Penguin Week: 10/12 @ YSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penguin Week: 10/12 @ YSU

No time like the present to start getting over that hangover.

It sounds like the YSU QB, Mayes, went down with a leg injury late in their game with UNI. Anyone have any update on his status?

I have to think that their offensive strength of running between the tackles will play into our Defensive strength. But I'm concerned about their play action beating us down the field if Mayes is playing.

On D, they appear to be pretty stout and will test our inconsistent O line. I'm also curious to see how J'Bore handles a game on the road against a good conference team. The forecast right now is callin for mild temps in the 60's and a chance for showers.

This is a huge game to really guage where this team is at. YSU should still be ranked in the top 25, and will likely be a playoff team, barring a major collapse. They're 4-1, with UNI behind them now. They still have us, NDSU, and ISUr, but their non-conference schedule has given them some insurance. Should be a decent crowd on hand too.

In the preseason, I had this game pegged as a loss. I'm not sure how I feel about it now. If Mayes is out, our chances probably go way up. If he plays, this is going to be a tough one. In 2017, they used a power running game and just enough play action to hold onto the ball for nearly 40 minutes and grind us down to a pulp. If we can't get off the field on D, and if our O can't establish some good ball control scoring drives, I'd expect more of the same. But our D this year is playing at a higher level than that D in 2017, so who knows.

We are historically underwhelming in early-mid October, so this is a great chance to buck that trend and roll into the back half of the month at 2-0 in conference.

Re: Penguin Week: 10/12 @ YSU

Also, it appears that YSU will not be providing any internal video feed for this game, so if ESPN+ has issues again, it looks like it's the radio feed or bust. I'm nervous because this game is also contracted with UTV, just like Saturday's game vs SIU. However, the feed will be through a local Youngstown station, so maybe it'll be a non-issue this time. That was frustrating last week and really inexcusable. I've never had trouble with the Youngstown feed before, so hopefully it's cleaned up this weekend.

Comment

I believe MyUTV, which is affiliated with KELOLAND-TV, will be carrying the game.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        I believe MyUTV, which is affiliated with KELOLAND-TV, will be carrying the game.
        There go my hopes for watching it on ESPN+ !

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          Correct. If you don't have KELO or CW-Black Hills, ESPN+ is the only option. If ESPN+ gets their feed through the Youngstown guys, it's probably no issue. If it's through MyUTV again, it could be an issue.

Comment

It shows TuneIn on the GoJacks site.
            https://gojacks.com/schedule.aspx?path=football
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

https://gojacks.com/boxscore.aspx?id=8554&path=football

Team stats from the 2017 loss to YSU. The time of possession line is kind of incredible: 45 minutes to 15 minutes, and over 300 yards on the ground given up. If I recall correctly, that was a game that we did not commit to running the ball, and the pass game was not clicking. That 2017 YSU team didn't make the playoffs, but I'm not sure that they weren't better than this year's iteration. The '17 Penguins had McCaster running the ball, which was a big part of their success in that game. They threw it 19 times for 14 completions and 113 yards. Primarily play action.

Last year in Brookings, the 'Guins threw for 208 yards and ran for only 136. The jacks, meanwhile, ran for 253 and passed for only 78 yards. The time of possession was much more even than in 2017, at 31 to 29, Jacks.

I still haven't seen any word on the Mays injury. Historically, he's been pretty average, but he's been having a pretty nice season this year, albeit against mostly weak opponents.

Comment

Rewatched the UNI game. Before watching it I thought this was a game we lost. After watching it, I'm not so sure. I had watched first halves of a couple of their non-conference games against inferior opponents.

They are very good along the offensive and defensive lines but their skill isn't great. Their center started for West Virgia for 2.5 years and is a really good player. Their RBs are okay, Mays is a below average starter, and their WRs are pretty pedestrian.

Defensive line they are small on the interior and it appears they are starting 4 defensive ends. Looking at their roster, they don't have the typical beef or experience at the DT that they normall do. They are quick as **** and really held UNI in check but got burned on some big passes and a fun nice runs. They are about the same size as LIU's group but much more talented. They've played the last few weeks in a 4-2-5 defense. Not sure why as the LB's who started earlier in the season are still playing, just not as much. Bryce Gibson is a nice player at corner but the rest of the secondary can be beat. Overall, they aren't as deep as they normall are.

I'll save a prediction for later but I feel better after watching the UNI game then I did before.
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                  Rewatched the UNI game. Before watching it I thought this was a game we lost. After watching it, I'm not so sure. I had watched first halves of a couple of their non-conference games against inferior opponents.

They are very good along the offensive and defensive lines but their skill isn't great. Their center started for West Virgia for 2.5 years and is a really good player. Their RBs are okay, Mays is a below average starter, and their WRs are pretty pedestrian.

