GDT: SIU Salukis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: SIU Salukis

The defense came to play. Wow, they were good.

The offense just isn't clicking... with that being said... Pierre ran for over 200 yards.

J'Bore just looked like a freshman today. Still he didn't turn it over...and that 1st TD pass to Janke... he stood in there and took the shot, saw it coming, and waited to deliver.
    -He's going to be good.

Teams are blitzing up the middle a lot, on early downs. In fact, I was noticing most times that Mikey was in there with Sellers, it was almost an automatic 2 LB blitz.

Growing pains for sure, but they still held the previously impressive SIU offense to 10 points, and to be fair... it probably should have been 3, and that was off the fumble from CJ.

The offense isn't bad. It's just not "clicking". I guess that's to be expected with a freshman QB, and a new playcaller. Overall, they played well enough to win, and that was all that mattered today. Obviously, going to need to play better against better teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      No sighting of the replay on ESPN+ Lost forever?
      I am sure they will make it up somehow!

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
        The defense came to play. Wow, they were good.

The offense just isn't clicking... with that being said... Pierre ran for over 200 yards.

J'Bore just looked like a freshman today. Still he didn't turn it over...and that 1st TD pass to Janke... he stood in there and took the shot, saw it coming, and waited to deliver.
        -He's going to be good.

Teams are blitzing up the middle a lot, on early downs. In fact, I was noticing most times that Mikey was in there with Sellers, it was almost an automatic 2 LB blitz.

Growing pains for sure, but they still held the previously impressive SIU offense to 10 points, and to be fair... it probably should have been 3, and that was off the fumble from CJ.

The offense isn't bad. It's just not "clicking". I guess that's to be expected with a freshman QB, and a new playcaller. Overall, they played well enough to win, and that was all that mattered today. Obviously, going to need to play better against better teams.
        The fat guys as Holy Nut Meg calls them were at times no where to be found. They need to hold the pocket a bit longer so Gibbs can find his receivers. I strongly agree, the defense came to play.

Comment

The defense seems very worthy of a top-3 ranking. The offense has a ways to go. I understand the QB issues, especially with today’s wind, but the OL deal has me a little confused.

In spite of how clunky it felt at times, we did end up winning a 19-point spread game by 18, in spite of failing on 3 PAT attempts and taking a knee on the SIU 3 yard line at the end.

Comment

1-0 in the MVFC. It a good start. Defense was impressive. Really a a poor performance by the O-line to protect Gibbs. Gibbs didn’t look great either.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I think some of the posters are failing to give much credit to SIU's defense. Those guys were tough, hard hitters and smart. They had good size and speed and played hard the entire game. SDSU has been masterful in making adjustments at halftime and they did so today. The Jacks seemed a little flat at the start but I focused on watching SIU and what appeared to be a flat start was mostly explained by the opponent being higher quality than we thought before the game started. There's a reason the MVFC is referred to as a real grind every week.

Comment

Some interesting facts in today's game program ("Welcome to Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium", The Bum, October 5, 2019, Page 1):
                LEAGUE OPENERS: South Dakota State will attempt to reverse a trend in its opening game of the Missouri Valley Football Conference schedule when it hosts Southern Illinois today. Since joining the league in 2008, the Jackrabbits are 4-7 in league openers and have lost seven of their last nine initial games against an MVFC opponent, including each of the last two.
                However, getting of to a slow start ha not hindered the Jackrabbits in making the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs each of the last seven years and eight times overall.
                SDSU is the only MVFC program to have not had a losing season in league play since 2008. SDSU has compiled a 61-27 record against MVFC opponents since joining the league, with its worst finish being back-t0-back 4-4 campaigns in 2010 and 2011.

HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS: South Dakota State has dominated the third quarter of games so far this season, outscoring the opposition by a 57-7 margin. The Jackrabbits added to that advantage by outscoring Southern Utah 15-0 in the Beef Bowl game on Sept. 21.
                SDSU's defense has yet to allow any points in the third quarter this season; the lone score by the opposition came on an interception return for touchdown by Minnesota in the Aug. 29 season opener.

On the topic of "halftime adjustments", here are the stats from today's game with SIU: In today's 28-10 win, SDSU scored 6 in the third stanza and 10 in the final. SIU was scoreless in the second half.

Comment

Kicker Chase Vinatieri missed a PAT and had a PAT attempt blocked. He made one field goal and made one PAT.

(Facts from today's game program): Prior to the game, Chase was within four points of a new Jackrabbit career record for most points via kicking. He entered the game with 318 points to his credit. Parker Douglass (2004-07) held the record at 321 followed by Justin Syrovatka (2011-14) with 319. Chase's Uncle, Adam (1991-94), had set the record at 191 points which held until Douglass's feat (sorry, bad kicking pun) during his term.

When Chase kicked the PAT following SDSU's final TD (7:02 left in the game), he passed Parker Douglass with 322 points.

Just me speculating but perhaps Chase's misses this season can be blamed at least a little on the expectation that when he completed his eligibility as a Jackrabbit, he would own the record. Check the record off. Back to just focusing on being one of the top collegiate kickers in the country. He's the all-time best at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                    The defense seems very worthy of a top-3 ranking. The offense has a ways to go. I understand the QB issues, especially with today’s wind, but the OL deal has me a little confused.

