Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Seed Tracker 2k19

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    Considering margin of losses to playoff teams, one could argue it does.

Regardless, I am glad I don't face the conflict of belated Thanksgiving or a Jacks game this weekend, although it's looking like the weather will prevent travel this weekend anyway.
    Ok. Let's not look at records then. UNI lost to 2 playoff teams for their 2 losses. SDSU lost to 1 playoff team, 1 middle of the road teams, and 1 bottom team. Even if you say SDSU looked good in the NDSU game, that was negated by how terrible they looked at USD.

This isnt the same team that thumped UNI or that held up against NDSU. Unless the committee knows that we are getting Strong or Wilson back, this isnt a top 7 team. Don't get me wrong, I like the home game, but I just think it was undeserved.

I also think that SIU should have been in over a bunch of other teams, but the MVFC didnt have the shine to it this year
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      Ok. Let's not look at records then. UNI lost to 2 playoff teams for their 2 losses. SDSU lost to 1 playoff team, 1 middle of the road teams, and 1 bottom team. Even if you say SDSU looked good in the NDSU game, that was negated by how terrible they looked at USD.

This isnt the same team that thumped UNI or that held up against NDSU. Unless the committee knows that we are getting Strong or Wilson back, this isnt a top 7 team. Don't get me wrong, I like the home game, but I just think it was undeserved.

I also think that SIU should have been in over a bunch of other teams, but the MVFC didnt have the shine to it this year
      It's easy to say a team doesn't deserve this ranking or that ranking if you don't back it up with alternatives. Which teams, specifically, would you rank above the Jacks to knock them out of the top 8? The reality is that after No. 1 and 2, the pickings start getting slimmer in a hurry. All of the teams have blemishes. The committee could have made UNI No. 8 but didn't. The Jacks' 4-point road loss to USD was bad but not terrible. The fact that the Jacks stayed in the top 8 after its third conference loss attests to the strength of the Missouri Valley.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Today the Jacks are the same team that kicked UNI's a** one week ago. The Jacks scored all 31 points after Pierre got hurt. I don't think the committee can ignore that recent of a beat-down. Plus, since CJ was a game-time decision yesterday, he should be a lock to play in two weeks. And Pierre has a chance as well. When you combine all that with the Jacks ranking quite a bit higher in both the Sagarin and Massey ratings, winning one more conference game wasn't that significant for UNI. Especially when they played WIU while we played SIU. That being said, UNI probably deserved the #8 seed over the team that ended up getting it. I think the committee finally realizes that many of those two loss teams in weak conferences are likely .500 teams or worse in the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Today the Jacks are the same team that kicked UNI's a** one week ago. The Jacks scored all 31 points after Pierre got hurt. I don't think the committee can ignore that recent of a beat-down. Plus, since CJ was a game-time decision yesterday, he should be a lock to play in two weeks. And Pierre has a chance as well. When you combine all that with the Jacks ranking quite a bit higher in both the Sagarin and Massey ratings, winning one more conference game wasn't that significant for UNI. Especially when they played WIU while we played SIU. That being said, UNI probably deserved the #8 seed over the team that ended up getting it. I think the committee finally realizes that many of those two loss teams in weak conferences are likely .500 teams or worse in the Valley.
          I was gonna say this as well. We piss pounded UNI and a majority of that beat down was minus Pierre. That result is what frustrates me so much about yesterday. No way no how should we have lost to that team.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            I was gonna say this as well. We piss pounded UNI and a majority of that beat down was minus Pierre. That result is what frustrates me so much about yesterday. No way no how should we have lost to that team.
            You could see it in eyes of USD fans, they wanted it more than us.

Comment

Tell us who deserves a 7 seed over SDSU?

Comment

Wow, we really waded through **** creek and came out smelling like roses somehow!

Comment

Their turnovers yesterday did not suggest being a top 7 team on Sat., but it's a bit of a stretch to call a 5-7 team (that was .500 in conference) a bottom team, unless you basically say the conference is divided into tertiles (feel free to run with a "the 'Yotes are 'turd-iles'" joke) with divisions of "NDSU," "playoff qualifiers," and "the bottom." However, consider that the Redbirds lost by 18 to to a Mays-less Youngstown, a team whose conference record was considerably worse than USD's, that had one more win overall than the 'Yotes, and that only lost to UNI by a touchdown.

