Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: UNI Panthers, Part Deux (Playoff Edition)

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
    I live several hundred miles from Brookings. Attending a game involves several hours of driving, usually at least one night in a motel and several restaurant meals. I end up using one day of my precious vacation time for each game I attend. I have budgeted my vacation time and travel funds to attend five games each of the last few years. I donate an amount greater than the required amount to purchase the seats that I use. Sometimes coming home from those later season games involves driving for hours in poor travel conditions. A few years ago I missed a game because the weather forced all of the roads in western South Dakota to be closed for the weekend.

Attending those games is a priority that I have set for myself. If I were to use those five vacation days and the thousands of dollars, yes, literally thousands, that I spend on football, I could take another summer vacation, or maybe a winter vacation to a warmer climate.

I am frequently finding myself accused of being an unmotivated fan, worthy only of attending lower level football games. It is my fault that North Dakota State out recruits us. I really have to wonder why I even bother going to a game where I am surrounded by @$$holes who consider me an inferior fan. Every time I go out to shovel snow for the rest of this winter I am going to be thinking about that warm weather vacation that I can take next year if I just redirect some of my resources. I probably have until April or May to decide ….
    I know all about the windshield time after living in Columbus Nebraska from 1985 to 2005. Its about a 260 mile drive one way, and rather than make a 80 trip and spent hundreds of dollars in Lincoln, I turned my car north towards Brookings. I even got an article written about my fan loyality in the State Paper that came out every once in a while. Many of my older brothers and sisters were still living back then so
    my lodging costs were held and I bought my one brother-in law a season ticket in exchange. It was great to see family on weekends as I think I attended every football and basketball game. Coming west, you probably have me beat in miles. If you are who I think, you grew up in the Brookings area and its like coming home. I bet you have a Nicks now and then. Thank you for your loyalty,

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks View Post
      Bunch of random thoughts on this game and season:

-Turnovers, man. I had too much confidence in the coaching staff that they would rectify this by making it an absolute priority the last four games. I understand the players have some fault as well.

-The way we lost 3 out of the last 4 was so uncharacteristic of SDSU football, and I think thatÂ’s why the frustration.

-I donÂ’t know what to say about attendance, Sell has rolled out the red carpet for fans and I truly donÂ’t know the answer to get butts in the stands. I can say, I canÂ’t stand hearing about it either, itÂ’s not only an SDSU problem, itÂ’s happening everywhere.

-I really hope the kicking game improves next year, that was difficult to watch.

-Hoping to retain all of our playmakers and assistant coaches but I have a feeling that might not be the case. It seemed stig was more publicly critical of assistants play calling. No clue but just a little sense of friction.

-We may have an apathetic fan base with attendance but at least we do not have the trolls that the USD fans have. They have nothing to cheer for on the field so trolling after a loss is all they got. Keep in mind, USD has never made it passed the round of 16 in the playoffs, never once finished better than 4-4 in the conference while we finished 5-3 this year with our 5th, yes 5th string qb, it took SDSU being completely decimated on offense and 4 turnovers for them to beat us for the first time in 20 years, and they are trying to troll us, gfy. People will say that there are some in every fan base but It is the majority for them and that is a loser fan base no doubt.
      Do you think some of the turnover problems were due to Jacks' reliance on underclassmen who were still getting acclimated to college size and speed?

Regarding USD, let's work on making painting Brookings blue on Oct. 10 our mission, because I expect a sizable number of 'Yotes will be trying to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
        Oh boy -- if you know a female teen with the moxie Heide showed at times this season, get her in contact with Eck because we can use her on the roster, if only to increase attention on the program.

College Gameday in 2019 followed by The View in 2022?
        Moxie ? Oh please. It’s a credit more than anything to the talent around him. He has a decent arm and has showed flashes that down the road he may in fact have moxie. I think you’re confusing potential with actuality.

That being said Heide would likely take me to the woodshed in a street fight but by MVFC standards and in comparison to Gibbs he’s a 16 year old schoolgirl.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post
          No. Once Gibbs was out for the year with a torn ACL and losing the most hyped regular season game to the Bison while having to replace Gibbs with a true freshman QB whose built like a 16 year old schoolgirl I dramatically modified my expectations. This seems like a fitting ending.
          Wtf is this?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            Wtf is this?
            What do you think ?

