X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Week: SIU comes to town

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    That's a very dumb debate for a few reasons:

1) All of the anger voiced on the Hobo Day page is misdirected towards the Hobo Day Committee. People don't realize that the committee doesn't set the date, the athletics department does.

2) There are 2 home games in October next year. One is the USD game. One is Halloween. There is no way the athletics department is going to have USD for Hobo Day ever again. Both games are a guranteed revenue generator that helps pay the bills with very good attendance. To combine those games would be creating the potential for one of your 14k+ games to become less than 10k. Stupid.

3) There have been Hobo Days on or near Halloween in the past. This isn't new

4) People are concerned about the safety of their kids trick or treating, which I understand. However, I think the bulk of the Hobo Day parties and the bulk of the families living in Brookings aren't in the same area. North of 3rd street will be the main area of parties and students walking around. South of there, there are fewer rental and fewer students hosting parties, and i assume that''s where the largest number of trick or treaters will be. If you're really concerned about trick or treating safety, drive your kids down to the southern half of town and this is probably a non-issue.

5) People complaining about the late October date are ignorant of the number of times this decade that Hobo Day has been late October. 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016. For people clamoring for a different date would you rather it be 11/14 vs Dixie State? Because it isn't going to be 10/10 vs USD or 9/26 vs ISUB.

6) Get used to a late Hobo Day on even years going forward, because we will continue to host USD in early October for the forsee able future in 2020, 2022, etc.

Edit: 7) Forgot to add, if the trick or treating this is such a huge deal, talk to your City Council rep and Visit Brookings, Inc about the City trying to promote trick or treating on Thursday night to avoid the bulk of the partying. It's going to be a lot easier and more successful to change the night you take your kids out trick or treating than it is to change the Hobo Day game. If the City promotes Thursday night and people are prepared to hand out candy that night, is that not a good compromise?

Second Edit: If Hobo Day gets moved to different weekend, aren't there still going to be a lot of drunk college kids out on Saturday night for Halloween? I'm sure it won't be in the same numbers, but Halloween weekend is one of the biggest party nights of the year for colleges around the country. There's still going to be an awful lot of drunk college kids walking awful round and driving around (unfortunately), regardless of whether 10/31/2020 is Hobo Day.
    I'm not saying it's going to change the date but they certainly are considering according to this interview with President Dunn:

https://www.kcountry102.com/sdsu-pre...hobo-day-2020/

Comment

Back to the game.

Something I don't like, and something we have done over the years... is going for 2 when we missed an earlier XP, and we're ahead.

It really bothers me when we're up 5. Yes, if you get it, you're up 7. I get it.

But I'm not in favor of chasing points from the lead. Just kick it and go up 6...then 2 FG's can only tie you, not beat you if you don't get it. And if they get a TD...gives a chance for them to miss an xp. Or a block.

You don't operate the same way when you're ahead as when you are behind.

(I know there are some who disagree. This is my opinion.)

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
        Back to the game.

Something I don't like, and something we have done over the years... is going for 2 when we missed an earlier XP, and we're ahead.

It really bothers me when we're up 5. Yes, if you get it, you're up 7. I get it.

But I'm not in favor of chasing points from the lead. Just kick it and go up 6...then 2 FG's can only tie you, not beat you if you don't get it. And if they get a TD...gives a chance for them to miss an xp. Or a block.

I agree dont go for 2 if you dont need too. Missing another point isnt wort the risk.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Back to the game.

Except extra points are not a automatic this year with Chase.

Comment

Back to the game.

If its the 4th quarter i go for 2. I thought there was too much time left to go for 2

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              Except extra points are not a automatic this year with Chase.
              He has over his career. He makes the big kicks but misses to many extra points and closer fg attempts.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                I'm not saying it's going to change the date but they certainly are considering according to this interview with President Dunn:

https://www.kcountry102.com/sdsu-pre...hobo-day-2020/
                Hobo Day 2020 has been confirmed for October 31st !

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakPirate View Post
                  Hobo Day 2020 has been confirmed for October 31st !
                  Good deal. That's the way it should be. If there was another non-USD option in October, I'm sure they would have done it. In reading the KSFY press release on it, it sounds like they tried about everything they could, including trying get the game played at Western, which was a horrendously stupid idea. Now a few of the ring leaders of the opposition are spreading a petition online, but it's dead in the water. Dunn is really big on public safety (see tailgating issues), so if he couldn't get something changed for them, it isn't happening. See all you Hobos on Halloween next year!

Comment

I guess I don't see the issue. hobo day or not having Halloween on football game your going to have students drunk going downtown anyway. 99% of kids are supervised when they go trick or treating. I see it has a chance to have kids dress up for the football game and have fun with it. little kids and college students. We might try for the parade and game and still make it home for trick or treating in SF. Maybe I am missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      I guess I don't see the issue. hobo day or not having Halloween on football game your going to have students drunk going downtown anyway. 99% of kids are supervised when they go trick or treating. I see it has a chance to have kids dress up for the football game and have fun with it. little kids and college students. We might try for the parade and game and still make it home for trick or treating in SF. Maybe I am missing something.
                      People with too much time on their hands worrying about nothing.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                      X