College GameDay Celebrity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: College GameDay Celebrity

Kevin Costner, sports fan, filmed Dances With Wolves in South Dakota, still owns property in the Hills.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      Won't ESPN want it to be someone the 99% of viewers that are non-SDSU fans will recognize?
      I would say yes

Comment

I was trying to find a list of their Celebrities on the show, but wasn't able to come across one. I feel like a lot of times they are unrelated to the University, but just a celebrity who happens to be near the area on tour, set, etc. Hopefully we get a celebrity with a local tie.

Next you have to think who is available? Who is able to travel to Brookings on relatively short notice? Who is recognizable?

Chad Greenway would be great, but he has 4 young daughters, one or two of which travel a lot for youth soccer. Who knows what his family already has committed to for this weekend?
        Any current NFL players would be out unless they are on a bye week, and they haven't already scheduled their own mini vacation or whatever they do during their bye.
        Who knows if Lesnar has upset too many people at ESPN or not over the years? Obviously would be a cool get.
        I doubt they'd take the Daktronics angle, but they could certainly do a feature on Brookings and Daktronics and then get Kurtenbach - could work.
        Mike Miller I've seen mentioned, that would probably be a no. I'm guessing he is extremely busy preparing for Memphis basketball season and maybe even hosting recruits if Memphis has a home football game.
        Any concerts that are within a state radius of here on Friday or Saturday night that could have somebody fly in on their private jet quick? When Iowa State had it a few weeks ago, they had Eric Church - he had a concert in Green Bay on Friday and Saturday evening, was a frequent friend of the show. Kind of upset lots of Iowa people who were hoping for their local celebrity, just like we are too.

I'll throw out one completely random name I haven't seen mentioned yet... Kirk Hinrich... Pretty well known from his KU and NBA days and lives in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Won't ESPN want it to be someone the 99% of viewers that are non-SDSU fans will recognize?
          Not necessarily. They've had former athletes from schools on that are really only known to the school itself. UW had a former women's soccer player on for picks before. I just hope we don't get a Brock Lesnar/January Jones type that doesn't have any ties to SDSU and/or has publicly dissed SD before. And I really hope we don't have someone random like the Chainsmokers or whatever boy band is the flavor of the month.

Comment

Yes. Which is why I'm saying Greenway or Lesnar.

I doubt ESPN cares whether or not they went to SDSU. It's about interest and ratings to them.

Comment

Politics aside, Gov. Kristi Noem might be a good possibility. She's an SDSU graduate from eastern South Dakota. Another former SDSU multi-sport great who also deserves attention is Wayne Rasmussen. He led the Jacks to a D-2 national championship in basketball in the the 1960s, then played defensive back for the Detroit Lions for about eight seasons. He worked as a executive at Citibank in Sioux Falls after his pro career, then retired to hunt and fish.
              This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                Politics aside, Gov. Kristi Noem might be a good possibility. She's an SDSU graduate from eastern South Dakota. Another former SDSU multi-sport great who also deserves attention is Wayne Rasmussen. He led the Jacks to a D-2 national championship in basketball in the the 1960s, then played defensive back for the Detroit Lions for about eight seasons. He worked as a executive at Citibank in Sioux Falls after his pro career, then retired to hunt and fish.
                This would tie in well with my "Our Governor is hotter than yours" sign...

Comment

I think so too. This is why I think Miller would be high on the likelihood list. Like it or not, he is the most recognizable sports figure from South Dakota. Miller would also add an SEC component to the mix to keep the "big" school fans interested.

Whether or not he could make it work in his schedule, or whether he would be interested, are entirely different matters.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

They claim Deadwood as a place they hung out before hitting it big and rich...and it is the theme song.
                    https://youtu.be/d5LlkvWexvA
                    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                      They claim Deadwood as a place they hung out before hitting it big and rich...and it is the theme song.
                      https://youtu.be/d5LlkvWexvA
                      Big Kenny is still an investor in the Deadwood Mountain Grand. They are both in Deadwood at least a couple times a year to hang out.

Costner would be fine. He isn't around as much since the Midnight Star closed, but I've seen him at the Alex Johnson a couple times and is a pleasant guy. Greenway would be preferable to Miller or Lesnar. Goedert and Wentz would be great if they just did a live feed with them.

Comment

Blake Treinen
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
                          Big Kenny is still an investor in the Deadwood Mountain Grand. They are both in Deadwood at least a couple times a year to hang out.

Costner would be fine. He isn't around as much since the Midnight Star closed, but I've seen him at the Alex Johnson a couple times and is a pleasant guy. Greenway would be preferable to Miller or Lesnar. Goedert and Wentz would be great if they just did a live feed with them.
                          A Goedert/Wentz interview together would be cool.
                          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Pete Retzlaff? Originally from ND. Played at SDSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tom Brokaw
                              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                                Tom Brokaw
                                USD grad...yeah no please.

Comment

Working...
                                X