Comment

Moxie ? Oh please. It’s a credit more than anything to the talent around him. He has a decent arm and has showed flashes that down the road he may in fact have moxie. I think you’re confusing potential with actuality.

That being said Heide would likely take me to the woodshed in a street fight but by MVFC standards and in comparison to Gibbs he’s a 16 year old schoolgirl.
              No, I recall him running in a TD against the damn Bison and not being afraid to stand in the pocket in the face of considerable pressure throughout end of season. He's basically the same weight as McElvain and only slightly less than Backhaus, and Gibbs' stature is basically TE/LB-esque, but thank goodness the coaches don't seem to use your femininity matrix in formulating the depth chart.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                No, I recall him running in a TD against the damn Bison and not being afraid to stand in the pocket in the face of considerable pressure throughout end of season. He's basically the same weight as McElvain and only slightly less than Backhaus, and Gibbs' stature is basically TE/LB-esque, but thank goodness the coaches don't seem to use your femininity matrix in formulating the depth chart.

Your defense of Heide is admirable even though I don’t understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  Wtf is this?
                  Personally, I'm hoping that "disco" is someone who's deliberately trolling us to see if we're going to debase ourselves and besmirch Jacks players.

Comment

Your defense of Heide is admirable even though I don’t understand it.
                    The lack of understanding is mutual. I feel fortunate that both Gibbs and Heide are players it will be easy to root for.

Comment

lol..

Comment

From what I was told, it sounds like a UNI assistant coach had words with Backhous before he lost it. I personally only saw his reaction, not what led to it.

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                        Anyone know what the deal was with Backhaus after the game? He was acting awfully offended and like he wanted to fight the whole UNI team.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

No. Once Gibbs was out for the year with a torn ACL and losing the most hyped regular season game to the Bison while having to replace Gibbs with a true freshman QB whose built like a 16 year old schoolgirl I dramatically modified my expectations. This seems like a fitting ending.
                          That's out of line, discoDancinRabbit. Consider this a warning.

Added: Well, I'm getting caught up with this thread and see disco repeated the personal attack before my warning (and before he/she saw the warnng) so I guess my way of dealing with some frustrations with yesterday's loss is to take it out on discoDancinRabbit- another comment like the previous one(s) will earn a suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            That's out of line, discoDancinRabbit. Consider this a warning.

Added: Well, I'm getting caught up with this thread and see disco repeated the personal attack before my warning (and before he/she saw the warnng) so I guess my way of dealing with some frustrations with yesterday's loss is to take it out on discoDancinRabbit- another comment like the previous one(s) will earn a suspension.

Meh I think the transition from Gibbs to Heide was the most influential factor in determining our demise this year. Wouldn’t you agree that warrants a little sarcastic exaggeration?

Comment

Meh I think the transition from Gibbs to Heide was the most influential factor in determining our demise this year. Wouldn’t you agree that warrants a little sarcastic exaggeration?
                              Personally, I think insulting a player, especially a Jacks player, who did nothing wrong except having a few turnovers and taking a few sacks while giving it his all is ridiculous. It would be one thing if he were exhibiting poor sportsmanship, but I never saw that from Heide.

Plus, if we delved into it further, I think we would find multiple instances where our OL failed to adequately protect in certain situations, but I get that you want to pin it all on Heide.

Comment

I completely agree. If you lose the yellow and blue glasses it’s not hard to see the turning point of this season. If we are being objective about Heide he was below average. His numbers might look ok but most of that was the horizontal passing game we saw all day yesterday. I don’t blame Heide; just can’t expect too much from him given the situation. How the coaches couldn’t have a serviceable backup is beyond me but they gotta figure that out.

I feel bad for the seniors because we had to resort to a true freshman at the most important position on the field. Our defense was elite all year and they kept us in every game but you need an offense that can score or at least flip the field.

Comment

Working...
                                X