Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Denver Pioneers @ Magness Arena 8pm

Originally posted by BisonBohl View Post
    I didn't get to watch the game but I did listen to Coach Billups post game presser. For those that saw the game, thoughts on his comments??? Came off like sour grapes to me. Fouls and free throws attempted seemed to be pretty even. He commented about SDSU being a 3 point shooting team but his own team shot double the 3s the jacks did... When he was hired by Denver I thought he could bring some juice and excitement to that program....looks like I was wrong.

In my opinion, Denver has regressed under Billups. Under the previous coach they won a lot of games but they ran the Princeton offense which will put you to sleep watching it and that is probably why he was shown the door. They just aren't very good at almost all phases. They started well against us and we were sluggish. Fortunately, we were very good in the second half.

Any road win is a good win in this league, even if it is the bottom team in the conference.

Denver's freshmen center looks like he has some real promise. He is from Minneapolis. Curious if we were recruiting him. If he develops he will be a load the next few years.

Good win for the Jacks and didn't appear to be any injuries. On to the next!

GBGBGJ!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Hopefully Billups gets a chance to look at game information so that he does not sound so silly in his next post game interview. He is likely going to have more nights like last night during the season. He seems to have some players that he is not getting coached up. This guy is likely one of the higher paid coaches in the Summit if not the highest paid. Denver AD must know hockey or he would be gone next year too.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

How many 3s do we attempt per game this year compared to last year? He must not have looked at we only had 9 attempts. Previous years we would make atleast 9 a game. Our offense works from inside out and wilson our best player is a post so he clearly doesnt do much scouting to prepare for a game. I dont know how credentials to coach college but I dont see him sticking around regardless who his brother is. He probably thinks daum is still on the team and tj is the coach.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          How many 3s do we attempt per game this year compared to last year? He must not have looked at we only had 9 attempts. Previous years we would make atleast 9 a game. Our offense works from inside out and wilson our best player is a post so he clearly doesnt do much scouting to prepare for a game. I dont know how credentials to coach college but I dont see him sticking around regardless who his brother is. He probably thinks daum is still on the team and tj is the coach.
          2019-20: Averaging 7.2 3pt makes on 22 attempts.
          2018-19: Averaging 9.9 3pt makes on 24 attempts.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            HAHAHAHHAHA. Wow. Sour grapes is right. The officiating was NOT one-sided, their big guys were flopping like wet noodles last night. Also, they were called for 3 more fouls than us that's not one-side especially where we got our points and were they took their shots from. You generally don't pick up a lot of foul calls on three pointers.

And the fact he thinks we are a three point shooting team......he might want to criticize his scouting department. We've been murdering teams down low this year.
            This coach was a way off. Officiating was bad the opposite way. We got called for some head-scratching could, especially in the first. They got the benefit of questionable officiating.

Billups just looks lost during the game. He stands on the sideline with a blank look on his face. He literally appears to do zero coaching during the game. Considering he said we are a 3-point shooting team, I question if he scouted is this year at all. He’s a joke of a coach in my opinion.
            Last edited by JackAttack44; 01-09-2020, 08:57 PM. Reason: I’m dumb ��

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              2019-20: Averaging 7.2 3pt makes on 22 attempts.
              2018-19: Averaging 9.9 3pt makes on 24 attempts.
              Thanks. I wouldn't have guessed we attempt that many attempts. Watching the highlights I know it's not the whole game but first half highlights they got hot and worked for tough rebounds and putbacks. 2nd half they looked a step slower and our effort looked sharper. Just my thoughts though.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

You can question Denver's strategy of not doubling the posts but I don't think it's the last time we'll see it this year. I think it's less an indictment on Billups coaching and more of a testament to the Jacks being a tough team to game plan against right now. If you double Wilson, you are going to open up lanes for cutters or an open three for Freidel, Wingett, or Arians. Ask Oral Roberts and Western Illinois how that worked out. If you play Wilson straight up, he is probably going to beat you more times than not. A lot of teams may choose the latter strategy as you are at least limiting the damage the other do from the outside, but I think it poses problems either way. Credit to Hendo for the system he has out together and the challenges it poses to the defense.

