St. Cloud State to Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Cloud State to Summit

So St. Cloud dropped football and added men's soccer. They also have baseball. Dropped a sport that the Summit doesn't offer, added one and has one that are both needed by the Summit. Just sayin'

Re: St. Cloud State to Summit

That was my first thought also.

Comment

I wonder if they have budget for DI.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        I wonder if they have budget for DI.

They have hockey and dropped football. They should have a budget for it. Not one of the MN schools I would choose, though.
        Rollin' in my 5.0
        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Thinking back to when UNO went D1. The Huskers were not going to allow another D1 football program in Neb. so the Mavs complied. Probably the same mind set for the Gophers! Interesting theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Thinking back to when UNO went D1. The Huskers were not going to allow another D1 football program in Neb. so the Mavs complied. Probably the same mind set for the Gophers! Interesting theory.
            St. Cloud State and the University of Minnesota are not part of the same University system like UNO & UNL are.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              St. Cloud State and the University of Minnesota are not part of the same University system like UNO & UNL are.
              Money problems no doubt driving this problem. After building a new facility on the Mississippi River, it seems a waste to drop football. Their old facility was horrible and very high school. Seems like they dropped football in the 1970’s or was that Mankato? I won’t be surprised to see football added back down the road.

Comment

I've always wondered how proactive Douple is on being a deal maker and getting teams into the conference. If this was in the WAC's footprint (granted they're in a more desperate situation), they'd be all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                  I've always wondered how proactive Douple is on being a deal maker and getting teams into the conference. If this was in the WAC's footprint (granted they're in a more desperate situation), they'd be all over it.
                  I'm guessing St. Cloud, with its budget and fan woes, has no plans to go D-1 in basketball. With St. Thomas coming in, the Summit doesn't really need them. And who knows? In 2030 or so, Augie might try to get in.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Note that Summit League already has 3 Hockey schools. Adding SCSU and St Thomas (aren't they a D-3 Hockey school?) would get the conference to 5. IMHO, it would be pretty good recognition of this league if a Summit League sponsored sport team won the D-1 title. Not just a team who plays their basketball/soccer in the Summit, and this non-Summit sponsored sports team (ala Denver's Men's Lacrosse Title 2018) wins.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                      Note that Summit League already has 3 Hockey schools. Adding SCSU and St Thomas (aren't they a D-3 Hockey school?) would get the conference to 5. IMHO, it would be pretty good recognition of this league if a Summit League sponsored sport team won the D-1 title. Not just a team who plays their basketball/soccer in the Summit, and this non-Summit sponsored sports team (ala Denver's Men's Lacrosse Title 2018) wins.
                      I really don't think so. Didn't Denver win the hockey championship a few years ago? I think they did but I'm not sure and I follow sports pretty close. Most fans aren't going to put 2 and 2 together.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                        The articles on them dropping FB state they have a $5.1 million budget shortfall at the D2 level. It is at least partially driven by a big drop in students. I don't see St. Cloud going D1 until they can get the finances under control. Dropping FB is a good start.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          I really don't think so. Didn't Denver win the hockey championship a few years ago? I think they did but I'm not sure and I follow sports pretty close. Most fans aren't going to put 2 and 2 together.
                          Bingo! We have two schools in Denver and UND that are hockey powerhouses. They compete in the NCHC for hockey and the Summit for others. Denver has several teams that compete in other leagues because the sports aren't offered in the Summit League (M & W Lacrosse, Skiing, W Gymnastics).

Not sure it puts a very long feather in the Summit Cap if they win in another sport that competes in another conference.

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Well, I think they definitely have to figure out their finances first.

However, if they wanted to join... .they would make a good travel partner with St. Thomas.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                              Well, I think they definitely have to figure out their finances first.

However, if they wanted to join... .they would make a good travel partner with St. Thomas.
                              I wonder if Minnesota State is more viable than St. Cloud.

Comment

Working...
                              X