NDSU Post-Game Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU Post-Game Comments

Take the s***-posting to a smack thread, people.

You know who you are.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just want to let everyone know how great a time all of us had in Brookings on Saturday. We hit Gameday at the open, tailgated the rest of the day, then watched one of the more epic games between the schools on a literally perfect October day. Doubt we get out of there with the "W" if you didn't lose your QB.

Couple of random questions about the tailgate:

1. No one even attempted to enforce the wristband thing in our NDSU area. I can't really figure out how the expect to police that.
      2. What is up with the hard liquor ban? Granted, it did not stop any of us as we simply had it in our heated tents, but kind of strange and again, impossible to enforce.
      3. What can't you have a beer after the game? Again, did not stop us, but I finally appreciate why everyone on here rips the dumb tailgating rules.

To me, you either have tailgating or you don't. You can make a million rules and someone will still do something stupid......

Comment

I'm singling out the post from "Jacks" (post 21 in this thread) and congratulating Jacks for what may have been the first time in the history of fan message boards that the word having the intended meaning "of little or no practical value, meaning, or relevance; purely academic" was spelled correctly.

Originally posted by Jacks View Post
        ...Until we beat them in the playoffs, point is moot,...
        For those who intend to use the word "moot" but persist in spelling it "mute", carry on. There are some funny posts when one applies the meaning of "mute" to a sentence that was intended to use the word "moot".

Brought to you by today's curmudgeon, me.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
          Anyone have an info on Gibbs?
          I have no info, but I didn't like Stig's tone or choice of words in his weekly update to date when asked about Gibbs. He said something to the effect of hoping and praying that hell be able to play more football for the Jacks this season...

Now, those are just his words, and that's me reading into it, but it doesn't make me feel as confident as if he'd have said "We don't know yet, but we're hoping to get him back sooner than later" or something to that effect. Hoping and praying that he'll be able to play again this fall isn't a good tone.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but if Gibbs is out the remainder of the regular season, I think a seed is going to be very difficult. Either Heide grows into the starting role enough to give us a solid passing threat, or we can become Montana State and have an LB throw it three times a game... I think we can get by MSU without a strong passing game, but I don't know if we can get by ISUR or UNI without one. I didn't feel great about any new Jack's QB playing in the dome this year, and I feel even worse about it if its Nelson or Heide*.

Maybe Gibbs will be fine and come back in a week or two. I sure hope so. But if he doesn't, I think the potential of this team has to be tempered a bit. And I know that our QB2 and QB3 still has us in a position to win Saturday against NDSU, but I think that was a more of a fluke than it was our depth at the position keeping us in it.

Heide has to be our best bet going forward, right? If he can get some reps and develop into a game manager, we could stay on track. He's the better passer, but he's so young. He showed some poise in Q4 on Saturday though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            I have no info, but I didn't like Stig's tone or choice of words in his weekly update to date when asked about Gibbs. He said something to the effect of hoping and praying that hell be able to play more football for the Jacks this season...

Now, those are just his words, and that's me reading into it, but it doesn't make me feel as confident as if he'd have said "We don't know yet, but we're hoping to get him back sooner than later" or something to that effect. Hoping and praying that he'll be able to play again this fall isn't a good tone.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but if Gibbs is out the remainder of the regular season, I think a seed is going to be very difficult. Either Heide grows into the starting role enough to give us a solid passing threat, or we can become Montana State and have an LB throw it three times a game... I think we can get by MSU without a strong passing game, but I don't know if we can get by ISUR or UNI without one. I didn't feel great about any new Jack's QB playing in the dome this year, and I feel even worse about it if its Nelson or Heide*.

Maybe Gibbs will be fine and come back in a week or two. I sure hope so. But if he doesn't, I think the potential of this team has to be tempered a bit. And I know that our QB2 and QB3 still has us in a position to win Saturday against NDSU, but I think that was a more of a fluke than it was our depth at the position keeping us in it.

Heide has to be our best bet going forward, right? If he can get some reps and develop into a game manager, we could stay on track. He's the better passer, but he's so young. He showed some poise in Q4 on Saturday though.

I thought the exact same thing from listening to Stigs weekly update. Tough break if he is out for a while, kid seems to be able to handle adversity pretty well though. I think it has to be Heide going forward if Gibbs is out. Nelson plays hard and is a good runner, but there has to be some kind of a passing threat. After seeing both play, Heide look to give us the best chance of a deep playoff run if Gibbs is out for the long term.

Comment

Gibbs is out this week. Stig said who starts is up to Lujan. I believe Gibbs is having an MRI tomorrow from Stig’s interview with KWSN. I didn’t hear any questions about Gibbs on the coaches show but I did miss the first 10 minutes. Anyone hear anything?

