• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Week

[pQUOTE=SturgisJeff;352447]don't wear the black uniform.[/QUOTE]

NEver

Comment

My opinion is that outside of Harris and Wes, don't hold anyone back simply for the purpose of saving a redshirt at this point in the season. We are too banged up and there is too much to lose by focusing on preserving redshirts. If Blakely gives us the best chance to win Saturday and make a playoff run, play him every snap. Same with anyone else. Holding out a playmaker in the first quarter of a game to see if "you can win without him" is not a good idea, imo. If you go one full quarter and you realize that you need him, you've still burned that game and you lost a quarter of his playmaking potential that could cost you the game. If you really dont think you need him, dont play him. But if you think you're going to need him, benching him for a quarter is not a wise move.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        If you really dont think you need him, dont play him. But if you think you're going to need him, benching him for a quarter is not a wise move.
        But what if you don't know if you need him until the end of the first quarter...

That's a tough one. I'm of the opinion that we should play Mikey and Mulholland, but clearly there's a reason why we saw Blakely against UNI and not Mulholland, so that makes me lean toward Blakely. Another factor that we have no clue about is how long Strong is projected to be out and when Wilson will be back. Both of these things will play into the decision as well.

Comment

My opinion is that outside of Harris and Wes, don't hold anyone back simply for the purpose of saving a redshirt at this point in the season. We are too banged up and there is too much to lose by focusing on preserving redshirts. If Blakely gives us the best chance to win Saturday and make a playoff run, play him every snap. Same with anyone else. Holding out a playmaker in the first quarter of a game to see if "you can win without him" is not a good idea, imo. If you go one full quarter and you realize that you need him, you've still burned that game and you lost a quarter of his playmaking potential that could cost you the game. If you really dont think you need him, dont play him. But if you think you're going to need him, benching him for a quarter is not a wise move.
          Bingo! Play to win this year.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            But what if you don't know if you need him until the end of the first quarter...

That's a tough one. I'm of the opinion that we should play Mikey and Mulholland, but clearly there's a reason why we saw Blakely against UNI and not Mulholland, so that makes me lean toward Blakely. Another factor that we have no clue about is how long Strong is projected to be out and when Wilson will be back. Both of these things will play into the decision as well.
            Lol. For the record, I'm not saying that I think Blakely is the key to success. I think we probably can win with Blair and Mikey too. What I am saying is that if Blakely playing gives us a better chance to win, play him every snap if need be. Our depth is being tested and I dont think November/December is the time to try to preserve it. If we built depth this off season, it was intended to be utilized late in the season when it might be needed most.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
              Bingo! Play to win this year.
              Just saying if TC would have redshirted he would have been a senior with a stacked team and imho would be ranked 1 or 2 we beat ndsu and isur. With the 4 game option I think you have to play for the future as much as you can play to win now. If we had gibbs the whole season I am in buy now mode. Playing of 3rd string qb makes me a little more cautious. even though he looked solid last week and more then good enough to win. Blair is more the capable to get a few carries and be effective against usd.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                I love the all whites on the road.
                Right. Have we worn all white road unis yet this year? We better not wear yellow pants. Go all white and burn the black ones. They have bad juju.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                  Just saying if TC would have redshirted he would have been a senior with a stacked team and imho would be ranked 1 or 2 we beat ndsu and isur. With the 4 game option I think you have to play for the future as much as you can play to win now. If we had gibbs the whole season I am in buy now mode. Playing of 3rd string qb makes me a little more cautious. even though he looked solid last week and more then good enough to win. Blair is more the capable to get a few carries and be effective against usd.
                  That is what I call playing for next year. Too many things change from year to year. Trying to load up for 1 year may bring success for that year but not the long haul. If our recruiting is where it needs to be play the best players.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    I'm setting the over/under for questionable personal foul/late hit penalties called on the SDSU defense at 3.
                    I'm setting the over/under for obvious personal foul/late hit penalties not called on USD at 4.
                    This is another thing I am very concerned about. Remember the late hit/cheap shot that their sideline celebrated last year?

They aren't any better this year... leading the league in penalties and personal fouls.

So scared of them being chippy and dirty, and first of all our response to that, and second of all anyone getting injured because of it.

They've got nothing to play for. Why not take out a few players from your rival on your way out the door?

Comment

Too many variables. Maybe the reason we got a few of the playmakers on offense is they saw a game that TC played while not redshirting. Maybe without him we don't get the receiver or running backs we have on the roster now.

