X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Week: SIU comes to town

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    Discounted Hobo Day Tickets for Alumni
    If you haven’t gotten your tickets to the Hobo Day football game, the Alumni Association has you covered! We have secured game tickets for alumni for just $20!

The sections available for this are 200, 208, 115 and 124.

Promo Code is: HOBOALUMNI
    PROMO Code

Comment

Looks like there are plenty of seats left for Saturday. With rain forecast in the morning and 40 mph gusts in the afternoon, i dont have a lot of confidence there will be a good walk up crowd. I dont think we will top the beef bowl attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        Looks like there are plenty of seats left for Saturday. With rain forecast in the morning and 40 mph gusts in the afternoon, i dont have a lot of confidence there will be a good walk up crowd. I dont think we will top the beef bowl attendance.
        Unfortunately, I think you're correct. I'll guess somewhere around 13.5k. I'm guessing the crowd that goes to the parade that was on the fence about the game will stay indoors for the afternoon after getting rained on that morning.

Comment

I see the Argus Leader has one of its unscientific, 'who can stuff the ballot box better' "polls" pitting Hobo Day against Dakota Day. If you're so inclined, vote away! I think the "poll" ends this morning (Thursday).

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ll/3833306002/

Comment

Weather.com says winds 25-35...hey, that's better than 40 mph!! If the trend continues, the wind at game time will be only 10-20! Get your friends there! It'll be a good day for outdoor football.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              Weather.com says winds 25-35...hey, that's better than 40 mph!! If the trend continues, the wind at game time will be only 10-20! Get your friends there! It'll be a good day for outdoor football.
              Kelo did say that the stronger winds would be towards Aberdeen so maybe we wont be as strong. And according to their futurecast, it looked like the rain would be out by parade time. There is still 2 days to change it either way and we know for sure that will happen.

Comment

Kelo did say that the stronger winds would be towards Aberdeen so maybe we wont be as strong. And according to their futurecast, it looked like the rain would be out by parade time. There is still 2 days to change it either way and we know for sure that will happen.
                I agree it will be cloudy and breezy but perfect comfy sweatshirt game.
                Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

KELO this morning noted the wind will be calming down in the afternoon. It's going to be excellent Fall football weather. Set the DVR to record the game; go to Brookings to watch the game; watch the game again on Sunday.

Comment

Here is what I'm watching for this weeks game.
                    https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...watch-siu.html

1. J'Bore
                    2. Offensive playcalling
                    3. Defense continueing strong play
                    4. Crowd... enough with the $$$ excuse
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Typical post from me the day before a game we should win.

I'm worried about SIU's offense. They have a history of moving the ball well against the Jackrabbits.

And even when they have had down years... like last year they put up 38 points. 2016 they put up 39.

Hopefully the team comes out ready and prepared. I'm not worried about the offense at this point.

Comment

Hobo Day 2020 will be Oct 31 - Halloween!!

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakPirate View Post
                          Hobo Day 2020 will be Oct 31 - Halloween!!
                          It's not too early to start planning one's costume. Looks like the opponent on 10/31/20 is Western Illinois.

Comment

It's not too early to start planning one's costume. Looks like the opponent on 10/31/20 is Western Illinois.
                            The chairman should not have to use too much imagination to come up with a theme. Something more productive than Wonder. Of course there is no Hobo Day Dance at the Union.(Pun intended. The Hobo Day Dance in the 1950-1960’s was a big deal. Somewhere it was apparently discontinued. Not sure of the point time. The males shaved their beards for their dates to the dance. Long before tailgating.)
                            Last edited by Nidaros; 10-09-2019, 08:30 AM.

Comment

There is an interesting debate on the Hobo Day Facebook page on the topic of having Hobo Day on Halloween.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                There is an interesting debate on the Hobo Day Facebook page on the topic of having Hobo Day on Halloween.
                                That's a very dumb debate for a few reasons:

1) All of the anger voiced on the Hobo Day page is misdirected towards the Hobo Day Committee. People don't realize that the committee doesn't set the date, the athletics department does.

2) There are 2 home games in October next year. One is the USD game. One is Halloween. There is no way the athletics department is going to have USD for Hobo Day ever again. Both games are a guranteed revenue generator that helps pay the bills with very good attendance. To combine those games would be creating the potential for one of your 14k+ games to become less than 10k. Stupid.

3) There have been Hobo Days on or near Halloween in the past. This isn't new

4) People are concerned about the safety of their kids trick or treating, which I understand. However, I think the bulk of the Hobo Day parties and the bulk of the families living in Brookings aren't in the same area. North of 3rd street will be the main area of parties and students walking around. South of there, there are fewer rental and fewer students hosting parties, and i assume that''s where the largest number of trick or treaters will be. If you're really concerned about trick or treating safety, drive your kids down to the southern half of town and this is probably a non-issue.

5) People complaining about the late October date are ignorant of the number of times this decade that Hobo Day has been late October. 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016. For people clamoring for a different date would you rather it be 11/14 vs Dixie State? Because it isn't going to be 10/10 vs USD or 9/26 vs ISUB.

6) Get used to a late Hobo Day on even years going forward, because we will continue to host USD in early October for the forsee able future in 2020, 2022, etc.

Edit: 7) Forgot to add, if the trick or treating this is such a huge deal, talk to your City Council rep and Visit Brookings, Inc about the City trying to promote trick or treating on Thursday night to avoid the bulk of the partying. It's going to be a lot easier and more successful to change the night you take your kids out trick or treating than it is to change the Hobo Day game. If the City promotes Thursday night and people are prepared to hand out candy that night, is that not a good compromise?

Second Edit: If Hobo Day gets moved to different weekend, aren't there still going to be a lot of drunk college kids out on Saturday night for Halloween? I'm sure it won't be in the same numbers, but Halloween weekend is one of the biggest party nights of the year for colleges around the country. There's still going to be an awful lot of drunk college kids walking awful round and driving around (unfortunately), regardless of whether 10/31/2020 is Hobo Day.
                                Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 10-09-2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X