Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits @ BlueJays

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    It's still very early , but it's kind of a shock to the system that after countless seasons of having the three point shot be such an important part of the offense, we have a team that seemed to not really be interested in taking a three until the last couple minutes of the game. It's going to be tough for our post players if we can't establish some kind of threat from the perimeter as the season goes on.
    +1,000

Somehow Larson needs to get open on the perimeter. RCJ is competent at 3's, Tylee less so, Myah needs to start hitting them at last year's clip. Theunick has never found her shot at the college level.

Like YanktonJack67 said, this team will beat every SL team besides USD with our height and athletic advantage alone. The defense could be scary good by league play with their length and athleticism. USD heavy favorites for regular season and SL tourney. Sad to say that.

Comment

Probably very reactionary... but we've discussed this in the past: the guard recruiting has been thin for the past few (and future?) cycles. Nothing at all against RCJ and Theuninck, but we just don't seem to have very dynamic perimeter players as scorers. Not to say nobody will develop throughout the year, but it feels like the most glaring concern for this year and beyond, as well. Coming off last year, it was kind of difficult to watch us struggle to score like we did tonight. With that being said, I think we'll be in every single game this year aside from Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        It's still very early , but it's kind of a shock to the system that after countless seasons of having the three point shot be such an important part of the offense, we have a team that seemed to not really be interested in taking a three until the last couple minutes of the game. It's going to be tough for our post players if we can't establish some kind of threat from the perimeter as the season goes on.
        I had this discussion after the Sweet 16 game last year. I mentioned that while we may miss Miller's talent this year, Madison's skillset would be missed more. Having a true threat from 3 opens up everything else. Driving lanes are one or two steps wider and leads never seem too big.

I hope that a couple of the women find their shot as the season progresses. I am sure there is a bit of pressing going on to try to "make up" for the losses to graduation. I think that once they settle in and play their game we will see the offense pick up.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I think this team is still very much trying to find their way. They are still learning their roles and learning to become comfortable in their roles. Things such as who will be the team leader(s) are still being ironed out. How to run an offense with a strong post presence vs. one they've run for years with a strong guard presence is still being ironed out. Proper floor spacing is still being figured out. The leadership role was very clear the past several years with Macy/Madison. Now we need to see who is willing and able to step up to that role. Our returning roster has done very well in support roles to Macy and Madison the past few years, but now someone needs to step into the leadership role(s)…...and that's not necessarily an easy thing to do. It will take some time, but it will come.

Comment

This team will be much better come March. IMO we just don't have that go to girl when the chips are down to take control and get a basket. I realize it is early but we had basically 4 to 5 years to find a replacement for Macy an Maddie and I'm not sure we have her on the roster.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

Somehow Larson needs to get open on the perimeter. RCJ is competent at 3's, Tylee less so, Myah needs to start hitting them at last year's clip. Theunick has never found her shot at the college level.

Like YanktonJack67 said, this team will beat every SL team besides USD with our height and athletic advantage alone. The defense could be scary good by league play with their length and athleticism. USD heavy favorites for regular season and SL tourney. Sad to say that.
              USD might be the favorites, but I am not ready to give them the title. They are going to really miss Alison Arens and all she did for them. She is as hard to replace for them as Madi and Macy are for us and I suspect there will be a few times this season it will show up.

Last night it just felt like they needed someone to just step up and lead the team. We cannot get frustrated when they put constant pressure on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodakbull View Post
                USD might be the favorites, but I am not ready to give them the title. They are going to really miss Alison Arens and all she did for them. She is as hard to replace for them as Madi and Macy are for us and I suspect there will be a few times this season it will show up.

Last night it just felt like they needed someone to just step up and lead the team. We cannot get frustrated when they put constant pressure on the ball.
                Agree 100%. Also the officials were not the best last night, 50/50 calls all went to Creighton. Some horrible reach ins that weren't called and some of the charge calls against us were bad.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                  Agree 100%. Also the officials were not the best last night, 50/50 calls all went to Creighton. Some horrible reach ins that weren't called and some of the charge calls against us were bad.
                  I agree some of the calls didn't go in our favor but the team that is playing harder with the momentum usually get more calls to go their way. We were pretty good in the first half and dictated the flow of the game. 2nd half they couldn't miss and we only scored 5 points in the 4th quarter.

Comment

Leaders lead and inspire others to give more of themselves and instill confidence in each teammate to make plays when they're given the opportunity to, this in turn builds team cohesiveness and makes the game easier. I'd like to think that all five of our starters have some leadership qualities in them and I think they all do. We had that team cohesiveness and confidence in spades last season, it's just a little bit harder to come by so far this season, it'll come, I have no doubt.We just have to wait for it all to come together like I think it will, as soon as they get a few wins under their belt. I know this just sounds like a pep talk, but I really do think these women are all fierce competitors and will find that mojo soon, just based on the toughness I've seen in them from past season's and just a belief that they'll find the right solutions to fix what's ailing them right now.Oh, and,making a few more buckets won't hurt either

Comment

I'm not ready to throw this team away by any means. But the fact remains we need to some better shooting from the backcourt to open up the post. I think it will come, to a degree. We might be in a position to be looking for a grad transfer PG to take up some of the slack next year, considering we lose RCJ. IDK, its a weird deal to have sooooo many good post players and not a reliable guard or two. But they are "kids" doing their best for he program. I will support.

Comment

This team is going to be fine. I like to think the 'bumps and bruises' in these first two games will be good learning tools.

RCJ is fine... Theunick can shoot the ball (she scored about a million points in HS...) wasn't counted on to do so last year, and is still finding her way. Tylee can also shoot it.

They start to get some shots to fall, and all of a sudden they are going to be very difficult to defend.

Selland and/or Burkard are our current Go To players for a quick bucket.

I've said this a few years in a row, AJ and this team always play better at the end of the season. I don't see why this can't be any different.

Comment

imo, no........i just don't see the jacks getting a consistent perimeter threat this season. i believe i have stated this earlier, if i am the opponents coach, i clog up the middle as much as possible and try to make the jacks prove they can hit the 3 on a consistent basis. yes, bb can be a funny game and there may be a few games where practically everyone is hitting around the perimeter. we'll see. i hope they prove me wrong, but, i am just not seeing the threat that fans are used to seeing. sorry.
                          looked at realtimerpi.com a bit ago. if i remember correctly, jacks sitting at 211? i don't think they have ever been that low since DI have they?

Comment

Do we have a known commodity from the 3 point line this year like we've had in the past? No....but as this team finds its way I think they'll get much better from beyond the arc. I thought AJ's weekly update this week was spot on. He said everyone on this team is still learning their role and how they fit into the scheme of things. At this point in the season they're still learning concepts, schemes, spacing, etc., so they're doing a lot of thinking on the court. He expects them to transition from thinking to just relaxing and playing in the very near future. Once that happens, I think more shots will start to fall as we start to play more relaxed and more comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                            X