ISUr week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ISUr week

I still think it'll take time to build the following.

Look at Wa-Grizz in Missoula, they average huge crowds in an outdoor stadium in a city that can get pretty cold late in the season. Even though they have been average at best for the last 10 years, people in the area still show up every week.

I do agree about showing the stands from the east side, no one will care about the upside down logo.

Comment

i dont think the Jacks will have a problem winning this game, ISU-R has zero offense outside Robinson.
      BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Regarding the stadium...DJD was just featured as one of the best stadiums in CFB.

We could do a few things to make it a little better. Enclose the west entrance in glass, stop the wind from blowing through. Honestly could do that on the north and south ends of that concourse too. Maybe run auxiliary heat in super cold weather to make it comfy.

dakotadome was built at $8.2 mil., steel roof was $13.7, this reno is $26.3. $48.2 mil and they still won’t have more than 10k seats and will have trouble selling those games out. Add to that it is still not very attractive.

We are so fortunate to have what we have. It’s time to stop complaining and enjoy what we have. A shiny new stadium and meaningful FB in November and December.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          Regarding the stadium...DJD was just featured as one of the best stadiums in CFB.

We could do a few things to make it a little better. Enclose the west entrance in glass, stop the wind from blowing through. Honestly could do that on the north and south ends of that concourse too. Maybe run auxiliary heat in super cold weather to make it comfy.

dakotadome was built at $8.2 mil., steel roof was $13.7, this reno is $26.3. $48.2 mil and they still won’t have more than 10k seats and will have trouble selling those games out. Add to that it is still not very attractive.

We are so fortunate to have what we have. It’s time to stop complaining and enjoy what we have. A shiny new stadium and meaningful FB in November and December.
          Are they really putting $26.3 million into this renovation? That's laughable....but then I remind myself, it's USD.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            I like outdoor football but I admit that I've been in a covered stadium when only a demented Packers fan would be outside -- and I was happy to be indoors. But think about the cost of a domed stadium that could hold the crowd we had for the marker game. How much greater than $100 million would it cost? I'm crazy about the Dykhouse stadium and I think we just have to keep winning and talking up what a great venue and experience the stadium provides. The crowds over time will continue to grow.

I think I've posted this in other threads in the recent past: The crowds that show up for late-season, cold-weather games are the best! The banter in the crowd is hilarious. The wisecracks flying around, the criticism of the referees (along with some backhand compliments); jokes about the average girth of Bison fans (come on, goon, with me on that?) ...it's too bad we're not recording some of that stuff.

This weekend's game is going to have excellent football weather: 40+ degrees. Wear a coat and yell a lot.

I love outdoor football as well. My question is why not cover the field this time of year when not in use? As much fun as the USD game was last year, I would rather not see a field like that again. I can't imagine the players enjoy a frozen, icy field either.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Here's a minor rant I thought of a few minutes ago when I took a break for a cup of coffee and cleaned out some unopened email on my iPhone:

I've been completely supportive of marketing efforts by the athletic dept. (Here is comes...) BUT, should some thought be given to the notion that social media may be a pretty lousy way to get people to come to a football game? I have four season tickets and I know how to buy additional tickets. So I receive the emails telling me how to get tickets etc. Well I've already been convinced. What is being done to contact those who are casual fans and need a nudge to think about buying tickets? Are those people even on the email-list? I drive by an electronic billboard on Highway 212 in Watertown nearly every day (and on many days, I drive by that billboard several times a day). Thousands of people drive by that billboard every day. I've never seen an ad promoting a particular game or ticket deal at the Dykhouse Stadium. But I look at that colorful Daktronics board every time I pass by.

I mostly ignore social media and all advertising that tries to get my attention when I'm online. That may be just me but I think a lot of people do that. That kind of advertising is viewed by many as a mild to moderate pain in the butt. I cannot readily come up with one example of where I was motivated to do something because of an advertisement I saw while looking at my iPhone, my iPad, my Chromebook or my ThinkPad.

