2020 roster.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 roster.

I know its aways out and some may want to discuss the merits of this team vs looking ahead to next year and some will say it's to early to do so. But I was curious and looking over the roster. Assuming everyone comes back for next year I think we have reason to be excited.

Defense we probably return the most depth and young talent at D line and secondary. A lot of new players made major contributions or were freshman. Unless they take a sophomore slump those positions should be well set after being a big question mark last off season. Line backers are taking a major loss in Rozeboom. Honesty the starters will be solid next year just depth is my only concern since previous recruiting classes hit the linebackers group hard.

Offense was a mixed bag and a lot of injuries. So it's hard to gauge them if they were fully healthy. Qb. Assume its Gibbs to lose but not a lock. Heide proved a capable backup as much as some will disagree. He did really well imho. Running backs losing Daniel's will be a hit but the depth there should be able to handle it. Wr loses Anderson's who was just a steady contributor his whole time here. The jahnke twins will probably get more catches but have to work on the fumbling issue obviously as they both had them. Would love to see deyon Campbell get more touches but not in gimic plays. Tight end losses hart but really they group has talent but didnt really show what I think they. A. Do. Heinz after his injury of healthy will be good. Kunz needs to show the promise he did his freshman year. To be offense line is our question mark. Clark and greenway moving on hurt but genent back is a huge plus. The depth is a major issue and not sure the freshman or recruits can make a difference yet. TBD on their ability to contribute.

We lost by a touch down to minn and ndsu and fg to usd and uni as we all remember so 4 games were more then winnable and the isur game was Heide 1 or 2nd game as starter I think and was probably our worst loss but at the time they were doing well. A few less fumbles and we win usd and uni part 2. Injuries happen so you have to over ome them. We relied on a lot of first year players both sides of the ball and think we have reason to be optimistic going into next year.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Re: 2020 roster.

Here’s the schedule. Home games are in caps. Having the bye after week 1 isn’t ideal. Also, SDSU avoids Missouri State and Illinois State for the next 2 years. The Jacks will play NDSU, USD, UND, and UNI every year going forward. Last 2 home games don’t look good for attendance.

9-5-20 BUTLER
    9-12-20 BYE
    9-19-20 Nebraska
    9-26-20 INDIANA STATE
    10-3-20 North Dakota
    10-10-20 SOUTH DAKOTA
    10-17-20 North Dakota State
    10-24-20 Southern Illinois
    10-31-20 WESTERN ILLINOIS (HOBO DAY)
    11-7-20 Northern Iowa
    11-14-20 DIXIE STATE
    11-21-20 YOUNGSTOWN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
      Here’s the schedule. Home games are in caps. Having the bye after week 1 isn’t ideal. Also, SDSU avoids Missouri State and Illinois State for the next 2 years. The Jacks will play NDSU, USD, UND, and UNI every year going forward. Last 2 home games don’t look good for attendance.

9-5-20 BUTLER
      9-12-20 BYE
      9-19-20 Nebraska
      9-26-20 INDIANA STATE
      10-3-20 North Dakota
      10-10-20 SOUTH DAKOTA
      10-17-20 North Dakota State
      10-24-20 Southern Illinois
      10-31-20 WESTERN ILLINOIS (HOBO DAY)
      11-7-20 Northern Iowa
      11-14-20 DIXIE STATE
      11-21-20 YOUNGSTOWN STATE
      Oofda. That's a tough four game stretch leading up to Hobo Day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

No doubt we should be an equally talented team next year and compete for another seed. Rozeboom will be a huge loss, but I really feel like LB will continue to be a position of strength with Backhaus, Seven, Brown, and Shafer back. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Kusler twins see significant playing time either. The secondary was initially a question mark and real worry for me going into the season, but they far exceeded my expectations. Does anyone know if Marshon Harris will be back next year? The DL will be really good again, I just hope to see the pass rush get home at a higher rate. Getting pressure wasn't really an issue. Was Krockett ever really healthy this year? Seems like he saw less snaps and was less impactful than his RFr year.

