Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Penguin Week: 10/12 @ YSU

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Agreed. I do think our defensive depth is going to help stay fresh Kate in the year, but it's a concerning trend. We don't even need to see a lot more production in terms of points or yards from this offense, but we need longer drives, fewer 3 and out, and fewer false starts that put us behind the chains. I mentioned after the UM game, but if you look at this team and Eck''s Mankato team, winning games 55-21 didn't seem to be the M.O. When this offense is clicking, I think we will see longer drives with the play action TE game involved, and I doubt we put 40 or more on the board more than once this year. And that's okay. But right now, we've been having a lot of five play or fewer drives, frought with penalties in the first half. Then in the second half, we have some explosive plays to blow the game open and we salt it away in the fourth. It doesn't seem sustainable, and it's going to catch up to us soon if we don't start consistently moving the ball in the first half. And I think most of those issues stem from the O line.

I have faith that we're going to see them take a step forward this week. J'Bore should be getting healthier and will have there games and moth of in-season practice reps by this weekend. It would be a good time to hit our stride.
    Spot on. I feel like if it wasn't so windy on Saturday, we would have seen the passing game and the offense as a whole take another step forward and we probably would have scored 40+. However, I do feel like our O line is our biggest issue at this point. It's not that they're bad, just inconsistent. YSU will be a big test for this team, clearly the best team we will have played since the Gophers. Hopefully at this point in the season the kinks have been worked out. We're past Hobo Day and the bye week. Time to get into a rhythm.

Comment

One thing I'm thinking now and went and checked out. YSU really shut down UNI's running game (because they only rushed for 99 yards). However, I checked and UNI has only ran for 34, 105, 103, and 165 in their other four games. It is not the usual UNI power running game we are used to. They still rush it over 30 times per game though. Of note, that 105 yard rushing game was against Southern Utah who the Jacks rushed for 241 yards against.

I think YSU can be had on the ground this season. Howard went for 133, Duquesne 137, and Robert Morris 164.
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        One thing I'm thinking now and went and checked out. YSU really shut down UNI's running game (because they only rushed for 99 yards). However, I checked and UNI has only ran for 34, 105, 103, and 165 in their other four games. It is not the usual UNI power running game we are used to. They still rush it over 30 times per game though. Of note, that 105 yard rushing game was against Southern Utah who the Jacks rushed for 241 yards against.

I think YSU can be had on the ground this season. Howard went for 133, Duquesne 137, and Robert Morris 164.
        My concern with YSU is that they seem to have a fast front 7 and that does not bode well for our stretch and sweeps. The line is going to need to be able to stay on their blocks for a couple beats longer without holding for Gone Jr and CJ to have success.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

It doesn't help UNI's running game that their top two TE's are out for the season.

Comment

YSU perspective: https://www.vindy.com/sports/ysu-spo...details-right/

Mays is listed as day-to-day.

Comment

I have to admit, as the week wears on, I feel less and less confident in the Jacks getting a win on Saturday. YSU is coming off a loss and will be refocused and ready to protect their home field. There are a lot of excuses that may or may not be valid, but we just haven't quite looked the part for four consecutive weeks against sub-par competition on offense. Our loss to Minnesota is still the best we've played on that side of the ball. Maybe we return to that mode with conference play heating up. We definitely haven't been opening up the playbook the last few weeks, to be fair.

But we also haven't been executing at a high level or on a consistent basis. If we put it all together this weekend, I'll feel more optimistic for our potential for a deep playoff run. But four games of lackluster/inconsistent O-Line play begins to look like a trend, and I think it catches up to us on Saturday.

Sorry for the negative take, but this just feels like our annual "stinker" game to me. I'll be very happy to eat crow Saturday night though.

If we can put drives together in the first quarter and remain consistent throughout the game vs one of the better defenses in the Valley, I think that will go a long ways to settling some of those consistency questions.

If we win, it feels like a 24-10 type game.
              If we lose, I'd guess it'll be a 21-9 type score

Comment

Actually, I feel confident they will put things together this week. First of all, the team seems pretty healthy. Plus, this is the second week after the bye week. They've had time to be working on details. They know this is the start of the real grind in the conference.

This team has the tools to make it happen on the road. It starts on the line on both sides of the ball. Being the more physical team gives our RB's the holes they need to make big plays and the lanes for the LB's to make stops.

Looking forward to see how Gibbs has progressed in his decision making. Can't have the critical errors that really hurt in the gopher game.

Simple right?

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

as the saying goes...Defense travels

Comment

And Gibbs' throwing hand is getting a little better each week.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

As Zimmer highlighted in his most recent article, the Jacks have been able to sleep in their own beds for 5 weeks, which is simply unheard of during the regular season. Add in the fact that 1 of those weeks was a bye and the other 4 were games that weren't difficult... We should definitely be well rested. YSU on the other hand just got done with a trip to Cedar Falls where they had a tough, physical game. I think this plays a big factor.

This may be optimistic, but I think our guys get focused and get up for a ranked opponent and put together a complete game. I'm going with a final score of 24-10. I like Jacks -7. I also really like Under 49.5. I don't see them scoring more than 17, and even if they reach that, we would have to score 33 just to put the total over.

Comment

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...niversity.html

Here is what I'm watching.

Can YSU's defensive line control the line of scrimmage?
                        SDSU's big receivers should dominate against YSU's small and very average secondary (outside of Bryce Gibson)
                        Will the weather be a factor?
                        SDSU's run defense vs. YSU's power run game

Comment

According to My UTV schedule, there will be television coverage.

http://www.my-utv.com/home/program-schedule/
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

According to the YSU fan forum their starting QB Mays is out for the game. If true we should really be able to stack up against the run. With the depth we have in our d-line and the talent we have at linebacker I just don't see YSU being able to run against us with any consistency. As long as turnovers don't hurt us I think we keep YSU under 20 points. YSU does have a stout defense but feel that we will be able to hit enough big plays to score more than 21. I'm taking the jacks 27-10.

Comment

Weather wise the forecast looks for rain to be done by noon, sun out by 3, gametime temp low/mid 50's dropping to mid 40's by the end. Wind will be dying down from 10mph to 5mph by the end of the game. Honestly this is perfect October football weather. Our D is deep, nasty and playing very well. I see that trend continuing, especially against a QB with his first start. The offense should do well too, particularly up the middle where some good runs could open up a TE on a PA pass.

I'm feeling more and more confident in this one, 38-10. Just keeping it at the under for you Cappin'.

Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I like us in this match up. Youngtown isn't a flashy team. I think our O lines weakness isn't physicality its complicated fronts, blitz's and stunts. I bet our Defense and Running game travels and oh we have Cade to take the top off.
                                Jacks 28-10
                                Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Working...
                                X