Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

4,100 this year and 3,000 last year for Duquesne...improvement? It is better but not sure what the answer is to get more fans out for playoffs, especially when the weather was not a factor this past weekend. I am sure admin is doing all they can to figure out the November and December attendance woes.

I think the QB battle with Gibbs and Heide will be a good one but I just think Gibbs provides a little more spark and big play potential from what I felt this year. Will be exciting to see how spring ball goes with those two

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacksSW View Post
      4,100 this year and 3,000 last year for Duquesne...improvement? It is better but not sure what the answer is to get more fans out for playoffs, especially when the weather was not a factor this past weekend. I am sure admin is doing all they can to figure out the November and December attendance woes.

I think the QB battle with Gibbs and Heide will be a good one but I just think Gibbs provides a little more spark and big play potential from what I felt this year. Will be exciting to see how spring ball goes with those two
      I'm not sure I can agree with you on weather not being a factor. Perfect football weather for most folks is mid 70's with the sun shining or better yet a roof over their head.

Comment

I think the USD loss had an affect as well. Hype sells tickets. Fan base was still in recovery after the USD loss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just a couple of my worthless quick opinions...

I love Eck, but I want him to either be the OL or OC, not both. Our play calling was both awesome and creative against Minnesota, but regressed as the season went on (yes I know injuries played apart of that). Also, the WR screen is our new swing pass apparently, once it got figured out it's success rate dropped significantly, but we still spammed the hell out of it.

As frustrated as I/we got with Janke's fumbles down the stretch, a lot of the blame needs to go on the coaching staff for continually putting him out there and in position to keep doing it. Everybody get's the yips, he will work through it and become a better player because of it.

I'm really starting to have my doubts about Coach Schleusner, our TE play has regressed for as much talent as we appear to have at the spot.

Our defense was really ****ing awesome, thank you guys for all the passion and excitement you brought to this team. It's crazy that we may be losing our best LB ever and yet will/should be even better next year.

Did anybody else go to Cubby's after the game? That was about the most somber I've ever seen that place, real bummer of an atmosphere until I got to my third bloody mary.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post

I love Eck, but I want him to either be the OL or OC, not both. Our play calling was both awesome and creative against Minnesota, but regressed as the season went on (yes I know injuries played apart of that). Also, the WR screen is our new swing pass apparently, once it got figured out it's success rate dropped significantly, but we still spammed the hell out of it.

As frustrated as I/we got with Janke's fumbles down the stretch, a lot of the blame needs to go on the coaching staff for continually putting him out there and in position to keep doing it. Everybody get's the yips, he will work through it and become a better player because of it.

I'm really starting to have my doubts about Coach Schleusner, our TE play has regressed for as much talent as we appear to have at the spot.

Our defense was really ****ing awesome, thank you guys for all the passion and excitement you brought to this team. It's crazy that we may be losing our best LB ever and yet will/should be even better next year.

Did anybody else go to Cubby's after the game? That was about the most somber I've ever seen that place, real bummer of an atmosphere until I got to my third bloody mary.
            I agree with those points. Felt like oline didnt progress this year and tight end seems the talent is there and after seeing cochart Wagner and goedert over the years seems strange to have a game with out a play maker at tight end. Cavanaugh or kunz seemed ready too but Heinz is probably the future of the position.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I agree with your points too, except I would've gone with something other than bloody Mary's.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
                I agree with your points too, except I would've gone with something other than bloody Mary's.
                I had way too much Busch Latte and Peppermint Schnapps pregaming, had to switch to spicy Bloody's and Mich Golden afterwards to stave off the early hangover.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  I agree with those points. Felt like oline didnt progress this year and tight end seems the talent is there and after seeing cochart Wagner and goedert over the years seems strange to have a game with out a play maker at tight end. Cavanaugh or kunz seemed ready too but Heinz is probably the future of the position.
                  Tucker Kraft, 6-5, 250, is a possible future stud at TE, too. He'll be a R-Fr next season. There seems to be quite a bit of talent at the position.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

A few thoughts:

1. If you have an issue with an athlete's performance (e.g. Heide threw a terrible interception), that is fair game. If you start insulting an athlete (e.g. Disco's comments), you need to really reflect on your perspective of college athletics. Comments like Disco's shouldn't be tolerated ever again (SDSU or any college athlete).

2. Attendance is an issue. but I am tired of reading about it on this board. I am here because I can't go to games often or even every year. This is where I come to chat with fellow Jackrabbits. I am on an island in the middle of purple kitty cats (UNI). All of this discussion is starting to turn me off of this board. We know it is an issue. It isn't one that will be fixed easily nor immediately.

3. I was disappointed that the passing game seem to go away after Heide's first interception. It seemed like the coaches stopped trusting him after one mistake. That ended up just being an 'arm punt' and while not ideal, shouldn't have changed the passing game.