Comment

Originally posted by blue? View Post
                  You can question Denver's strategy of not doubling the posts but I don't think it's the last time we'll see it this year. I think it's less an indictment on Billups coaching and more of a testament to the Jacks being a tough team to game plan against right now. If you double Wilson, you are going to open up lanes for cutters or an open three for Freidel, Wingett, or Arians. Ask Oral Roberts and Western Illinois how that worked out. If you play Wilson straight up, he is probably going to beat you more times than not. A lot of teams may choose the latter strategy as you are at least limiting the damage the other do from the outside, but I think it poses problems either way. Credit to Hendo for the system he has out together and the challenges it poses to the defense.
                  I agree, and it helps that both Wilson and Dentlinger are good passers too. We keep progressing and the Jacks will be a tough team to beat come tourney time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    I agree, and it helps that both Wilson and Dentlinger are good passers too. We keep progressing and the Jacks will be a tough team to beat come tourney time.
                    Had a chance to talk to Henderson for a bit at the women's game last night. You could tell he's really excited about this team. Made the comment there is something special about how close the group is. That really shows on the court with the unselfish play we are seeing.

Sounds like Key will be out again Saturday for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BisonBohl View Post
                      I didn't get to watch the game but I did listen to Coach Billups post game presser. For those that saw the game, thoughts on his comments??? Came off like sour grapes to me. Fouls and free throws attempted seemed to be pretty even. He commented about SDSU being a 3 point shooting team but his own team shot double the 3s the jacks did... When he was hired by Denver I thought he could bring some juice and excitement to that program....looks like I was wrong.

Comment

We played hard and won the first half (ok, fine so far, agree with that) but unfortunately, that doesn't show up in the stats (huh? Ever hear of a box score?) I just listened to the clip, I might be piling on the coach a little here, but that comment struck me as being a little humorous.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          For a team that many thought was just patched together in a panic after the TJ dominoes fell, it's pretty remarkable how well the individual skill sets on this team complement each other. As the young guys get more acclimated to this level and the guys keep settling into their individual roles that's only going to improve.

While there were many parts of the Denver game that were frustrating, there were also some things in the second half that make me even more optimistic as the team moves forward. Scheierman continued to progress and show flashes of a someone who can affect the game in multiple ways. Even though Freidel didn't have a huge scoring line, he was aggressive towards the basket and continues to evolve into a player maker who wants the ball when the team needs a basket. The defense got stops when they needed them. Yes the first half wasn't good, but as has been the case with most the games this year, there was much more to be optimistic about from this game than the opposite.

Comment

Coach Billups comes off as someone who was upset with the home loss, and I agree with other posters... somewhat uninformed with his opponent?
                            -This Jackrabbit team has attacked from the inside out... all season. If he was just going off the previous two games stats (Western and Oral), then yeah... we're still a 3 point shooting team. But how did those three's come? Off of kick outs from the posts.

Blaming the fouls is asinine, as the fouls were close...and as other mentioned, Denver got the benefit more often than not...especially in the 1st half.

Also something to note... he went out of his way to blame a kid? Paraphrasing but "We had a conversation in the timeout, and things fell apart from there"... sounds like he is very frustrated, and like there are some players who aren't agreeing with him.

I agree that he is gone after this year. Their previous coach was excellent. They weren't an "exciting" team, but they ran that matchup zone incredibly well, and could drive you crazy with that offense.

Comment

Coach Billups interview is all that I wouldn't want my coach to do in a post game interview. He misjudging of his opponent become obvious, he blamed the refs for the loss and then talked about team problems that occurred during a time out. I would be worried if I was a fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X