Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: USD Week

Default Re: USD Week

[pQUOTE=SturgisJeff;352447]don't wear the black uniform.[/QUOTE]

NEver

My opinion is that outside of Harris and Wes, don't hold anyone back simply for the purpose of saving a redshirt at this point in the season. We are too banged up and there is too much to lose by focusing on preserving redshirts. If Blakely gives us the best chance to win Saturday and make a playoff run, play him every snap. Same with anyone else. Holding out a playmaker in the first quarter of a game to see if "you can win without him" is not a good idea, imo. If you go one full quarter and you realize that you need him, you've still burned that game and you lost a quarter of his playmaking potential that could cost you the game. If you really dont think you need him, dont play him. But if you think you're going to need him, benching him for a quarter is not a wise move.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    If you really dont think you need him, dont play him. But if you think you're going to need him, benching him for a quarter is not a wise move.
    But what if you don't know if you need him until the end of the first quarter...

That's a tough one. I'm of the opinion that we should play Mikey and Mulholland, but clearly there's a reason why we saw Blakely against UNI and not Mulholland, so that makes me lean toward Blakely. Another factor that we have no clue about is how long Strong is projected to be out and when Wilson will be back. Both of these things will play into the decision as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    My opinion is that outside of Harris and Wes, don't hold anyone back simply for the purpose of saving a redshirt at this point in the season. We are too banged up and there is too much to lose by focusing on preserving redshirts. If Blakely gives us the best chance to win Saturday and make a playoff run, play him every snap. Same with anyone else. Holding out a playmaker in the first quarter of a game to see if "you can win without him" is not a good idea, imo. If you go one full quarter and you realize that you need him, you've still burned that game and you lost a quarter of his playmaking potential that could cost you the game. If you really dont think you need him, dont play him. But if you think you're going to need him, benching him for a quarter is not a wise move.
    Bingo! Play to win this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CappinHard View Post
    But what if you don't know if you need him until the end of the first quarter...

That's a tough one. I'm of the opinion that we should play Mikey and Mulholland, but clearly there's a reason why we saw Blakely against UNI and not Mulholland, so that makes me lean toward Blakely. Another factor that we have no clue about is how long Strong is projected to be out and when Wilson will be back. Both of these things will play into the decision as well.
    Lol. For the record, I'm not saying that I think Blakely is the key to success. I think we probably can win with Blair and Mikey too. What I am saying is that if Blakely playing gives us a better chance to win, play him every snap if need be. Our depth is being tested and I dont think November/December is the time to try to preserve it. If we built depth this off season, it was intended to be utilized late in the season when it might be needed most.

Quote Originally Posted by Justwin View Post
    Bingo! Play to win this year.
    Just saying if TC would have redshirted he would have been a senior with a stacked team and imho would be ranked 1 or 2 we beat ndsu and isur. With the 4 game option I think you have to play for the future as much as you can play to win now. If we had gibbs the whole season I am in buy now mode. Playing of 3rd string qb makes me a little more cautious. even though he looked solid last week and more then good enough to win. Blair is more the capable to get a few carries and be effective against usd.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    I love the all whites on the road.
    Right. Have we worn all white road unis yet this year? We better not wear yellow pants. Go all white and burn the black ones. They have bad juju.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    Just saying if TC would have redshirted he would have been a senior with a stacked team and imho would be ranked 1 or 2 we beat ndsu and isur. With the 4 game option I think you have to play for the future as much as you can play to win now. If we had gibbs the whole season I am in buy now mode. Playing of 3rd string qb makes me a little more cautious. even though he looked solid last week and more then good enough to win. Blair is more the capable to get a few carries and be effective against usd.
    That is what I call playing for next year. Too many things change from year to year. Trying to load up for 1 year may bring success for that year but not the long haul. If our recruiting is where it needs to be play the best players.

Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    I'm setting the over/under for questionable personal foul/late hit penalties called on the SDSU defense at 3.
    I'm setting the over/under for obvious personal foul/late hit penalties not called on USD at 4.
    This is another thing I am very concerned about. Remember the late hit/cheap shot that their sideline celebrated last year?

They aren't any better this year... leading the league in penalties and personal fouls.

So scared of them being chippy and dirty, and first of all our response to that, and second of all anyone getting injured because of it.

They've got nothing to play for. Why not take out a few players from your rival on your way out the door?

Quote Originally Posted by goon View Post
    Too many variables. Maybe the reason we got a few of the playmakers on offense is they saw a game that TC played while not redshirting. Maybe without him we don't get the receiver or running backs we have on the roster now.

The only season that we can count on is this one. Doesn't the program preach 1-0 every week? Play the best players. In 4 years we may have someone just as talented to step in
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.