Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St. Cloud State to Summit

Default St. Cloud State to Summit

So St. Cloud dropped football and added men's soccer. They also have baseball. Dropped a sport that the Summit doesn't offer, added one and has one that are both needed by the Summit. Just sayin'

Default Re: St. Cloud State to Summit

That was my first thought also.

I wonder if they have budget for DI.

Quote Originally Posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    I wonder if they have budget for DI.

They have hockey and dropped football. They should have a budget for it. Not one of the MN schools I would choose, though.
    Rollin' in my 5.0
    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Thinking back to when UNO went D1. The Huskers were not going to allow another D1 football program in Neb. so the Mavs complied. Probably the same mind set for the Gophers! Interesting theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Thinking back to when UNO went D1. The Huskers were not going to allow another D1 football program in Neb. so the Mavs complied. Probably the same mind set for the Gophers! Interesting theory.
    St. Cloud State and the University of Minnesota are not part of the same University system like UNO & UNL are.

Quote Originally Posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    St. Cloud State and the University of Minnesota are not part of the same University system like UNO & UNL are.
    Money problems no doubt driving this problem. After building a new facility on the Mississippi River, it seems a waste to drop football. Their old facility was horrible and very high school. Seems like they dropped football in the 1970’s or was that Mankato? I won’t be surprised to see football added back down the road.

I've always wondered how proactive Douple is on being a deal maker and getting teams into the conference. If this was in the WAC's footprint (granted they're in a more desperate situation), they'd be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    I've always wondered how proactive Douple is on being a deal maker and getting teams into the conference. If this was in the WAC's footprint (granted they're in a more desperate situation), they'd be all over it.
    I'm guessing St. Cloud, with its budget and fan woes, has no plans to go D-1 in basketball. With St. Thomas coming in, the Summit doesn't really need them. And who knows? In 2030 or so, Augie might try to get in.
    This space for lease.

DFW Rabbit now, Look for me on disc golf courses, or nearby flood disaster

Note that Summit League already has 3 Hockey schools. Adding SCSU and St Thomas (aren't they a D-3 Hockey school?) would get the conference to 5. IMHO, it would be pretty good recognition of this league if a Summit League sponsored sport team won the D-1 title. Not just a team who plays their basketball/soccer in the Summit, and this non-Summit sponsored sports team (ala Denver's Men's Lacrosse Title 2018) wins.