Hobo Week: SIU comes to town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobo Week: SIU comes to town

Looking forward to Hobo Day and the festivities that lead up to it. The forecast is hit or miss with a 30-40% chance of rain and low to mid 60's. It would be fantastic if mother nature could clear the chance of rain and give us a nice early October Saturday to enjoy the Jack.

I'm hopeful for a return and added wrinkles to the creative offense we saw against Minnesota. That the D continues their aggressive style of play and utilizes the deep bench like they have been.

Re: Hobo Week: SIU comes to town

We should win big but SIU has a couple explosive players on both sides of the ball.

Offense:
    WR- Landon Lenoir
    RB- DJ Davis

Defense:
    Anthony Knighton
    Jeremy Chinn

All our all-MVFC type players but I'm not sure the overall talent and depth is present.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      We should win big but SIU has a couple explosive players on both sides of the ball.

Offense:
      WR- Landon Lenoir
      RB- DJ Davis

Defense:
      Anthony Knighton
      Jeremy Chinn

All our all-MVFC type players but I'm not sure the overall talent and depth is present.
      I'm pretty sure Davis was injured in their last game and is out for a few weeks. He has burned us the past couple times we've played them, both on returns and running the ball

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
        I'm pretty sure Davis was injured in their last game and is out for a few weeks. He has burned us the past couple times we've played them, both on returns and running the ball
        You're right. I totally missed this. Sounds like a gruesome injury. Yuck!
        https://thesouthern.com/sports/colle...6f380fb5a.html

Comment

Chinn also injured per Zimmer:

"Southern Illinois coach Nick Hill says the Salukis will be without running back DJ Davis when the Salukis face @GoJacksFB Saturday in the Valley opener. QB Stone Labanowitz and DB Jeremy Chinn are both questionable."

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post

Offense:
            WR- Landon Lenoir
            RB- DJ Davis

Defense:
            Anthony Knighton
            Jeremy Chinn

Wasnt there an Lenoir at western? Lance maybe. He was good from what I remember.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Wasnt there an Lenoir at western? Lance maybe. He was good from what I remember.
              His brother (was on Cowboys roster; placed on injured reserve in August).
              Cousin of a Vikings WR, Laquon Treadwell.
              https://siusalukis.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3972

Comment

I always get a headache thinking about SIU. Their offense works against the Jacks and seems to give us fits. If Chinn can't play there defense will be pretty bad. Knighton is a good player though but I think our tackles can eliminate him. Crider and Giegling are okay and may make some plays.

https://jackrabbitillustrated.blogsp...-illinois.html

Comment

Every time I think of SIU I remember the 2009 November game where it was like 60-70 degrees and perfect out and both teams were ranked high and they came out and absolutely smoked us at home.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    Every time I think of SIU I remember the 2009 November game where it was like 60-70 degrees and perfect out and both teams were ranked high and they came out and absolutely smoked us at home.
                    Jerry Kill was the coach I believe.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      Jerry Kill was the coach I believe.
                      Kill had been the SIU Coach through 2007 season and then left for Northern Illinois. Stig's friend (were grad assistants together at Northern State) Dale Lennon was hired to take over the SIU reins and was the head coach for the 2009 game. I remember that game. I took a quick look on GoJacks.com for some of the details including the following: SIU was ranked #3 in FCS and we were ranked #9. Final score was SIU 34, SDSU 25. SIU repeated as MVFC champs that year. Here are the "game notes" from GoJacks.com:

The loss was SDSU's first at home against a Missouri Valley Football Conference opponent since joining the league ... SIU has won both meetings against the Jackrabbits ... the attendance of 10,317 was a season low ... the Jackrabbits ran a season-high 83 plays, compared to 62 by SIU ... SDSU's 54 pass attempts were three shy of the school record set in 1985 at Northern Arizona ... Fox became the first SDSU player to top 100 receiving yards this season, and moved into fourth place on the Jackrabbit career receiving charts with 142 receptions as he passed Rusty Lenners (137 receptions from 1993-96) ... Fox also moved into 10th place in career receiving yards with 1,630 ... nine different receivers caught at least one pass for the Jackrabbits.

Lennon is now the Athletic Director at U of Mary in Bismarck.

Comment

Co-D coordinator Jimmy Rogers played in the 2009 game.

Comment

Looks like there's a decent chance of showers in the AM Saturday morning, with the probability declining rapidly after noon. I wonder if the forecast will keep some folks away. If the parade is crappy weather, you can bet some people will stay home for the game. I'm going to guess 13.8k for attendance. If the weather doesn't scare anyone away, I'd hope for just shy of 16k.

The good news is that no matter what the weather is in the morning, the turf will be in good shape by 2 PM!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            Was that when they won the conference. I thought sale Lennon was the coach back then
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              Was that when they won the conference. I thought sale Lennon was the coach back then
                              Surely a typo, but it’s Dale Lennon and I was disappointed with his record at SIU and Hill so far has not done much better. So let’s hope we don’t have a 2009 repeat.

Comment

Working...
                              X