Back to cleaning out email: a number of the unopened emails were from SDSU. I can tell from the name of the sender (e.g. SDSU Jackrabbit Club") and the subject line (e.g. Hobo Hangout Invite vs. Illinois State) whether I want to read further. The overwhelming majority of the actual messages accompanying such emails do not get read. Same for the email I receive from the banks where I have accounts, from Gibson and Epiphone Guitars; from Starbucks; (oh, wait, I read the Stabucks mail); from GM's On Star Member Services;...they just get deleted. I do not have (or simply will not take) the time to read through all of that stuff. I'm using SDSU only as an example with no criticism in mind. This morning I deleted probably 25-30 unread emails while visiting the men's room. That kind of advertising just doesn't get through to me and, more important: it doesn't get through to a lot of people.

Sincerely,
              Resident curmudgeon
              I agree 100%. There should be billboards up all over Sioux Falls, Mitchell, Yankton, and Watertown that are updated to show ticket specials and what games are happening for football, basketball, wrestling, etc. That’s just my opinion. Some radio and TV ads wouldn’t hurt either.
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                I love outdoor football as well. My question is why not cover the field this time of year when not in use? As much fun as the USD game was last year, I would rather not see a field like that again. I can't imagine the players enjoy a frozen, icy field either.
                They practice on it nearly every day.

Comment

#1 If they built a dome, yes it would help attendance later in the season. That's just a fact.
                  #2 I am also a fan of 'out door' football, and wouldn't want a dome on beautiful fall games.
                  #3 So unless you're going to build a Dome with the retractable roofs (which are insanely super expensive, and really only a few professional teams have them), You are let to #4
                  #4 Be happy with what we've got. It's a gorgeous stadium. Bundle up for cold weather.

As a FB season ticker holder, but not BB (because HS season interferes too much, and I'd miss too many games), I still get the notices about ticket deals during the BB season.

I'm worried about this game, and you guys can't make me un-worried. Their Defense is legit and we're bringing out a True Freshman quarterback in his 2nd start.

Yes, I think we can win, and will be cheering for that to happen, and I'll be supporting the entire team. But I'm not going to go off the deep end if a 'worst case scenario' happens.

Comment

Using select billboards to promote Jacks' games (like this one) is a great idea. But I wonder how many discount tickets to games you would have to sell just to cover the cost of renting the signs. Billboards aren't cheap. Social media is cheap. That's largely why organizations use it so much.
                    I like the Jacks's chances Saturday. Any injuries fans should be worried about?
                    This space for lease.

Comment

With an inch or two of snow on the ground, my nephew has picked up my prime ticket for Saturday and the following week. Old folks like me would like to see a dome, but its just not going to happen. Just too much money. I do like Jackedforlife suggestions. There are always ways to improve existing facilities,], I see its going to be 47 on Saturday so may have made a mistake giving my tickets away. I owe my nephew so my best option is Midco tv. I hope SDSU is on if not my imagination is filled with Tyler descriptions on WNAX.

Comment

I suspect sun glare would become a significant factor if TV cameras were to shoot games from the east side looking west. Midco probably wouldn't like that.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          I suspect sun glare would become a significant factor if TV cameras were to shoot games from the east side looking west. Midco probably wouldn't like that.
                          No Midco would not like that nor would I watching from my living room. The crowd size is what it is, and what it shows is what it shows.

Comment

Or start initiative for the fans attending move to the east side.

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                            I still think one of the single best things they could do is show the games from the east side. Right now, Midco games on Saturday are our most visible marketing tool, and there's a lot to be desired. Shown from the east side, even a late November game with 9k people will look well attended and fun to be at and might convince others that they're missing out.

Back to the game at hand: I don't think ISUr is a great team this year, but I think they are probably the third best team we've played to to date at this point in the season. We lost to the other two best teams on our schedule, so this would be a huge game for Heide to pick up another win.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              Again, the Marker game has been filmed entirely from the east side by KLVY in 2017 and 2019. 2019 was very sunny and there was no glare. The sun glare should not be an issue. Both games are up on YouTube and are a good visual for what each home game could look like on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                                Again, the Marker game has been filmed entirely from the east side by KLVY in 2017 and 2019. 2019 was very sunny and there was no glare. The sun glare should not be an issue. Both games are up on YouTube and are a good visual for what each home game could look like on TV.
                                This year's was a lot more sunny and it looked great. By the time the sun is low enough in the West, it's blocked by the large West side grandstand, so it's not an issue at all.

https://youtu.be/a7zE8dyVMBU

Comment

Working...
                                X