Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT-UTRGV

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

It’s classic how some have already precisely identified this teams weaknesses after one game. I would have thought that would take until at least February with all the new players, but I’m not much good at Fan Forum Panic.
    Where was the panic after one game? I must have missed it.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Despite us shooting 4-17 from 3 and less than 60% from the FT line, I was really encouraged by what I saw last night. We played with a ton of energy on both ends, we were flying around the floor and it was some really exciting basketball. We'll know a lot more about this team next week after they go on the road to Cal State-Bakersfield (picked 7th/9 in WAC), USC (picked 5th in Pac-12) and Nebraska (picked last in Big 10). If we go 1-3 I'll be content, 2-3 would be a huge plus for us, 3-3 isn't happening with this young team.

Comment

Echoing pretty much what everyone else has said...loved the energy, rebounding, defense, etc. Also not reading into rotations at all at this point. Orris went 2 months without seeing the floor and will forever be a Jackrabbit legend. There will be some big time bumps in the road, but we could be very dangerous come March. Defense and rebounding win games that time of year...
        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
          Echoing pretty much what everyone else has said...loved the energy, rebounding, defense, etc. Also not reading into rotations at all at this point. Orris went 2 months without seeing the floor and will forever be a Jackrabbit legend. There will be some big time bumps in the road, but we could be very dangerous come March. Defense and rebounding win games that time of year...
          I saw enough last night that tells me teams won't want to see us in the Summit League Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            I think this will be a big game for Key... First game back after sitting out a season. He's great at getting through pressure and distributing the ball. If he wasn't back, I would be a lot more worried about the pressure.
            *pats back*

Comment

Solid defense and rebounding was great to see. We will have to find outside shooting threats, because Summit League teams will have to pack the lane to stop Wilson from dunking all over them. I'm not too worried about that though, as Arians has shown he can shoot it from outside, and I have faith that Freidel, Wingett, and Scheierman are more than capable outside shooters. I assume we'll get to see some of Buchanan against Peru State tomorrow night, so that will be interesting. I was disappointed in Owen King's play, and I hope he gets more aggressive and comes into his own throughout the year. I think the biggest concern that I have that was mentioned by RO is the lack of play makers that can make their own shot. Not to say that we don't have them, but I didn't see it very much at all last night. I think Freidel and Wingett are candidates for that type of role and I'm excited to see one or both of them step into that at some point.

Comment

It was fun to finally see this team in action. Thought our freshmen looked comfortable playing on the D1 stage, and they will only get better as they settle in and find their shot. I was a little surprised that Buchanan didn't see the floor and the limited time for Wingett and Owens, but........as has been noted, I'm guessing this team will look much different when conference play starts.

I will be curious to see who takes over PG when Key goes out. Owens has never looked real comfortable handling the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Route 12 Jack View Post
                  It was fun to finally see this team in action. Thought our freshmen looked comfortable playing on the D1 stage, and they will only get better as they settle in and find their shot. I was a little surprised that Buchanan didn't see the floor and the limited time for Wingett and Owens, but........as has been noted, I'm guessing this team will look much different when conference play starts.

I will be curious to see who takes over PG when Key goes out. Owens has never looked real comfortable handling the ball.
                  Scheierman was in that slot last night.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Route 12 Jack View Post

I assume you're talking about Owen King? I agree on wondering who handles the ball while Key is out... I think King is servicable doing this, but like you said doesn't look comfortable doing it. As OldHare mentioned, Scheierman did it a bit last night and looked comfortable, he's very good at distributing the ball too, which is a good fit in that role. I'm interested to see if Buchanan can possibly take some of these duties, or if Mims gets a look for it as well.

Comment

Solid defense and rebounding was great to see. We will have to find outside shooting threats, because Summit League teams will have to pack the lane to stop Wilson from dunking all over them. I'm not too worried about that though, as Arians has shown he can shoot it from outside, and I have faith that Freidel, Wingett, and Scheierman are more than capable outside shooters. I assume we'll get to see some of Buchanan against Peru State tomorrow night, so that will be interesting. I was disappointed in Owen King's play, and I hope he gets more aggressive and comes into his own throughout the year. I think the biggest concern that I have that was mentioned by RO is the lack of play makers that can make their own shot. Not to say that we don't have them, but I didn't see it very much at all last night. I think Freidel and Wingett are candidates for that type of role and I'm excited to see one or both of them step into that at some point.

Well, even last year with experienced outside shooters of Flatten and Daum, esp, before conference play started there were a total of 6 games where 3 point shooting was a combined 33 of 116… 28%. That wasn’t necessarily tearing it up! Even though 4 of 17...3 point shooting last night was only 23.5%. The high potential young guys will need to step up

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                        Despite us shooting 4-17 from 3 and less than 60% from the FT line, I was really encouraged by what I saw last night. We played with a ton of energy on both ends, we were flying around the floor and it was some really exciting basketball. We'll know a lot more about this team next week after they go on the road to Cal State-Bakersfield (picked 7th/9 in WAC), USC (picked 5th in Pac-12) and Nebraska (picked last in Big 10). If we go 1-3 I'll be content, 2-3 would be a huge plus for us, 3-3 isn't happening with this young team.
                        Wanted to add the Nebraska got beat last night 66-47 by UC-Riverside, only scoring 19 points in the 2nd half. They have only 2 players back from last year's roster and 11 new scholarship players.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          Wanted to add the Nebraska got beat last night 66-47 by UC-Riverside, only scoring 19 points in the 2nd half. They have only 2 players back from last year's roster and 11 new scholarship players.
                          I know it has nothing to do with us, but WAC member Grand Canyon got their tails kicked in by D2 Davenport last night.

Comment

It's important to note that Coach Hendo basically said in the post-game press conference not to read too much into the rotation/playing time in the season opener, as UTRGV had a unique style of play and the game plan will be different when playing more traditional teams. Our best lineup last night was Key, Scheierman, Ariens, Wilson, and Dent, which we rode quite a bit, but that was likely because they were the best at taking care of the ball under pressure.
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

That was the best defensive effort we have seen from a Jacks team for a couple years. Love that!

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I assume you're talking about Owen King? I agree on wondering who handles the ball while Key is out... I think King is servicable doing this, but like you said doesn't look comfortable doing it. As OldHare mentioned, Scheierman did it a bit last night and looked comfortable, he's very good at distributing the ball too, which is a good fit in that role. I'm interested to see if Buchanan can possibly take some of these duties, or if Mims gets a look for it as well.
                                I think King is going to go by the wayside. I hope he can come around, he has enough experience from last year he should be clicking. He isn't, but, I'm not part of the staff, but they seem to feel the same way I do about him. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                                X