Comment

I'm guessing the committee gave us the nod for two big reasons:

1. We've been to the semis the past 2 years.
                    2. We've been riddled with injuries at the skill positions this year.

And yes, Illinois State getting pounded by a YSU team that looked like they had already mailed it in for the year was probably the deciding factor.

Let's enjoy we came out on the fortunate side of the seeding discussion this time around. That doesn't happen too often. Go USD (the other one).

Comment

Ok. Let's not look at records then. UNI lost to 2 playoff teams for their 2 losses. SDSU lost to 1 playoff team, 1 middle of the road teams, and 1 bottom team.
                      Am I missing something? ISUr is also a playoff team. So SDSU just has a bad lost to USD versus UNI's losses.

SDSU also played a top 10 FBS team to the gun. UNI's ISU(RG??) loss doesn't look as good as SDSU's Minn loss. Take into account how UNI looked versus both NDSU and SDSU, it is hard to give UNI the edge. You can't really look at just records at any level. If you do, then KSU and CCSU are top 4 seeds.
                      Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                      -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Fun to see all the whining over on the UNI Panther Board! Hope we get another opportunity to destroy them in Brookings if they get by San Diego!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                          Fun to see all the whining over on the UNI Panther Board! Hope we get another opportunity to destroy them in Brookings if they get by San Diego!
                          38-7.

Comment

I too find the panther whining pretty comical. There is definitely a legitimate argument for UNI to be seeded above us. But there is an equally legit argument for us to be seeded ahead of them. We have two top 25 wins, while they have one. We have two top 25 losses, while they have 3. We each have one FBS loss. We beat them head to head a week ago by 31 points. We definitely got help from the committee and I'll be the first to say it. But I think their reasoning that this is the biggest screw job of all time is bs. They had an argument and we had an argument. Personally, I think Wofford and Nova got jobbed too. The last two seeds were a crap shoot between about 5 teams that have been pretty inconsistent this year. We had as many or more top 25 wins than the other teams, and a head to head win over one of the other teams from that group. It's not hard to figure out how we ended up with the seed over the Panthers. And there would have been fair justification of they got it over us too.

Personally, nothing would make me happier than pounding them into a pulp again after all this grandstanding from their fans. Best way to prove the committee got it right is to March straight into the quarterfinals.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                              I too find the panther whining pretty comical. There is definitely a legitimate argument for UNI to be seeded above us. But there is an equally legit argument for us to be seeded ahead of them. We have two top 25 wins, while they have one. We have two top 25 losses, while they have 3. We each have one FBS loss. We beat them head to head a week ago by 31 points. We definitely got help from the committee and I'll be the first to say it. But I think their reasoning that this is the biggest screw job of all time is bs. They had an argument and we had an argument. Personally, I think Wofford and Nova got jobbed too. The last two seeds were a crap shoot between about 5 teams that have been pretty inconsistent this year. We had as many or more top 25 wins than the other teams, and a head to head win over one of the other teams from that group. It's not hard to figure out how we ended up with the seed over the Panthers. And there would have been fair justification of they got it over us too.

Personally, nothing would make me happier than pounding them into a pulp again after all this grandstanding from their fans. Best way to prove the committee got it right is to March straight into the quarterfinals.
                              Maybe its me but I hate having to play a good team so close again after beating them last time. Usually it doesn't go well the 2nd time. Like when we lost to UNI and last time played them in the play offs beat them. Its hard to beat a good team twice in 1 season.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                Maybe its me but I hate having to play a good team so close again after beating them last time. Usually it doesn't go well the 2nd time. Like when we lost to UNI and last time played them in the play offs beat them. Its hard to beat a good team twice in 1 season.
                                I agree with that. I think itll be a difficult game for sure. I'd be surprised if it went the same way. My point was that it would be hilarious if it did. I'm not expecting a blowout, but if the Jackrabbits were on the right side of it, it would make me smile.

Comment

Working...
                                X