2019 Week #1 Conference Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Week #1 Conference Schedule

Time to separate the men from the boys....

There are some real nice matchups to the first week of the MVFC schedule. SIU at SDSU is not one of them. (All rankings listed in the following matchups are from the 9/22/2019 Coaches Poll.)

#1 NDSU hits the road to face #8 Illinois State. The Bison "caught" a break when ISU reported last week that they lost their top two WR's. Earlier this year they lost redshirt freshman WR Eric Rogers. This puts even more pressure on their All-American RB - James Robinson. True freshman, Kacper Rutkiewicz is their top receiver on their current stat sheet. Lot of pressure on a 5'8" 165 lb. freshman to face the Bison in there first MVFC game of the season. He's averaging 23 yards/catch this year.

#20 YSU at #7 UNI. YSU really hasn't faced anybody this year, but their 4-0 start has them positioned well for the playoffs. That is if the Fighting Pelinis can avoid a losing record in MVFC play. UNI's loss to Weber State, coupled with their 3 overtime loss to Iowa State has them stuck with a 2-2 record heading into conference play. They've arguably have had the toughest FCS schedule thus far. Opened at Iowa State, home victories over Southern Utah and Idaho State, and the 17-29 loss last week at Weber State. They need a win bad to right the ship as they follow up this week's game by traveling to Fargo. Being 2-4 is a tough hole to dig out from, even for thus talented squad.

SIU at #3 SDSU. The Salukis are 2-2 and face a brutal start to their MVFC campaign - @SDSU, ISU Red, YSU. Should be a nice tune-up game for the Jacks prior to heading to Youngstown next week. However, this is Hobo Day where sometimes the distractions of the week can translate to a subpar performance on the field. Stay healthy, expand the playbook and go 1-0 this week.

ISU Blue at USD. The Sycamores were competitive against two FBS programs to start the season, losing to both Kansas and Dayton by a TD. They followed up that with wins over Eastern Kentucky and Eastern Illinois. They could be on a 4-game winning streak when SDSU comes to Terre Haute on October 19th. USD is looking for moral victories wherever they can find them. Last week it turned into an actual victory, 14-6 over UNC in Greeley.

MSU at Western Illinois. Missouri State actually had the lead over Kennesaw State, 13-0 with just under 3 minutes to play in the first half last week. Then reality hit. The Bears could be battling the Yotes for the cellar if they don't get a victory in their next two games, host USD next week. Western has adopted the mantra of "Tradition of Tough" on their web page. So far it has been more tough luck than tough play on the field. Both teams will be looking for the first victory of the season, not just first conference W.

Re: 2019 Week #1 Conference Schedule

Nice summary, but just to clarify, Dayton is not FBS, they are a Pioneer League team. It was an awful loss by the Sycamores.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

My bad, thanks for correcting. That changes their outlook significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
        My bad, thanks for correcting. That changes their outlook significantly.
        And they still had Ryan Boyle at QB in the Dayton game, who is now out for the season after tearing his ACL.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          And they still had Ryan Boyle at QB in the Dayton game, who is now out for the season after tearing his ACL.
          I think USD will win that game easily.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
            I think USD will win that game easily.
            I won't be surprised if they win, but I don't know why they would be favored in this game either. ISUb has a win over EKU and EIU, who aren't great teams, but are also probably a touch better than UNC. That UNC win for the yikes had a lot more to do with how terrible the Bears were and had less to do about USD improving. I think this game might be a pick 'em and ill be surprised if either team wins this by more than two scores.

Comment

Scores for the 10/5/2019 games:

SIU 10, SDSU 28
              NDSU 37, Illinois State 3
              YSU 14, UNI 21
              Indiana State 0, USD 38
              MSU 37, WIU 31

Attendance for the 10/5/2019 games:

SIU at SDSU: 13,776
              NDSU at Illinois State: 13,391*
              YSU at UNI: 10,137
              Indiana State at USD: 5,255
              MSU at WIU: 3,149

*Added later: Illinois State's Hancock Stadium's capacity is listed at 13,391, so the NDSU game must have been a sellout. According to Wikipedia, when Hancock Stadium opened in 1963 and continuing through 1976, the stadium capacity was 18,000. Over the years the capacity has been reduced. A recent $20 million renoovation reduced the capacity to the current 13,391.
              Last edited by JackJD; 10-07-2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Really the only big surprise in the valley through week 1 was USD. Maybe they have figured something out, or maybe their last 2 opponents are just that bad. I'm guessing a little bit of both. I think they have a pretty nice offense, but their defense against good teams is a huge question mark at this point. Could easily see them winning some surprise games and spoiling someone else's season. Don't think they quite have what it takes to get to 7 wins and they playoffs though.