4. I will be happier when the committee starts rewarding MVFC teams for being the best in the nation. There is no way UNI shouldn't have been seeded along with SDSU and NDSU. I think one of the teams should had ended up on the same side of the bracket with NDSU. The other on the other side. Flip a coin to which on you put where.

5. Neither team played last week to even give JMU any concern. UNI has a stout defense, but their offense looks like a good HS team too often.
                    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                      A few thoughts:

4. I will be happier when the committee starts rewarding MVFC teams for being the best in the nation. There is no way UNI shouldn't have been seeded along with SDSU and NDSU. I think one of the teams should had ended up on the same side of the bracket with NDSU. The other on the other side. Flip a coin to which on you put where.

5. Neither team played last week to even give JMU any concern. UNI has a stout defense, but their offense looks like a good HS team too often.
                      Couple things...4 MVFC teams made it in, they split them evenly we play ISU Saturday, are saying NDSU should have had a seeded team in our bracket? Why?

Your last comment to me kind of answers #4, you want UNI seeded but then go on to say they play like a HS team??? And in reality make a case SDSU shouldn't have been seeded
                      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

I thought our offensive line play was the biggest issue. I’m not an elite football mind though and maybe they were stacking the box more than I’m aware. Still, SDSU had Heide passing a lot. And he did miss some throws. Eck used a lot of double RB sets at Minnesota. I think injuries hurt in that position a lot.

I saw Cavanaugh in the stands before game time behind the home bench. Not sure what that’s about. He sticks out with his hair.

I forget his name but the kid from Washington that tore his ACL this year will be a stud if he can get healthy. Tough break for him.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                          Couple things...4 MVFC teams made it in, they split them evenly we play ISU Saturday, are saying NDSU should have had a seeded team in our bracket? Why?

Your last comment to me kind of answers #4, you want UNI seeded but then go on to say they play like a HS team??? And in reality make a case SDSU shouldn't have been seeded
                          I agree. I'm not sure SDSU can really complain about the playoff draw. The fact that we got a seed was extremely fortunate and really a function of other teams being not good.

As far as the UNI draw, they are going to regionalize things.....just the way it is.

And I do agree with the Tuba.....neither us nor UNI are/would have been a threat to JMU with the injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post

I had a nice reply all typed out and somehow lost it. I will try to re-create it.

My thought #4 is based on the assumption that there is a bit of bias against the MVFC in the committee. I am saying that both SDSU and UNI deserve a seed. If there is the bias, then you would pit one of those two against NDSU to eliminate a MVFC team. So, UNI/SDSU are 7/8 and thus, one goes up against NDSU in the quarters. Of course, if SDSU beats USD(r?), this is more than likely moot as they are 3/4 (I hope).

I have only watched UNI twice this season, and that has been their last two games. I assume that a team that finished second in the MFVC has a better offense than what I have seen. I also only know that USD(b?) had a 'high power' offense but I haven't heard anything about the defense. Being in the stands, UNI offense was poor. The defense most definitely won them that game. I think most people would agree that their offense the past two games has looked very bad. Maybe the HS reference is too harsh.

-So that is close to what I had before, but it lacks some of the previous elegance.
                            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                              I had a nice reply all typed out and somehow lost it. I will try to re-create it.

My thought #4 is based on the assumption that there is a bit of bias against the MVFC in the committee. I am saying that both SDSU and UNI deserve a seed. If there is the bias, then you would pit one of those two against NDSU to eliminate a MVFC team. So, UNI/SDSU are 7/8 and thus, one goes up against NDSU in the quarters. Of course, if SDSU beats USD(r?), this is more than likely moot as they are 3/4 (I hope).

I have only watched UNI twice this season, and that has been their last two games. I assume that a team that finished second in the MFVC has a better offense than what I have seen. I also only know that USD(b?) had a 'high power' offense but I haven't heard anything about the defense. Being in the stands, UNI offense was poor. The defense most definitely won them that game. I think most people would agree that their offense the past two games has looked very bad. Maybe the HS reference is too harsh.

-So that is close to what I had before, but it lacks some of the previous elegance.
                              SDSU had 4 regular season losses. They are lucky they got the 7 seed and personally think they got the 7 instead of 8 because the committee did not want to hear about NDSU and UNI/SDSU in the same pod.

For the record the SDSU team that hosted Gameday was significantly better than the SDSU team that lost to UNI. However, that is how FB works and why depth is so important in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by scbison View Post
                                SDSU had 4 regular season losses. They are lucky they got the 7 seed and personally think they got the 7 instead of 8 because the committee did not want to hear about NDSU and UNI/SDSU in the same pod.

For the record the SDSU team that hosted Gameday was significantly better than the SDSU team that lost to UNI. However, that is how FB works and why depth is so important in the playoffs.
                                Sort of how football works. If Trey Lance goes down for the year, Bison would have lost some games and be on the road in the playoffs. Losing a starting QB, and RB1 and 2 is something that not even NDSU would have overcome. Don't spout off how great your backup is, he's a backup for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X