The only season that we can count on is this one. Doesn't the program preach 1-0 every week? Play the best players. In 4 years we may have someone just as talented to step in
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I agree. Let's not get into the "let's play for the future" trap. Generally speaking, play your best guys and win now, especially when you have a very good team. There can be exceptions for injured upperclassmen, like Harris and Genant, or young guys not ready to play. But SDSU has reached the point that it has a steady stream of good, new players coming in every year. So play your best guys, regardless of whether they're freshmen. Don't waste guys and scholarships on the sideline.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          Too many variables. Maybe the reason we got a few of the playmakers on offense is they saw a game that TC played while not redshirting. Maybe without him we don't get the receiver or running backs we have on the roster now.

The only season that we can count on is this one. Doesn't the program preach 1-0 every week? Play the best players. In 4 years we may have someone just as talented to step in
                          I dont think it's that easy to tell say you only get to play in 5 or 6 games and lose half a season. I think the players should say if they want to maintain their redshirt season. I know I'm crazy but even when they are good enough to play I would rather have them on the field more at 22 years old instead of 18.

Comment

And if Taryn had been redshirted, he would have graduated and maybe a Big 10 or PAC 12 or some other big name major conference school would have guaranteed more exposure and better prep for the NFL, and he grad-transfers (see Vernon Adams). Who knows ? Playing the woulda, shoulda, coulda game has too many variables for me. My philosophy on redshirting (and a big part of the decision should depend on what the player himself wants) is that if you have a freshman at a skilled position that makes you better, play him. It's a little different with linemen who most probably get bigger and stronger during a redshirt year.

Comment

I dont think it's that easy to tell say you only get to play in 5 or 6 games and lose half a season. I think the players should say if they want to maintain their redshirt season. I know I'm crazy but even when they are good enough to play I would rather have them on the field more at 22 years old instead of 18.
                              Soren Petro, a particularly good sports talk host down here in KC has a very relevant question he likes to trot out when discussing all kinds of personnel decisions: "If not him then who?"

In my opinion, if a true freshman is the best player on the team right now to take the field at his position, then he should be allowed to play, and he should want to play, and he should play. After all, there is no guarantee that he'll still be the best player on the field next year, let alone when he's a senior. Another freshman coming in next year might be better, after all.

If I'm an athlete and have a chance to get on the field, I go for it.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                Soren Petro, a particularly good sports talk host down here in KC has a very relevant question he likes to trot out when discussing all kinds of personnel decisions: "If not him then who?"

In my opinion, if a true freshman is the best player on the team right now to take the field at his position, then he should be allowed to play, and he should want to play, and he should play. After all, there is no guarantee that he'll still be the best player on the field next year, let alone when he's a senior. Another freshman coming in next year might be better, after all.

If I'm an athlete and have a chance to get on the field, I go for it.
                                Pro sports yes, you have to play to win even though most leagues have teams tanking on purpose. College to me is a different animal. If you play guys early because they are the only good option left then you don't have the depth in front of them, but if our QB in Christion would have been back for a senior year we are better of then him playing a couple games his freshman year. I am not talking every freshman, play the ones who are a true difference maker, the others get them 4 games experience and preserve their senior season if you can. But I agree the play has to really have that choice.

If your worried that a senior might grad transfer that's the risk you have to be willing to take, but at the same time, a program that is putting guys in the big 10 or 12 etc who are getting more exposure for the NFL isn't really a bad thing either. Look at basketball, in hindsight Daum should have probably left. He stayed and a great career but didn't pan out after college like we though, but Mooney left and its gone well for him since he left.

As far as the USD game, a game we should win, If we cant do it with Blair as rotational back, then he is wasting a scholarship at this point. I feel his game action over the last few years has warranted as much a chance to get some meaningful minutes as Nelson has at QB. In the world of instant gratification I know I am the minority who thinks its better to save some players for the future. I think I mentioned, if Gibbs is healthy, I am all in play everyone who can win since a national title is a real possibility. Hoping a 3rd string freshman QB can get enough experience to take us to a championship makes me think about the future a little more. Heide has been solid and appears ready for the challenge, but if playing a guy in the USD game costs him a full extra season, I think its worth suiting up the guys who a burning a year not matter what.

To play my own devils advocate I understand the chance of injury is always there and if a play never used a redshirt year that could always be an option in the future which isn't bad either. Just glad non of us have to make those decisions.

Comment

Working...
                                X