Comment

Yesterday I was driving towards Fargo and tuned in 1660 AM the sports station that includes Saturday's bison games and a NDSU Bison programming . They were discussing Saturday's game with ISU-RED. Despite the graduation mass exodus, the Bison do not appear to have missed a beat. The QB has preformed beautifully and racking up I think 13 td's so far. Get used to names like Trey Lance, QB and Christian Watson, they will soon be household names. Even Sprock the ISU coach was not surprised by the Bison effort. He said they did not surprise him at all they ran the same plays as last year very well executed. This tell us to be exceptionally ready in two weeks or so. Also the rams are getting the job down(OL) and this could spell real trouble. They also mentioned that UNI big gun quit yesterday and will be added to the transfer portal for a Grad transfer. I am sure Westside or some one will comment on this. Sorry did not catch the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Yesterday I was driving towards Fargo and tuned in 1660 AM the sports station that includes Saturday's bison games and a NDSU Bison programming . They were discussing Saturday's game with ISU-RED. Despite the graduation mass exodus, the Bison do not appear to have missed a beat. The QB has preformed beautifully and racking up I think 13 td's so far. Get used to names like Trey Lance, QB and Christian Watson, they will soon be household names. Even Sprock the ISU coach was not surprised by the Bison effort. He said they did not surprise him at all they ran the same plays as last year very well executed. This tell us to be exceptionally ready in two weeks or so. Also the rams are getting the job down(OL) and this could spell real trouble. They also mentioned that UNI big gun quit yesterday and will be added to the transfer portal for a Grad transfer. I am sure Westside or some one will comment on this. Sorry did not catch the name.
                    My opinion of this Bison team is that they are as talented as ever, but very young. They are obviously playing well, but they seem like a team that might drop a game or two unexpectedly. They seem to have had a few more personal foul penalties this year, and I've heard Bison fans mention they seem to be a little more "show-boaty" than years past. That's an indication of a young team, IMO. They'll be tested this Saturday. We really need them to lose 2 conference games so that they can finally go on the road in the playoffs. They haven't had a road playoff game since December of 2010 at EWU. In 2015, they were supposed to go on the road for the semi's, but ISUR effed up and lost, giving the Bison home field all the way to Frisco. If this year's bison team gets a top 2 seed, I think it'll be a very tall task to keep them out of Texas. However, if they lose a couple confereceived games and end up having to travel to JMU or Missoula or Bozeman in a quarterfinal or semi final round, I can see an earlier exit from the playoffs. Of course, if we take care of business and win the games in front of us, we'll be hosting games all the way to Frisco and likely on the other side of the bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                      Really the only big surprise in the valley through week 1 was USD. Maybe they have figured something out, or maybe their last 2 opponents are just that bad. I'm guessing a little bit of both. I think they have a pretty nice offense, but their defense against good teams is a huge question mark at this point. Could easily see them winning some surprise games and spoiling someone else's season. Don't think they quite have what it takes to get to 7 wins and they playoffs though.
                      The margin of victory surprised me, but the outcome did not. ISU Blue is going to have a tough season after losing QB Ryan Boyle, who was one of the better QB's in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                        My opinion of this Bison team is that they are as talented as ever, but very young. They are obviously playing well, but they seem like a team that might drop a game or two unexpectedly. They seem to have had a few more personal foul penalties this year, and I've heard Bison fans mention they seem to be a little more "show-boaty" than years past. That's an indication of a young team, IMO. They'll be tested this Saturday. We really need them to lose 2 conference games so that they can finally go on the road in the playoffs. They haven't had a road playoff game since December of 2010 at EWU. In 2015, they were supposed to go on the road for the semi's, but ISUR effed up and lost, giving the Bison home field all the way to Frisco. If this year's bison team gets a top 2 seed, I think it'll be a very tall task to keep them out of Texas. However, if they lose a couple confereceived games and end up having to travel to JMU or Missoula or Bozeman in a quarterfinal or semi final round, I can see an earlier exit from the playoffs. Of course, if we take care of business and win the games in front of us, we'll be hosting games all the way to Frisco and likely on the other side of the bracket.
                        They are fricking loaded. They may be young, but they are extremely talented, and used to winning, and they expect to.

That beat down of ISU Red at Illinois State should put a big warning sign to everyone. They're good. You're not going to fluke into a win against them.

Comment

Working...
                        X