few loses this year. I went down the rabbit hole and came up with a guy named Garrett Jangula out of Napolean, ND who won a bracket that Jungclaus was in at the rotary. This kid is good and I would love to see the Jacks go after Jangula.
        10. Althoff is another good DII or DIII guy who may not do well in the SDSU room.
        11. Larson is fine, but not DI material and we have plenty of 125 pounders
        12. Warren is someone to watch, you don't see a lot of freshman state champions at 195. I expect he'll be very good by the time he graduates. He doesn't map onto the Jacks line-up very well with Trenary's anticipated graduation, but he could turn out to be a must-get recruit by the time he graduates.

I division B I have Boots Crownover, Sam Kruger, Brandon Sehr, Kaden Keiser, and Mccoy Peterson on my list of prospective recruits. I see the Peterson hasn't competed this year. I know that he forfeited out of the state tournament last year, does anybody know what happened to him?

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
          1. Hutmacher is committed to Nebraska for football
          2. Anglin is committed to SDSU
          3. Schunke is a very good prospect for us, he also has a very talented bigger little brother in eight grade who is going to be very good. We're going to have to compete nationally to get him.
          4. Kadoun is good but not a blue chipper, I would like to get him, but he's not worth investing a lot of money in.
          5. Klinkhammer has gone back and forth with Kadoun this year. I don't think he's a must get, but he might be good to bring in.
          6. Salfrank is good, but we don't need any more little guys
          7. Voorhes could be a very good project for the Jacks. I would love to see them bring him in. I like his style and he's shown good study improvement over the past few year. I think we can make him into something if we bring him in.
          8. Holdingshead looks to be a good DII or DIII prospect, he would be a depth guy for us at a weight were we don't need him.
          9. Jungclaus actually has few loses this year. I went down the rabbit hole and came up with a guy named Garrett Jangula out of Napolean, ND who won a bracket that Jungclaus was in at the rotary. This kid is good and I would love to see the Jacks go after Jangula.
          10. Althoff is another good DII or DIII guy who may not do well in the SDSU room.
          11. Larson is fine, but not DI material and we have plenty of 125 pounders
          12. Warren is someone to watch, you don't see a lot of freshman state champions at 195. I expect he'll be very good by the time he graduates. He doesn't map onto the Jacks line-up very well with Trenary's anticipated graduation, but he could turn out to be a must-get recruit by the time he graduates.

I division B I have Boots Crownover, Sam Kruger, Brandon Sehr, Kaden Keiser, and Mccoy Peterson on my list of prospective recruits. I see the Peterson hasn't competed this year. I know that he forfeited out of the state tournament last year, does anybody know what happened to him?
          Voorhees would be a great get.

Peterson has some health issues from football, likely won't wrestle this year. Last year at state, he had an illness.

Comment

I think Crownover has committed to playing FB at USD.

Comment

I just saw that Cooper Vorhees signed to wrestle at Wyoming.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Althoff is signed to wrestle at Northern

Comment

Voorhees was one we needed to keep in state.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                    Voorhees was one we needed to keep in state.
                    For depth reasons, I'd agree. However, we have what looks to be some young starters around the 165 weight class where Voorhees probably projects and the staff maybe felt they had priority for other scholarship athletes in this class elsewhere in the lineup. It will be interesting to see if Cade Devos or Tanner Cook land at that class next year, or if Devos can remain at 157 or Cook at 165. Both are fairly big for their current weight classes (157 and 165).

You can never have too much depth, so keeping Voorhees would have been great. Not sure if he was a priority for the staff or not, or if he was offered.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                      I just saw that Cooper Vorhees signed to wrestle at Wyoming.
                      That's too bad. Where did you see this? I haven't been able to find anything on it. I don't think he was a must get. He would have been a project and he didn't have a clear path into the line-up. That said, I feel like there was about a %20 chance the this staff could make him into an All American with his talents and attitude. It doesn't hurt as much a losing March, but it doesn't feel particularly good.

Comment

Most of the problem that I have with missing on Voorhees is not being able to get South Dakota kids into the line-up, or even in the room. I would love for local wrestlers to be able to look at the wrestlers that they put out on Friday nights and see people who they saw wrestle when they were young and know that they could do it to. Unless Schoon really works out or Mueller gets healthy, we're not going to have any local wrestler in the starting line-up for quite a while. There's nothing wrong with Minnesota or Iowa wrestlers but having nine South Dakota wrestlers in the room and none in the starting line-up when South Dakota produces more wrestlers per capita than any other state is something that I would classify as a problem. At this point, I'm hoping that they bring in Kadoun even though I don't think that he will ever contribute.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
                          Most of the problem that I have with missing on Voorhees is not being able to get South Dakota kids into the line-up, or even in the room. I would love for local wrestlers to be able to look at the wrestlers that they put out on Friday nights and see people who they saw wrestle when they were young and know that they could do it to. Unless Schoon really works out or Mueller gets healthy, we're not going to have any local wrestler in the starting line-up for quite a while. There's nothing wrong with Minnesota or Iowa wrestlers but having nine South Dakota wrestlers in the room and none in the starting line-up when South Dakota produces more wrestlers per capita than any other state is something that I would classify as a problem. At this point, I'm hoping that they bring in Kadoun even though I don't think that he will ever contribute.
                          As with other sports the kids from MN and IA (or name nearly any other state) are typically more battled tested and advanced once they get to college. As much as you want SD kids to be contributors they simply need to beat the other kids on the roster to make the starting line-up. High school competition in other states is far superior than in SD which puts our SD athletes (especially in male sports) at a pretty big disadvantage when it comes to preparing for national junior events and college. SD may produce more wrestlers per capita but quality trumps quantity nearly every time. So I wouldn't call it a problem, our current SD athletes just aren't good enough despite there being 9 of them on the roster.

Comment

Partly, but the issue is that Bono and Hahn haven't always kept the best in state. I think Voorhees will be better than March in time.

We need to be aggressive in keeping the top kids in state. I don't think that has been the case since Rotert and the Kocers were here. We've had just as many AA's from SD as any other state, we need to get those kids to Brookings when they come along.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              As with other sports the kids from MN and IA (or name nearly any other state) are typically more battled tested and advanced once they get to college. As much as you want SD kids to be contributors they simply need to beat the other kids on the roster to make the starting line-up. High school competition in other states is far superior than in SD which puts our SD athletes (especially in male sports) at a pretty big disadvantage when it comes to preparing for national junior events and college. SD may produce more wrestlers per capita but quality trumps quantity nearly every time. So I wouldn't call it a problem, our current SD athletes just aren't good enough despite there being 9 of them on the roster.
                              I wasn't saying that there were nine South Dakotans on the roster to say that a small percentage of them are good. I was saying that to say that there should be a lot more. 9/37 from your own state is very low. I think that the staff needs to be intentional about bringing in nationally relevant guys like March and Hutmacher who would be favored to crack the line-up while also taking some more flyers like Schoon and Voorhees who can be good projects or provide depth. Both types of recruits exist in South Dakota, we just have to be intentional about going after them. To their credit, Schoon and, Lamer were smart recruits from South Dakota, but there are more out there to be had. If they're going to have 37 people on a roster, it's worth their time to have some local guys who can help to grow wrestling in the state.

Comment

Working...
                              X