On offense, Daniel and his leadership will be missed. Going to need someone to fill that short yardage role as well. Perhaps it will be freshman Isaiah Davis, who at 230 pounds, would currently be the only SDSU running back over 200 pounds. TE and WR we seem set at with good depth as well. Heard that Wandmaker may be transferring, but haven't seen confirmation anywhere. Offensive line will be a question mark for me, but we seem to have a nice mix of youth and experience. QB is obviously what most fans will be watching and talking about all offseason. At this point, IMO Gibbs will be a slight frontrunner as I believe he offers more potential to stretch the field not only with his arm, but his legs as well. What really interests me is if 2020 commit Mark Gronowski will be in the running at all. His tape is really good, has a big arm, moves well out of the pocket, and fast enough to be a threat with his legs. Wouldn't shock me to see one of the QB's transfer.

Special teams, I have no idea who's going to take the kicking spot, but am just hoping for more consistency. Our coverage teams are some of the best in FCS and I was never nervous of allowing a big play like in years past.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I know its aways out and some may want to discuss the merits of this team vs looking ahead to next year and some will say it's to early to do so. But I was curious and looking over the roster. Assuming everyone comes back for next year I think we have reason to be excited.

Defense we probably return the most depth and young talent at D line and secondary. A lot of new players made major contributions or were freshman. Unless they take a sophomore slump those positions should be well set after being a big question mark last off season. Line backers are taking a major loss in Rozeboom. Honesty the starters will be solid next year just depth is my only concern since previous recruiting classes hit the linebackers group hard.

Offense was a mixed bag and a lot of injuries. So it's hard to gauge them if they were fully healthy. Qb. Assume its Gibbs to lose but not a lock. Heide proved a capable backup as much as some will disagree. He did really well imho. Running backs losing Daniel's will be a hit but the depth there should be able to handle it. Wr loses Anderson's who was just a steady contributor his whole time here. The jahnke twins will probably get more catches but have to work on the fumbling issue obviously as they both had them. Would love to see deyon Campbell get more touches but not in gimic plays. Tight end losses hart but really they group has talent but didnt really show what I think they. A. Do. Heinz after his injury of healthy will be good. Kunz needs to show the promise he did his freshman year. To be offense line is our question mark. Clark and greenway moving on hurt but genent back is a huge plus. The depth is a major issue and not sure the freshman or recruits can make a difference yet. TBD on their ability to contribute.

We lost by a touch down to minn and ndsu and fg to usd and uni as we all remember so 4 games were more then winnable and the isur game was Heide 1 or 2nd game as starter I think and was probably our worst loss but at the time they were doing well. A few less fumbles and we win usd and uni part 2. Injuries happen so you have to over ome them. We relied on a lot of first year players both sides of the ball and think we have reason to be optimistic going into next year.
          You'd have to think the ability to still redshirt Heide could also be factor in QB competition. I'm curious about Bauer as a WR and possible kick returner given track speed. I see OL as one of the biggest question marks as well.

Comment

QB: Gibbs (*Returning Starter)
            RB: Strong (Returning Starter)
            FB: Morgan
            TE: Heins (*Returning Starter)
            TE: Kunz (Returning Starter)
            WR: Johnson (Returning Starter)
            WR: Janke (Returning Starter)
            WR: Bauer
            LT: Johnson (Returning Starter - right side)
            LG: McCormick (*Returning Starter)
            C: Genant (*Returning Starter)
            RG: Miller (Returning Starter)
            RT: Greenfield

*Started at one point during the season
            Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 12-09-2019, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              QB: Gibbs (Returning Starter)
              RB: Strong (Returning Starter)
              FB: Morgan
              TE: Heins
              TE: Kunz (Returning Starter)
              WR: Johnson (Returning Starter)
              WR: Janke (Returning Starter)
              WR: Bauer
              LT: Johnson (Returning Starter)
              LG: McCormick
              C: Genant (Returning Starter)
              RG: Miller (Returning Starter)
              RT: Greenfield
              Offense will be solid again. Tight ends need to take a step forward, Kunz seemed to have regressed. I really want to see what Tucker Kraft can bring.

Janke really needs to work on ball security or he shouldn't see the field.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                Offense will be solid again. Tight ends need to take a step forward, Kunz seemed to have regressed. I really want to see what Tucker Kraft can bring.

