USD Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD Week

Last regular-season game coming up. The game is on Midco Sports and ESPN+ along with the Jackrabbit radio network.

Last season, the Jacks won 49-27 in Dykhouse Stadium.

USD is 4-7 overall, 3-5 in the MVFC. They are 3-2 in the Dome. The USD offense has had some ups and downs but nevertheless is capable of moving the ball. The USD defense has struggled for much of the year although it showed up two weekends ago when hosting Youngstown State.

Stating the obvious: USD has some players including a capable quarterback who can throw and run. The environment will start out loud and hostile.

I'll predict the Jacks defense clamps down on the 'Yote offense while the Jacks offense, with another week of practice with Keaton Heide at the helm, punishes the Yote defense. A decisive win is necessary to eliminate doubt in the minds of those selecting seeds for the playoffs: SDSU 49 (or more), USD 7.

Go Jacks!

Re: USD Week

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Last regular-season game coming up. The game is on Midco Sports and ESPN+ along with the Jackrabbit radio network.

Last season, the Jacks won 49-27 in Dykhouse Stadium.

USD is 4-7 overall, 3-5 in the MVFC. They are 3-2 in the Dome. The USD offense has had some ups and downs but nevertheless is capable of moving the ball. The USD defense has struggled for much of the year although it showed up two weekends ago when hosting Youngstown State.

Stating the obvious: USD has some players including a capable quarterback who can throw and run. The environment will start out loud and hostile.

I'll predict the Jacks defense clamps down on the 'Yote offense while the Jacks offense, with another week of practice with Keaton Heide at the helm, punishes the Yote defense. A decisive win is necessary to eliminate doubt in the minds of those selecting seeds for the playoffs: SDSU 49 (or more), USD 7.

Go Jacks!
    I like the predicted score. Hopefully the Jacks are also injury-free afterward. Are you going to the game?

If you see a pile of ashes, that'll likely be what remains of me after I spontaneously combust upon entry into that infernal den of 'Yotedom

Comment

USDs defense looks horrid. If we’re able to get plenty of yards on the ground we will be very difficult to handle. Not making stoopid errors and shooting ourselves in the foot with timely penalties turnovers will go a long way in setting ourselves up with a seed.

Comment

If the game were in Brookings, I'd go with a 21+ point spread, bit we haven't played well in the dome since the rivalry renewed and some of our most talented teams have had issues beating some of their weakest when inside that building. The difference this year is that our D is much improved and is one of the best in the nation. I like our chances, bit I'm not prepared to predict a blow out.

I'll say 34-17 Jacks, with a late SDSU score to ice it. Old, part of me is nervous that Simmons and co will go off and get us into a shootout, which would be bad. But then I think about how awful their d has been and some of their low scoring games on offense, and I wonder if we could pull it off by 20. One thing that will be very different this year is that there won't be 2l students right on top of our bench (unless the votes change protocol for their big game). It should be easy to communicate and make adjustments on the sideline since construction has made that side a ghost town. And no matter how loud it gets, 5k people on one side of the field isnt the same as having people surrounding you and yelling.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
          I like the predicted score. Hopefully the Jacks are also injury-free afterward. Are you going to the game?

If you see a pile of ashes, that'll likely be what remains of me after I spontaneously combust upon entry into that infernal den of 'Yotedom
          LOL. I won't be at the game but will be following the game on the computer. I am going to make a point of getting to the DakotaDome for a game in the future when the renovations are completed. I think the end result will be an attractive venue and the 'Yotes fans will develop some home-field advantage with noise etc.

Comment

I would love to see a thrashing of course. However, expecting a blowout in this game is a bad move. Everyone knows we are deeper and just plain better...that is when bad things can happen. Gadgets and gimmicks worked last week, let's grind on them and take our shots. Hope our defense plays with a huge chip on their shoulder!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              If the game were in Brookings, I'd go with a 21+ point spread, bit we haven't played well in the dome since the rivalry renewed and some of our most talented teams have had issues beating some of their weakest when inside that building. The difference this year is that our D is much improved and is one of the best in the nation. I like our chances, bit I'm not prepared to predict a blow out.