Defensive line they are small on the interior and it appears they are starting 4 defensive ends. Looking at their roster, they don't have the typical beef or experience at the DT that they normall do. They are quick as **** and really held UNI in check but got burned on some big passes and a fun nice runs. They are about the same size as LIU's group but much more talented. They've played the last few weeks in a 4-2-5 defense. Not sure why as the LB's who started earlier in the season are still playing, just not as much. Bryce Gibson is a nice player at corner but the rest of the secondary can be beat. Overall, they aren't as deep as they normall are.

I'll save a prediction for later but I feel better after watching the UNI game then I did before.
                  I remember Bo liking that 4-2-5 when he was HC at Nebraska.

The guys are definitely going to need to be ready to play a physical game. Bo's teams haven't always been good, but they always seem to play really physical.

Comment

This is the game that starts the real meat of the season IMHO. So far, so good for the Jacks. We won easily on Hobo Day but didn't come away with the feeling we played great. Need to start dialing it in and really showing some consistency. This team has had some lofty expectations placed upon them and no doubt have as high if not higher expectations that they have placed on themselves. There's just no room for any slip ups. Going on the road and giving a team like YSU and their hot head coach our best game would be a really good indicator that they are locked in for the long haul.

We have shown flashes of all of the talent this team has and it is very impressive. Probably the best team we have ever put on the field. Time to put it all together and get the home field advantage and make another deep run!

GBGBGJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      This is the game that starts the real meat of the season IMHO. So far, so good for the Jacks. We won easily on Hobo Day but didn't come away with the feeling we played great. Need to start dialing it in and really showing some consistency. This team has had some lofty expectations placed upon them and no doubt have as high if not higher expectations that they have placed on themselves. There's just no room for any slip ups. Going on the road and giving a team like YSU and their hot head coach our best game would be a really good indicator that they are locked in for the long haul.

We have shown flashes of all of the talent this team has and it is very impressive. Probably the best team we have ever put on the field. Time to put it all together and get the home field advantage and make another deep run!

GBGBGJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                      Agreed. It feels like we're still waiting to put it all together. The best this offense has looked is a loss to UM. The play calling that game was also more innovative, and I have a feeling we'll see the playbook open up a little more Saturday than we have the last month.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                        Team stats from the 2017 loss to YSU. The time of possession line is kind of incredible: 45 minutes to 15 minutes
                        #triggered...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                          Agreed. It feels like we're still waiting to put it all together. The best this offense has looked is a loss to UM. The play calling that game was also more innovative, and I have a feeling we'll see the playbook open up a little more Saturday than we have the last month.
                          I am wanting to see a little more urgency from kickoff. It doesn't seem that the team really hits it's stride until the 2nd half, and that just won't work against the better teams in the conference. The offense isn't clicking well enough to come back from bigger deficits at the moment. My worry is that we lean on the defense for the entire regular season and they are spent by the playoffs.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            I am wanting to see a little more urgency from kickoff. It doesn't seem that the team really hits it's stride until the 2nd half, and that just won't work against the better teams in the conference. The offense isn't clicking well enough to come back from bigger deficits at the moment. My worry is that we lean on the defense for the entire regular season and they are spent by the playoffs.
                            Agreed. I do think our defensive depth is going to help stay fresh Kate in the year, but it's a concerning trend. We don't even need to see a lot more production in terms of points or yards from this offense, but we need longer drives, fewer 3 and out, and fewer false starts that put us behind the chains. I mentioned after the UM game, but if you look at this team and Eck''s Mankato team, winning games 55-21 didn't seem to be the M.O. When this offense is clicking, I think we will see longer drives with the play action TE game involved, and I doubt we put 40 or more on the board more than once this year. And that's okay. But right now, we've been having a lot of five play or fewer drives, frought with penalties in the first half. Then in the second half, we have some explosive plays to blow the game open and we salt it away in the fourth. It doesn't seem sustainable, and it's going to catch up to us soon if we don't start consistently moving the ball in the first half. And I think most of those issues stem from the O line.

I have faith that we're going to see them take a step forward this week. J'Bore should be getting healthier and will have there games and moth of in-season practice reps by this weekend. It would be a good time to hit our stride.

Comment

Listening to Stig on KWSN...
                              -Stig just said there were 27 physical errors on the offensive line against SIU. 120 mental errors on the whole team.
                              -Defense is very good
                              -LB corp one of the best we've ever had.
                              -Pierre Strong (229 yards)- Best vision of any back he's been around. Good at setting up for cuts. Eck said "ride this guy, he's hot". Had just as many plays for CJ in the game plan as we had for Pierre. Very humble. Will still be a game to game basis in terms of the game plan. CJ and Pierre are totally different players and will continue to lose both.
                              -Attendance: Peforma banked on 17,000 people in attendance for Hobo Day. Simply being thankful in most recent tweet. "Do we need more there? Duh!" Benefits players and administration.

YSU:
                              -Coach Pellini always has a good defense. Very athletic. DL can move. Very good coach.
                              -Offensively they want to run the ball. Mays' status unknown.
                              -Dropped pass for YSU cost them the game against UNI.
                              -We have to get back on the road and ready to travel.
                              -Loves visiting with Bo Pelini. Great coach. Totally different then who we see on TV. Respect.
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                              X