Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Denver Pioneers @ Magness Arena 8pm

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    Great to get a road win. Particularly with a young team, with two injured Guards.

Jeez, some of us are harsh on these guys... I remember a game going to OT in Denver just a couple years ago, and that was when we were conference favorites, with a lot of returnees.

NO Road games in conference are easy. Even against struggling teams. Denver's record is poor, but they've been in a lot of games.

Fort Wayne will not be a gimmee, either.

Excellent win for these guys.
    You're right. Road games are tough, period.

Denver is young but they seem to have some nice pieces to work with. Their big guy Jones is a freshman at 6'-10" and athletic. He could develop into a very good player.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      They played heavy minutes because of our injury situation. The season averages aren't anywhere near that. We do however need Dillon to get to a point where he can give 5-10 minutes per game. If that happens we suddenly have a pretty deep team.
      Agree... I would like to See Allou playing around 8 minutes a game. 4 to 5 minutes a half, is all he needs.

They have at times (not as much lately...with Key out) Gone with 1 big (Matt or Douglas) and used Wingett/Scheierman together... both 6'7".

But I agree it would be ideal to give some minutes to him. Plus, he's not all bad out there... he just fouls alot! More time and experience will help with that.

Comment

Really frustrating that the Summit League doesn't have all their conference games on ESPN3 or ESPN+. Didn't check during the day but planned my evening around watching last nights game. I follow Coach Nagy and his staff at Wright State pretty closely and all Horizon Games are on the ESPN networks and that league is atrocious with only 1 compelling rivalry vs the Dakota Rivalries+Omaha. If that league has an ESPN deal, so should the Summit, especially with the success and notoriety of the League Tournament in SF

For those who did see the game, does Denver just not have an interior presence? For a team that averages 22 3pt FGA Per game we only attempted 9 3's last night. Can't complain though seeing Doug dominate another game. JUCO's of his talent always go P5/Big East, we got a steal in him! Bench Depth, my guess Hendo would have normally gone deeper but with the game being tighter than expected he most likely decided to go with the guys he trusts the most. Definitely agree with a previous post about Alou getting 8-10 minutes a game. Would hate to see a repeat of last year where we gassed out and laid a major egg in the SLT due to playing starters 35+ Min/gm.

Comment

Friedel's minutes have to get down to 30 minutes a game or under. As a freshman he will be toast in March. Dentlinger is fine at 32/game. Wilson needs to be around there as well, he is in good shape so not too concerned about him.

Comment

I didn't get to watch the game but I did listen to Coach Billups post game presser. For those that saw the game, thoughts on his comments??? Came off like sour grapes to me. Fouls and free throws attempted seemed to be pretty even. He commented about SDSU being a 3 point shooting team but his own team shot double the 3s the jacks did... When he was hired by Denver I thought he could bring some juice and excitement to that program....looks like I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
              Friedel's minutes have to get down to 30 minutes a game or under. As a freshman he will be toast in March. Dentlinger is fine at 32/game. Wilson needs to be around there as well, he is in good shape so not too concerned about him.
              It's hard to scrutinize the current rotation much with Key and Buchanan out. A healthy Key is going to be getting 30+ most nights and they have to come from somewhere. It's easy to say "that was just Denver - of course we should win" and forget that our senior PG is on the bench while a team of 90% freshman and sophomores get the work done on the road. Just look at USD - a team and fanbase that puts the blame for their awful last month on the fact that their PG was hurt (and he's even been back the last few games). Any games we win with those two out should be appreciated - especially on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by BisonBohl View Post
                I didn't get to watch the game but I did listen to Coach Billups post game presser. For those that saw the game, thoughts on his comments??? Came off like sour grapes to me. Fouls and free throws attempted seemed to be pretty even. He commented about SDSU being a 3 point shooting team but his own team shot double the 3s the jacks did... When he was hired by Denver I thought he could bring some juice and excitement to that program....looks like I was wrong.

HAHAHAHHAHA. Wow. Sour grapes is right. The officiating was NOT one-sided, their big guys were flopping like wet noodles last night. Also, they were called for 3 more fouls than us that's not one-side especially where we got our points and were they took their shots from. You generally don't pick up a lot of foul calls on three pointers.

And the fact he thinks we are a three point shooting team......he might want to criticize his scouting department. We've been murdering teams down low this year.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                  For the season Freidel is at 25.1.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                    For those who did see the game, does Denver just not have an interior presence?
                    They have some intriguing pieces down low but they are all pretty young.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
                      Really frustrating that the Summit League doesn't have all their conference games on ESPN3 or ESPN+. Didn't check during the day but planned my evening around watching last nights game. I follow Coach Nagy and his staff at Wright State pretty closely and all Horizon Games are on the ESPN networks and that league is atrocious with only 1 compelling rivalry vs the Dakota Rivalries+Omaha. If that league has an ESPN deal, so should the Summit, especially with the success and notoriety of the League Tournament in SF

For those who did see the game, does Denver just not have an interior presence? For a team that averages 22 3pt FGA Per game we only attempted 9 3's last night. Can't complain though seeing Doug dominate another game. JUCO's of his talent always go P5/Big East, we got a steal in him! Bench Depth, my guess Hendo would have normally gone deeper but with the game being tighter than expected he most likely decided to go with the guys he trusts the most. Definitely agree with a previous post about Alou getting 8-10 minutes a game. Would hate to see a repeat of last year where we gassed out and laid a major egg in the SLT due to playing starters 35+ Min/gm.
                      Hendo said on the postgame radio interview that he intends to go deeper than 7 in the future, but when things got rolling in the second half he didn't want to run the risk of stopping the momentum.

Comment

Wow. Denver shoots terribly and defends inconsistently, but their coach blames the loss on poor officiating. I'll be surprised if he's back on the job next season.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          Wow. Denver shoots terribly and defends inconsistently, but their coach blames the loss on poor officiating. I'll be surprised if he's back on the job next season.
                          A good question to him would have been " did the officiating suddenly change with 15 minutes left in the game ? "

Comment

1/20 from 3 had nothing to do with them losing

Comment

Was there in person and I thought the Jacks were on the wrong end of way more calls than the reverse. Their screeners were moving all night.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                                It's hard to scrutinize the current rotation much with Key and Buchanan out. A healthy Key is going to be getting 30+ most nights and they have to come from somewhere. It's easy to say "that was just Denver - of course we should win" and forget that our senior PG is on the bench while a team of 90% freshman and sophomores get the work done on the road. Just look at USD - a team and fanbase that puts the blame for their awful last month on the fact that their PG was hurt (and he's even been back the last few games). Any games we win with those two out should be appreciated - especially on the road.
                                Has to be room in the rotation for a 6'8 big like Dillon.

Comment

Working...
                                X