Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: GDT: @ YSU Penguins

Default Re: GDT: @ YSU Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by AZjack View Post
    Agree 100%. Go for 2 more and go for it on 4th down more, especially with our run game in short yardage.

The analytics are pretty clear on these 2 things that coaches should be more aggressive with their usage.
    I agree. And I'll add this: When you win the coin flip, take the ball. It might get you an extra possession each game.
    This space for lease.

Until Stig retires, the card will be used. End of discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    Until Stig retires, the card will be used. End of discussion
    Thats is fine, it's his decision but I didn't realize it was strictly based on a chart. It takes the emotion out and that isn't all bad. I was not a fan of the first 2 ppoint attempt because it was so early in the game and that is probably the conventional wisdom, but I enjoy the discussion of the pros and cons, as long as it stays respectful, and am open minded enough to maybe even learn something. I am sure that by now Stig's chart is pretty refined by statistics and analytics and honestly by the way the game worked out, if we had converted it, we would have had a 4 point lead going into our last drive and they would have had to score a touchdown to beat us if they got the ball back. If we kicked two 2 point conversions, we still have a 3 point lead, so there was no downside, only upside. Aggressiveness can be contagious too.

Just because they use the card doesn't mean the card is right. just means they use it. Discussing the merits of going for 2 seems more then reasonable considering it was a factor in the game. I'm fine with going for 2 but it needs to make sense for the score and time.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nidaros View Post
    Those short run plays featuring CW Wilson worked the second half but not in the first half. I believe in the last TD drive they ran the same CW at least eight times and YSU was apparently winded by then. I find it hard to believe CW only got 48 yards on the ground. Apparently he had negative yardage at half time.
    Yes I mean CJ Wilson. Thanks for the correction and rep points Old Hare.

since we're back to talking about the card, I decided to look up if it actually made a difference, just the last game anyway, it did not, we made one 2 Pt conversion ,and failed on one....worked out the same as if we'd of just kicked all the x-tra points...kind of ironic.One thing I wonder about though, does it make you keep on going for it if you keep missing?