2019 MVFC week 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 MVFC week 3

I have been watching USD at UNI for several minutes (right now, it's 1:50 left in the first quarter) and the defensive back on both teams are playing very poorly although I would give USD's backs a slightly better grade than UNI's D backs. If what I have been watching in the first quarter continues, this should be a very high scoring affair and I wouldn't want to hazard a guess about which undeserving teams walks away with a W.

Geez, UNI punts, USD receiver drops it, UNI ball on the 18 with time running out in the first quarter. At the end of 1 quarter, USD 21, UNI 14. Not stellar play by either team.

LOL, turnover by UNI on the first play of the second quarter -- ill-advised pass after the play was breaking down, and USD itercepted on about the 2. Plus, UNI called for an illegal receiver downfield -- of course, penalty declined. Two plays later, UNI intercepts USD and goes for a TD. Score now 21-21. And then, after the TD, USD's starting running back, #2 Ky Henry, caught on a flagrant foul and is ejected. Nice move by that guy...USD will sorely miss him in this game. On that ejection, I'll call this game for UNI, 42-28.

I'm facing a tough choice: rake leaves in the back yard or watch more of this debacle.
    Last edited by JackJD; 10-19-2019, 04:04 PM.

Re: 2019 MVFC week 3

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    I have been watching USD at UNI for several minutes (right now, it's 1:50 left in the first quarter) and the defensive back on both teams are playing very poorly although I would give USD's backs a slightly better grade than UNI's D backs. If what I have been watching in the first quarter continues, this should be a very high scoring affair and I wouldn't want to hazard a guess about which undeserving teams walks away with a W.

Geez, UNI punts, USD receiver drops it, UNI ball on the 18 with time running out in the first quarter. At the end of 1 quarter, USD 21, UNI 14. Not stellar play by either team.

LOL, turnover by UNI on the first play of the second quarter -- ill-advised pass after the play was breaking down, and USD itercepted on about the 2. Plus, UNI called for an illegal receiver downfield. Two plays later, UNI intercepts USD and goes for a TD. 21-21. And then, after the play, USD #2, Henri the running back, called for a flagrant foul and is ejected.

I may have to keep watching this debacle. Neither team wants to win.
    Cheap move by #2. Really wasn’t much contact.

Comment

UNI looks gassed on D. Out of position and USD O Line I creating huge holes on some of those run plays. Feels like Panthers are just hanging on.

Comment

Penguins go down to SIU. We needed the Guins to win that one.

Comment

At the half, USD 24, UNI 21.

Final scores:
          YSU 10, SIU 35
          MSU 0, NDSU 22
          SDSU 42, Indiana State 23
          Illinois State 28, WIU 14

Comment

With 3:24 left in the game, its USD 27, UNI 42. UNI's defense has problems tackling. They continue to give USD a chance and are allowing big 3rd and long plays.

Midco had a "Team Stats" display with about 1:14 left in the game. Here's an interesting one: time of possession was 34:59 USD compared to 22:18 UNI. Looks like the final score will be 42-27. How does one reconcile the time of possession with the score?

...with :42 left on the clock, Simmons tosses another interception. UNI taking knees. The final will be USD 27, UNI 42.
            Last edited by JackJD; 10-19-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Can't remember where I read it but time of possession doesn't really have a positive correlation with winning. It's one of those old clichés that doesn't really hold up when actually looked at.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                Can't remember where I read it but time of possession doesn't really have a positive correlation with winning. It's one of those old clichés that doesn't really hold up when actually looked at.
                Game results seem to prove there's no correlation between which team wins and time of possession. Even so, it's an interesting stat. The part of the USD v UNI game I watched showed UNI scoring quickly when it got the ball.

Comment

Attendance for the MVFC third weekend:

Illinois State (W) at WIU, 2,984
                  SDSU (W) at Indiana State, 4,642
                  YSU at SIU (W) 7,670
                  MSU at NDSU (W) 18,252
                  USD at UNI (W) 10,201
                  Last edited by JackJD; 10-19-2019, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Game results seem to prove there's no correlation between which team wins and time of possession. Even so, it's an interesting stat. The part of the USD v UNI game I watched showed UNI scoring quickly when it got the ball.
                    The Yotes also out first-downed UNI 27-11. Scoring 42 points on 11 first downs is pretty efficient.

Comment

Attendance for the MVFC third weekend:

Illinois State (W) at WIU, 2,984
                      SDSU (W) at Indiana State, 4,642
                      YSU at SIU (W) 7,670
                      MSU at NDSU (W) 18,252
                      USD at UNI (W) ________ (not reported yet -- will add)
                      10201attendance second best. Per gocoyotes statistics

Added by JackJD: That's correct. Thanks. I kept checking the UNI site but it still hasn't posted the usual box score. USD's site had it.
                      Last edited by JackJD; 10-19-2019, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        The Yotes also out first-downed UNI 27-11. Scoring 42 points on 11 first downs is pretty efficient.
                        I was looking at the scoring drives. Two of USD scoring drives were for 17 and 13 plays, UNI score about 3 times on 3 plays. As JackJD said UNI scored quickly.

Comment

Eh, I tried to find what I read and couldn't find it. I could be just delirious and making things up at this point *shrug*
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            Eh, I tried to find what I read and couldn't find it. I could be just delirious and making things up at this point *shrug*
                            I’m guessing your right but the importance of that stat is tied to the type of team. For a team like the Bison who generally want to wear a team down and grind them into the turf in the 4th qtr it’s an important stat. For a team like we’ve been the last few years where we score quick and score lots I’ll bet we weren’t always winning the TOP but still winning lots of games.

Comment

Agreed on TOP. What is usually tells us is why a team's defense is worn out.

Comment

Working...
                              X