In spite of how clunky it felt at times, we did end up winning a 19-point spread game by 18, in spite of failing on 3 PAT attempts and taking a knee on the SIU 3 yard line at the end.
                    If we have a top 3 defense, we'll have a greater chance at being a top 3 team than we would with just a top 3 offense. Holding that SIU team to 10 points and barely over 200 yards of total offense is no joke. That team torched our defense last year even though we ended up pulling out the win in the end.
                    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

By the looks of all the talk about the ESPN+ stream. I'm sure most of the issue was that Midco covers 99% of the Jacks games and today they didn't. So possibly a connection/communication issue with the coverage. That being said, besides the people that cannot make the games and are watching on ESPN+ due to living long distances away from Brookings, maybe the rest of you need to get to the stadium and support our #3 ranked Rabbits! As for the game, offense was rough, OL couldn't protect Gibbs well, give the SIU D credit, they came to play. The Jacks D won that game today, fun to watch. SIU was 1 of 14 on 3rd down! They were top 10 in the nation on 3rd down coming in to the game. Big game next week at Youngstown. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                        Some interesting facts in today's game program ("Welcome to Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium", The Bum, October 5, 2019, Page 1):
                        LEAGUE OPENERS: South Dakota State will attempt to reverse a trend in its opening game of the Missouri Valley Football Conference schedule when it hosts Southern Illinois today. Since joining the league in 2008, the Jackrabbits are 4-7 in league openers and have lost seven of their last nine initial games against an MVFC opponent, including each of the last two.
                        However, getting of to a slow start ha not hindered the Jackrabbits in making the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs each of the last seven years and eight times overall.
                        SDSU is the only MVFC program to have not had a losing season in league play since 2008. SDSU has compiled a 61-27 record against MVFC opponents since joining the league, with its worst finish being back-t0-back 4-4 campaigns in 2010 and 2011.

HALFTIME ADJUSTMENTS: South Dakota State has dominated the third quarter of games so far this season, outscoring the opposition by a 57-7 margin. The Jackrabbits added to that advantage by outscoring Southern Utah 15-0 in the Beef Bowl game on Sept. 21.
                        SDSU's defense has yet to allow any points in the third quarter this season; the lone score by the opposition came on an interception return for touchdown by Minnesota in the Aug. 29 season opener.

On the topic of "halftime adjustments", here are the stats from today's game with SIU: In today's 28-10 win, SDSU scored 6 in the third stanza and 10 in the final. SIU was scoreless in the second half.
                        Interesting facts, and I am glad some one else takes time to read the program. I went back to the media guide to see who we started out with in MVFC play and three times we played NDSU and two times UNI and all were loses. If you look at the post 2008 era as a part of SDSU Football History, it is probably the best in terms of winning. We are living in a winning era.
                        Last edited by Nidaros; 10-06-2019, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          I think some of the posters are failing to give much credit to SIU's defense. Those guys were tough, hard hitters and smart. They had good size and speed and played hard the entire game. SDSU has been masterful in making adjustments at halftime and they did so today. The Jacks seemed a little flat at the start but I focused on watching SIU and what appeared to be a flat start was mostly explained by the opponent being higher quality than we thought before the game started. There's a reason the MVFC is referred to as a real grind every week.

I was impressed with SIU and they were not the pushover program that Dale Lennon left, which is hard to believe since he was a real winner at UND. Their young coach has definitely got them going in the right direction.

Comment

There was a lot to take away from yesterday''s game, both good and bad. Obviously, the D is elite. We can win several games this year with our D. But we can't make away deep playoff run on that alone. More concerning to me than the lack of production was the lack of focuses in the slow start, the penalties, and fumbles. I don't like that trend and I think it has to get ficed quick, or it'll bite us. J'Bore looked decent, not great, and he had a lot of pressure. This was a good game for him to struggle a little in, because it should hopefully provide some good film for next week. And he didn't struggle all that much, either. I'm also concerned with our feast and famine run game right now. Our inability to methically move the ball (outside of the UM game) is concerning. We need to have a run game that can consistently get 4-5 yards, not get 65+ every now and then. They'll have a very tough test next week. Right now, our inconsistent O line is probably the biggest concern this team has.

Finally, I was impressed with SIU. They were 2-2 coming into this, and from what I saw yeaterday, they could easily win 3 or 4 more games this year. They were much less air raid and a lot more physical than theyve been in the past. Their D wa's physical and we're good tacklers. And J'Bore had pressure all night. I think the Saluki will finish somewhere around 5th or 6th in the Valley, and this win will look a little better in that context.

Comment

The fans on the east side deserve a pat on the back for enduring a huge wind. The west side was comfortable. The players likely had some trouble hearing and responding in the huge wind as well as it was very difficult walking when I left the game. It may not have been obvious to those who had access to watch online or television. The wildcat offense was adjusted to fairly quickly and the second half was either adjustments or execution. 200+ yards/20 carries by Strong is a good reflection of the strengths of the offense executing at a decent level including 42 rushing and 15 passing plays. Jaxon Janke is certainly looking like a new regular contributor.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                                1-0 in the MVFC. It a good start. Defense was impressive. Really a a poor performance by the O-line to protect Gibbs. Gibbs didn’t look great either.
                                Between the lack of time he had to set up and throw and the wind, I don't see the lack of passing yards as a problem with Gibbs.

Comment

Working...
                                X