HS Football Playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS Football Playoffs

So. Pierre beat Spearfish 103-0 tonight. My God. Glad there are 7 classes of football.

Re: HS Football Playoffs

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    So. Pierre beat Spearfish 103-0 tonight. My God. Glad there are 7 classes of football.
    Boat raced them or pine bluffed them. Either way that's bad.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Not a good look. Pierre is an incredible team, but there's no way an 0-9 team (that scored only 23 points all year!) should ever make the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
        Not a good look. Pierre is an incredible team, but there's no way an 0-9 team (that scored only 23 points all year!) should ever make the playoffs.
        Theoretically, no but with seven classes and the SDHSAA making the schedules, this the outcome. In all, there no 10 points margins of victory. Several games, winner won by 25 of more. It’s crazy and no fun for the losing teams. Mercy rules next??

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Theoretically, no but with seven classes and the SDHSAA making the schedules, this the outcome. In all, there no 10 points margins of victory. Several games, winner won by 25 of more. It’s crazy and no fun for the losing teams. Mercy rules next??
          Lot's of things you can change:

1. Reduce # of classes
          2. Mercy Rule
          3. Don't allow as many teams into the playoffs. Just because there are 8 teams doesn't mean they all have to make it. Only let top-4 or top-6 (give top 2 a first round bye) into the playoffs. Then you avoid this embarrassment.

This is such a joke of a system that it really cheats our SD kids of a good experience. When they look back 10 years from now and think about the state title they won and how they only had to be the best of 8 teams to win it, how proud are they really going to feel?

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post

1. Reduce # of classes
            2. Mercy Rule
            3. Don't allow as many teams into the playoffs. Just because there are 8 teams doesn't mean they all have to make it. Only let top-4 or top-6 (give top 2 a first round bye) into the playoffs. Then you avoid this embarrassment.

This is such a joke of a system that it really cheats our SD kids of a good experience. When they look back 10 years from now and think about the state title they won and how they only had to be the best of 8 teams to win it, how proud are they really going to feel?
            Most old guys really don’t care that much and some of them can’t recall Even winning it.
            We need more people in SD Struggling to keep a nine program going is no fun.

Comment

1. Reduce # of classes
              2. Mercy Rule

If you reduce the number of classes, then you won't have as many classes with only 8 teams. Honestly, I think it's asinine that we have seven classes in a state of less than 900,000.

I see the SDHSAA is considering eliminating an 11-man and a 9-man class, leaving 3 11-man and 2 9-man classes. That's a lot more sane.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                If you reduce the number of classes, then you won't have as many classes with only 8 teams. Honestly, I think it's asinine that we have seven classes in a state of less than 900,000.

I see the SDHSAA is considering eliminating an 11-man and a 9-man class, leaving 3 11-man and 2 9-man classes. That's a lot more sane.
                Man - I sure hope this happens. Like it needs to happen. I just hope some common sense comes to prevail and not this putrid "everyone needs to make the playoffs" mentality that has been going on the last 10-15 years as we've just continued to add classes.

Comment

Man - I sure hope this happens. Like it needs to happen. I just hope some common sense comes to prevail and not this putrid "everyone needs to make the playoffs" mentality that has been going on the last 10-15 years as we've just continued to add classes.
                  SDHSAA is going to drop an 11-man and a 9-man class for football. There was a lot of contention about how the classifications would be set up (11AA - 9 teams, 11A - 16 teams, 11-B - rest of the 11-man teams), so they're going to revamp the classes and vote on them this summer.
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post

SDHSAA is going to drop an 11-man and a 9-man class for football. There was a lot of contention about how the classifications would be set up (11AA - 9 teams, 11A - 16 teams, 11-B - rest of the 11-man teams), so they're going to revamp the classes and vote on them this summer.
                    Hallelujah. Finally.

Comment

Enrollment is growing only in SF area and possibly in Rapid. When cooperative includes up to four schools, then something is wrong. I haven’t analyzed every cooperative arrangement but many seem to be including more area than enrollment

Comment

This adjustment has been long overdue. I'm all for giving opportunities, but you never want it to become a participation ribbon event.

Last year there were 127 teams among six classes in South Dakota. The class with the most teams was class 11B with 26 teams. I've officiated for 30 years in both SD and NE. Believe it or not, the breakdown in enrollment numbers for the classes is not too far apart for the two states. Yet the number of teams per class are three times as much for many of the classes in Nebraska.

You have to make it competitive and I understand how a Sioux Falls school should not be matched up against a Douglas, Spearfish or Sturgis. It has been awhile, but I've officiated some of those games in the past and it was not fun.

Teams can be competitive even if they have less than half the students. In Nebraska's Class B, the 2nd largest enrollment class, Omaha Roncalli ended the regular season 7-2. Their enrollment of 160 boys was far less than Scottsbluff's 400. They squared off in the semifinals last year and it was a tight game. Even in Nebraska's largest class, Omaha South had one of their better seasons last year with a 4-5 record. They had 1,157 boys in the three grades that were used for calculations. Lincoln Pius X had a down year by their standards finishing with the same record. Those two teams squared off in the season finale and Pius won 42-6. At an enrollment of 451, they are roughly a third of the size of Omaha South. North Platte is only slightly larger than Pius and they were arguably better than Omaha South. North Platte hasn't had much to cheer about since Danny Woodhead starred for them nearly 20 years ago, but they still do their best to field competitive teams and do win games.

Comment

SD FB Advisory Committee again kicked the can down road again today. They as a group couldn’t make a decision on how to reduce to 5 classes from 7 even though all agreed that 7 classes was too many. So what they did instead was all agree they needed more people on the committee to make the decision. SMH.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            SD FB Advisory Committee again kicked the can down road again today. They as a group couldn’t make a decision on how to reduce to 5 classes from 7 even though all agreed that 7 classes was too many. So what they did instead was all agree they needed more people on the committee to make the decision. SMH.
                            Yes, because generally having more opinions makes coming to a consensus easier.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Yes, because generally having more opinions makes coming to a consensus easier.
                              I know, right? Most on the committee are FB coaches or former coaches who make split second decisions during a game but they can’t make a decision even with plenty of data & plenty of time to assist them.

Comment

Working...
                              X