Janke really needs to work on ball security or he shouldn't see the field.
                The offense will be solid again? The offense is the reason we are having this discussion now instead of the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                  The offense will be solid again? The offense is the reason we are having this discussion now instead of the 2nd round of the playoffs.
                  There is not enough to say they would have or will be solid, but a full season of Gibbs, Strong, Wilson, Heins & Genant that definitely helps.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    There is not enough to say they would have or will be solid, but a full season of Gibbs, Strong, Wilson, Heins & Genant that definitely helps.
                    We are talking about the whole year, the offense was solid and scored points. Injuries were the main issue, plus turnover bug the last 4 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                      We are talking about the whole year, the offense was solid and scored points. Injuries were the main issue, plus turnover bug the last 4 weeks.
                      DELETED.

*Added. I probably agree with both AZJack & Jacksbacker. We were good to solid but could have been more solid with all of the injuries.?.
                      Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 12-09-2019, 10:15 PM. Reason: Deleted part of post.

Comment

I would have to agree offense should be good next year if they stay healthy. This season's ending was a direct result of injuries of key players. The Jacks lost all-conference and potential all-American players in October and November when it was most important.

Personally, I think we all need to keep an eye on the o-line. They weren't bad this year, but they weren't great, either. I see the o-line as the most important unit on a football team. A good o-line can make a mediocre QB look great. Not saying our QBs are mediocre, but they could have been great if the o-line had performed better. If the o-line is great, the offense will flourish. (I'm a Vikings fan; I've seen what a crap o-line can do to a QB and RB.)
                        Rollin' in my 5.0
                        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                          I would have to agree offense should be good next year if they stay healthy. This season's ending was a direct result of injuries of key players. The Jacks lost all-conference and potential all-American players in October and November when it was most important.

Personally, I think we all need to keep an eye on the o-line. They weren't bad this year, but they weren't great, either. I see the o-line as the most important unit on a football team. A good o-line can make a mediocre QB look great. Not saying our QBs are mediocre, but they could have been great if the o-line had performed better. If the o-line is great, the offense will flourish. (I'm a Vikings fan; I've seen what a crap o-line can do to a QB and RB.)
                          Totally agree. That is the difference between NDSU and us, their O line is consistently dominant. Our d line used to hold us back, this year it was the offense.

Our defense will be one of the best in the country again next year (right with NDSU and JMU). Our d line is finally a strength, let's hope the o line gets back to the top of the Valley.

Comment

9-5-20 BUTLER - W, attendance should be good
                            9-12-20 BYE - Early, but it is what it is...
                            9-19-20 Nebraska - L, hopefully we make a statement, avoid injuries. Or maybe this is the game that gets Frost fired.
                            9-26-20 INDIANA STATE - W, attendance should be good. Hopefully there's some post UNL excitement.
                            10-3-20 North Dakota - Playoff team on the road, 55% chance of win?
                            10-10-20 SOUTH DAKOTA - W, should be a fun atmosphere game, especially if weather cooperates.
                            10-17-20 North Dakota State - 20% chance of win. Need to get on their level, but realistically if we win one out of every 5 trips to Fargo in a 10 year span, that's 20%.
                            10-24-20 Southern Illinois - Decent team on the road, 60% chance of win?
                            10-31-20 WESTERN ILLINOIS (HOBO DAY) - W, like the late Hobo Day (then again there's no other game to really put it with), should lead to good attendance for a time when it traditionally starts dwindling.
                            11-7-20 Northern Iowa - Playoff team on the road. 50/50 game.
                            11-14-20 DIXIE STATE - W, know nothing of them, assuming we will win, attendance will be poor.
                            11-21-20 YOUNGSTOWN STATE - W, will Pelini still be around? Attendance may be poor.

Wins (6)- Butler, Ind State, USD, WIU, Dixie State, YSU (all home games)
                            Losses (2) - @Nebraska, @NDSU
                            Games to decide our fate (3) - @UND, @SIU, @UNI. If we go 3-0 in these combined 3, we are a top 4 seed. If we 2-1, we are a 5-8 seed. If we got 1-2 we are a playoff team. If we go 0-3, we are sitting at home.

Comment

DO NOT WEAR THE BLACK UNIFORMS AT ANY POINT NEXT SEASON IN WHOLE OR PART.

Comment

Working...
                              X