Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: GDT-UTRGV

Default Re: GDT-UTRGV

Quote Originally Posted by OldHare View Post
    I do not want to sound a bit uninformed, but Dentlinger turned in a solid stat sheet. 17 points on 5-8 shooting and listen to the 6-7 from the free throw line too. He grabs 14 rebounds and hands out 2 assists in 24 minutes. He did have 1 turnover and 2 personal fouls. He does not have blazing speed or next generation athletic abilities, although I would consider him to be a worthy piece of the formula.
    He looked like a ballerina out there on his feet last night compared to last season. That oop he had to Wilson was awesome. Our bigs had a great game.

Something to think about with Dentlinger - he has next level smarts and is super successful academically. So limitations he may have on the athletic ability side, and looking at him early this year I'm not sure those are as exaggerated as we would have thought, may be countered by his intelligence, instincts, and grit/work ethic. I'm excited to see him continue to have success.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Quote Originally Posted by da_coach View Post
    I'm a bit surprised he didn't get any run? But I'm not at practices or coaches meetings or anything... I'm just a fan like you guys.

Maybe his defense is lacking? He did look super aggressive defensively against Mount Marty, for what that is worth.
    It takes some JUCO players time to adjust. Remember Key's first year when some were writing him off in February because it looked like he had a bad attitude sitting on the bench ? And if I remember correctly, Deondre Parks didn't set the world on fire in his first few games.

Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    It takes some JUCO players time to adjust. Remember Key's first year when some were writing him off in February because it looked like he had a bad attitude sitting on the bench ? And if I remember correctly, Deondre Parks didn't set the world on fire in his first few games.
    Hell, I remember being really frustrated with Deondre Parks for the first half of his JR year.

Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Which makes Douglas Wilsonís performance even more impressive coming from the JUCO ranks. Will be fun watching him grow as the year goes on.

We lost some incredible offensive and shooting firepower from last year. Thankfully there are other components to winning basketball games. Last nights shooting performance would have had last years teams getting crushed by ANY team. Hopefully a team that rebounds and plays tough D leads to more consistency and wins even on off nights.

Cool to see the ball movement and unselfish play as well. Excited to see us against some P5 teams coming up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post

Itís classic how some have already precisely identified this teams weaknesses after one game. I would have thought that would take until at least February with all the new players, but Iím not much good at Fan Forum Panic.
    Where was the panic after one game? I must have missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFan96 View Post
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Despite us shooting 4-17 from 3 and less than 60% from the FT line, I was really encouraged by what I saw last night. We played with a ton of energy on both ends, we were flying around the floor and it was some really exciting basketball. We'll know a lot more about this team next week after they go on the road to Cal State-Bakersfield (picked 7th/9 in WAC), USC (picked 5th in Pac-12) and Nebraska (picked last in Big 10). If we go 1-3 I'll be content, 2-3 would be a huge plus for us, 3-3 isn't happening with this young team.

Echoing pretty much what everyone else has said...loved the energy, rebounding, defense, etc. Also not reading into rotations at all at this point. Orris went 2 months without seeing the floor and will forever be a Jackrabbit legend. There will be some big time bumps in the road, but we could be very dangerous come March. Defense and rebounding win games that time of year...
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by jacks1 View Post
    Echoing pretty much what everyone else has said...loved the energy, rebounding, defense, etc. Also not reading into rotations at all at this point. Orris went 2 months without seeing the floor and will forever be a Jackrabbit legend. There will be some big time bumps in the road, but we could be very dangerous come March. Defense and rebounding win games that time of year...
    I saw enough last night that tells me teams won't want to see us in the Summit League Tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by CappinHard View Post
    I think this will be a big game for Key... First game back after sitting out a season. He's great at getting through pressure and distributing the ball. If he wasn't back, I would be a lot more worried about the pressure.
    *pats back*