Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GDT: Jackrabbits @ BlueJays

Default Re: GDT: Jackrabbits @ BlueJays

Quote Originally Posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
    Woof. So many scoring droughts. The starters just aren’t doing enough.
    Larson has been MIA so far. Selland can't do it by herself and likely playing through injury as she is short on everything. Larson needs to dominate this year and disappears most of the time.

Theunick isn't good enough off the bench and lack of outside shooting will really hurt this team. They needed Larson to be the secondary 3 pt shooter, she hasn't had the looks yet or been aggressive enough.

One thing I will say though, this team is a work in progress and will be really tough in March (the young post talent is the best SDSU has ever had). Last year we had a team that was polished and ready to shine. Some warts need to removed from this year's team and AJ will figure out a way.

Jacks lose 61-48. Bummer.
    This space for lease.

Subpar guard play isn’t gonna cut it. Nobody can seem to shoot either. Team will be good in the Summit League but USD will be huge favorites. Long way to go

I knew we were done for when the score was 47-53 forever...with time ticking away
    Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-12-2019 at 10:37 PM.

It's still very early , but it's kind of a shock to the system that after countless seasons of having the three point shot be such an important part of the offense, we have a team that seemed to not really be interested in taking a three until the last couple minutes of the game. It's going to be tough for our post players if we can't establish some kind of threat from the perimeter as the season goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    It's still very early , but it's kind of a shock to the system that after countless seasons of having the three point shot be such an important part of the offense, we have a team that seemed to not really be interested in taking a three until the last couple minutes of the game. It's going to be tough for our post players if we can't establish some kind of threat from the perimeter as the season goes on.
    +1,000

Somehow Larson needs to get open on the perimeter. RCJ is competent at 3's, Tylee less so, Myah needs to start hitting them at last year's clip. Theunick has never found her shot at the college level.

Like YanktonJack67 said, this team will beat every SL team besides USD with our height and athletic advantage alone. The defense could be scary good by league play with their length and athleticism. USD heavy favorites for regular season and SL tourney. Sad to say that.

Probably very reactionary... but we've discussed this in the past: the guard recruiting has been thin for the past few (and future?) cycles. Nothing at all against RCJ and Theuninck, but we just don't seem to have very dynamic perimeter players as scorers. Not to say nobody will develop throughout the year, but it feels like the most glaring concern for this year and beyond, as well. Coming off last year, it was kind of difficult to watch us struggle to score like we did tonight. With that being said, I think we'll be in every single game this year aside from Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    I had this discussion after the Sweet 16 game last year. I mentioned that while we may miss Miller's talent this year, Madison's skillset would be missed more. Having a true threat from 3 opens up everything else. Driving lanes are one or two steps wider and leads never seem too big.

I hope that a couple of the women find their shot as the season progresses. I am sure there is a bit of pressing going on to try to "make up" for the losses to graduation. I think that once they settle in and play their game we will see the offense pick up.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

I think this team is still very much trying to find their way. They are still learning their roles and learning to become comfortable in their roles. Things such as who will be the team leader(s) are still being ironed out. How to run an offense with a strong post presence vs. one they've run for years with a strong guard presence is still being ironed out. Proper floor spacing is still being figured out. The leadership role was very clear the past several years with Macy/Madison. Now we need to see who is willing and able to step up to that role. Our returning roster has done very well in support roles to Macy and Madison the past few years, but now someone needs to step into the leadership role(s)...and that's not necessarily an easy thing to do. It will take some time, but it will come.

This team will be much better come March. IMO we just don't have that go to girl when the chips are down to take control and get a basket. I realize it is early but we had basically 4 to 5 years to find a replacement for Macy an Maddie and I'm not sure we have her on the roster.