I'll say 34-17 Jacks, with a late SDSU score to ice it. Old, part of me is nervous that Simmons and co will go off and get us into a shootout, which would be bad. But then I think about how awful their d has been and some of their low scoring games on offense, and I wonder if we could pull it off by 20. One thing that will be very different this year is that there won't be 2l students right on top of our bench (unless the votes change protocol for their big game). It should be easy to communicate and make adjustments on the sideline since construction has made that side a ghost town. And no matter how loud it gets, 5k people on one side of the field isnt the same as having people surrounding you and yelling.
              Agree with all of this. We're better, but playing down there scares me. Also, eventually they are going to beat us. I don't think it will be this year, but having a backup QB and back up back up RB gives them a solid chance. I'll take the Jacks by 7.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

This is a game that we really need to get up early and let the D maul them into submission. USD can score some points when they want to, but they've also had some duds (UNC, SIU, etc.). I think our D is good enough to contain their O, but we need the secondary to have a great game and we need to play good assignment d, especially when it comes to simmons out if the backfield. I think if we can limit his escalability and get a good pass rush, we can win fairly comfortably. If he has all day to throw, he has the ability to pick us apart.

This is also a good game for some long, slow offensive drives. Keep their O off the field, drain the clock, beat them into a pulp in the first half and watch it pay dividends in the second half. IMO, we need to defer again if given the chance and try to take a two score lead into the locker room at halftime along with a 5 minute TOP advantage. I like our chances if we can do both of those things followed by getting the ball to start the third again.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  Agree with all of this. We're better, but playing down there scares me. Also, eventually they are going to beat us. I don't think it will be this year, but having a backup QB and back up back up RB gives them a solid chance. I'll take the Jacks by 7.
                  You mention that they're eventually going to beat us... that honestly scares me the most. It's just going to happen sooner or later in a rivalry game. NDSU fans like to say that playing them is our super bowl. I think we have proved that we have bigger things in mind than beating NDSU in the regular season. However, this literally is USD's super bowl, especially in a year like this where they have nothing else to look forward to. Scary proposition.

Comment

Those posters advising caution are wise. History is on their side: We have had some real struggles playing in the DakotaDome.

I think an objective viewer would take what our defense has done most of the season and based on what our resurgent offense is capable of,...would predict a comfortable Jacks' win with the Coyotes having trouble putting many points on the scoreboard. But objective viewers won't be playing the game. USD has some athletes. They have a dangerous quarterback and I won't be surprised if he has his best game of the season. So, the game most likely will be a very tight one.

But pre-game predictions are easy to make and add to a little fun before the contest. I'll take into account the wise counsel of other posters and take a step back from the limb I'm on...revising my prediction to 42-10.

Added: jakejc792, in the second post in this thread, said he liked my score prediction. Let me remind you of jake's clairvoyance: he made this prediction days ahead of the UNI game: "I think the Jacks get at least a half dozen sacks (with one resulting in a fumble scoop and score)." He nailed it. [To be real honest, deep inside I'm like CappinHard: it is real scary going to USD for this game.]

Comment

Very worried about this one.

The Jackrabbits are a better team, but they will be fired up, and we're still running out a true freshman QB, without Pierre and CJ.

Their offense is good. I'm hoping we can move the ball on the ground with Mikey and Crew. If they sell out to stop the run, Keaton is going to have to make them pay.

Like last weekend... no turnovers, and I like our chances.

Comment

How many tickets will the visitors get?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          How many tickets will the visitors get?
                          I think the NCAA minimum is 200 to the visiting team, but I could be wrong? I'll be there with 2 other Jack's fans in the section near the SDSU allotment.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            Very worried about this one.

The Jackrabbits are a better team, but they will be fired up, and we're still running out a true freshman QB, without Pierre and CJ.

Their offense is good. I'm hoping we can move the ball on the ground with Mikey and Crew. If they sell out to stop the run, Keaton is going to have to make them pay.

Like last weekend... no turnovers, and I like our chances.

Definitely not looking past this one, but I am not worried at all. Their 'vaunted' offense was putrid against NDSU and I think we are as good or better than the Bison on defense. Simmons had 73 yards passing. If we can shut down Trey Lance we can shut down Simmons. Yes emotion, yes it is in the dome, which will have a total of 5000 people. Their defense is bad, run the ball, make throws to our playmakers and play solid defense. We will be fine.

Stig and the staff know how to get our guys up for this game.

Comment

USD Preview: https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...th-dakota.html
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                              X