If Gibbs is out long term our national championship chances are zero, IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks View Post
                “Gap is closing” was probably the wrong thing to say. What I should have said was that we have raised our bar in terms on field talent and coaching are getting to a point where their fans see us as a true threat. Until we beat them in the playoffs, point is moot, but to not notice that we look like we belong on the same field as them, as opposed to 3+ years ago, is being a little blind.
                There is a certain following in Fargo that plans there their winter vacations around the annual trip to Frisco, Texas. If we beat them in the playoffs, we will ruin Bison winter vacation plans. There will be hell to pay the next fall. We would gain respect though. I think we still have improve our recruiting. We have find ways to win some of the key races.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                  Gibbs is out this week. Stig said who starts is up to Lujan. I believe Gibbs is having an MRI tomorrow from Stig’s interview with KWSN. I didn’t hear any questions about Gibbs on the coaches show but I did miss the first 10 minutes. Anyone hear anything?

If Gibbs is out long term our national championship chances are zero, IMO
                  Injuries can happen to other teams, and I'll never say the chances are zero when Backhaus, Rozeboom, Earith, Ogunrinde, Strong, Janke, and Johnson are playing (not to mention players like Wilson and Krolikowski, who are recovering from injuries).

Gibbs' injury is a considerable setback, but let's not start talking like they've already lost to the Redbirds, Panthers, and/or 'Yotes. I hope Heide lights up the Bears and then fans reject the "Chicken Little Syndrome" and rock DJD the last two home games.

Also, if Lujan's the one who helped prompt the switch to Heide in Marker Game, he deserves a raise. Nothing against Nelson, but the offense was more dynamic with Heide.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    There is a certain following in Fargo that plans there their winter vacations around the annual trip to Frisco, Texas. If we beat them in the playoffs, we will ruin Bison winter vacation plans. There will be hell to pay the next fall. We would gain respect though. I think we still have improve our recruiting. We have find ways to win some of the key races.
                    I agree with this. Anytime I hear of a NDSU player that came from a town closer to Brooking than Fargo I think WTH? I know that is way to simplistic of a view. Did we want Trey Lance, the kids from Castlewood and Watertown, IDK? It would be interesting to know how many the Bison get from "our" backyard and how many we get from theirs when both schools offer?

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                      I agree with this. Anytime I hear of a NDSU player that came from a town closer to Brooking than Fargo I think WTH? I know that is way to simplistic of a view. Did we want Trey Lance, the kids from Castlewood and Watertown, IDK? It would be interesting to know how many the Bison get from "our" backyard and how many we get from theirs when both schools offer?
                      Lance reportedly received offer from SDSU, and Waege allegedly received interest.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                        Injuries can happen to other teams, and I'll never say the chances are zero when Backhaus, Rozeboom, Earith, Ogunrinde, Strong, Janke, and Johnson are playing (not to mention players like Wilson and Krolikowski, who are recovering from injuries).

Gibbs' injury is a considerable setback, but let's not start talking like they've already lost to the Redbirds, Panthers, and/or 'Yotes. I hope Heide lights up the Bears and then fans reject the "Chicken Little Syndrome" and rock DJD the last two home games.

Also, if Lujan's the one who helped prompt the switch to Heide in Marker Game, he deserves a raise. Nothing against Nelson, but the offense was more dynamic with Heide.
                        Ok maybe it’s not zero but it definitely takes a big hit obviously. It’s hard to not be pessimistic about it. If only Walding had never quit the team. He would’ve gotten quite a bit of playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                          Ok maybe it’s not zero but it definitely takes a big hit obviously. It’s hard to not be pessimistic about it. If only Walding had never quit the team. He would’ve gotten quite a bit of playing time.
                          I still feel like the post was written as if Jacks just lost to the Bears. There's way too much season left to "fold" on the playoff chances.

We need to show up as fans not start holiday wassailing over lost Waldings a couple months early.

Comment

Rewatched the game via the KLVY feed up on YouTube. Couple thoughts:

1) We are a really good team and if we can get Gibbs back, we definitely have a shot at Frisco.

2) If we can't get Gibbs back, I think we need to go with Heide. The offense was just better with him out there. In fairness to Nelson, a few of his incompletions were straight up drops, but the offense seemed to flow better with 13 back there. He played with some moxy, and that might be enough to keep us on track. He's got good running ability and is tough (not that Nelson isn't). And he has the potential to be able to throw a little better. I can see us leaning on the d and the run game and sprinkling in 15 to 20 pass attempts per game to keep the d honest and winning our remaining games. I think that if it isn't Gibbs, its Heide.

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/argusmatt...17245474807808

This isn't sounding good. We'll see, but I'm thinking its next man up.

Comment

We will be riding the Heide train the rest of the season. Drop down to 12 credits if you aren't already son - you are going to need some extra time in the film room!

Comment

Working...
                                X